Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden problem with TPMS tool

Old 03-08-2010, 09:53 PM
mikefili
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sudden problem with TPMS tool

I have a Tire Rack reset tool, it says ATEQ on the left front, and VT10
on the right side. I have reset both the stock wheels and my track wheels many times with no problems. I decided to get a jump on getting ready to go to Palm Beach Raceway with Hooked On Driving this saturday by changing wheels and tires tonight, I put the car in Learn mode, and started to set the sensors, I did the first 3 wheels without a problem, when I got to the last left rear the green light on the tool started to flash quickly before the sensor learned, I then tried 3 new batteries in the tool. Each time I press the left side button the light goes solid green for about 5 seconds and then flashes fast and the sensor will not learn. The instructions that came with the device does not say which of the 2 buttons to press, I have been pressing the left one, although I do not know what the right button is used for.
does anyone have any idea what is going on, do you think the reset tool has gone bad? What is the button on the right of the tool used for?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a different tool (TIPS) but sometimes I also have problems and it will not work correctly. When this happens I drive the car around for 5-10 minutes and try again. I have always been able to make it work this way. Perhaps need to "wake-up" the sensors in the wheels???

Dean
Old 03-08-2010, 11:02 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I've used a bunch of different tools, but never an ATEQ VT-10.

However, I have read instructions for using the tool, and you need to use the "LEFT" button for our Schrader sensors. Here's a link to info on the Tire Rack site:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=111

Read the info there and you'll see:

Compatible with all current TPMS sensors, the left button triggers Schrader and Siemens sensors. The right button triggers all other factory O.E. sensors (including Lite-on, Beru, TRW, Pacific and Lear). Note that though the tool does trigger Pacific sensors, most vehicles with these sensors installed (Lexus, Toyota, Scion, etc.) still require a trip to the dealer for a complete TPMS reset.
I don't know the meaning of any flashing lights on the tool, but in the info on the Tire Rack site it indicates there are 2 lights: a yellow light illuminates when the tool is transmitting; a red light indicates that the battery is low.

So....I don't know what a rapid flashing green light would mean.

Good luck!

Bob
Old 03-08-2010, 11:07 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

sounds like the sensor in tire could have went bad also.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 AM
mikefili
Pro

Thanks so much for your replies, I just read the info @ tire racks site, you think I would have done that first. I guess the light is yellow and not green, looks green to me, and I have been pressing the left button, I think it is the tool and not the sensors because I now cannot set the first 3 wheels, light stays solid for about 5 seconds before flashing, seems that the solid light is the learn mode and once it starts to flash will not learn, guess I will try to buy new batteries and try again, low bat light is not on and other batteries I tried were out of a new package. I think the tool has gone bad, like I say I have reset the wheels many times before.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:55 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Try a new set of batteries, I was having trouble with mine, changed batteries and cleaned terminals and now works fine!!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefili
I have a Tire Rack reset tool, it says ATEQ on the left front, and VT10
on the right side. I have reset both the stock wheels and my track wheels many times with no problems. I decided to get a jump on getting ready to go to Palm Beach Raceway with Hooked On Driving this saturday by changing wheels and tires tonight, I put the car in Learn mode, and started to set the sensors, I did the first 3 wheels without a problem, when I got to the last left rear the green light on the tool started to flash quickly before the sensor learned, I then tried 3 new batteries in the tool. Each time I press the left side button the light goes solid green for about 5 seconds and then flashes fast and the sensor will not learn. The instructions that came with the device does not say which of the 2 buttons to press, I have been pressing the left one, although I do not know what the right button is used for.
does anyone have any idea what is going on, do you think the reset tool has gone bad? What is the button on the right of the tool used for?
If you can't figure it out, call ATEQ Corp @ 734 451-9449 and ask for Jim Chen. His address is 42000 Koppernick Rd. Unit A4, Canton Mi 48187-2409. He was very helpful supporting my VT10. I first talked with him and then corresponded by e-mail via Jchen@atequsa.com.
Hoping you work this out.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 PM
mikefili
Pro

Thank you all who have helped, I received a very prompt PM form Luke @ Tire Rack, he just picked up my problem surfing the forum, he suggested a few things to try. Today after work I took the battery out for an extended time, about 20 mins, put it back in and reset the sensors without a problem. I guess more and more electronics seem to respond to that type of thing, sort of like re-booting a computer or cell phone. By the way, I received not one but 2 return calls from a customer service person at Tire Rack, both from the same person on 2 days with a real desire to help. Great customer support from Tire Rack!

Get notified of new replies

To Sudden problem with TPMS tool

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sudden problem with TPMS tool