Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Asphalt Ventures event at VIR today and yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:24 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asphalt Ventures event at VIR today and yesterday

Ashpalt Ventures did another outstanding event yesterday and today at VIR. Upper 60's and sunny both days made a great two days off work. Plenty of track time, excellent in car and class room instruction. I learned more at this event than my first 3 events combined! I'll definitely be tracking with these guys again.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:15 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DansBlkonBlkZ06
Ashpalt Ventures did another outstanding event yesterday and today at VIR. Upper 60's and sunny both days made a great two days off work. Plenty of track time, excellent in car and class room instruction. I learned more at this event than my first 3 events combined! I'll definitely be tracking with these guys again.
Sounds good--what's the format--how many sessions how long? What cars do folks bring--a good mix or mostly just one Marque? Went to their site--can't find an event cost either. Wish they had more scheduled.
The last 2 days would have been great! Glad you had a great time & got to learn so much!

Andy

Last edited by sothpaw2; 03-09-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Andy,

The majority of the Asphalt Ventures events are clinics of some sort with a base of Driver's Education sessions and Open Lapping to fill out the event.

At this particular event in addition to an Intermediate Level DE group and an Solo Driver Open Lapping group, there was an Advanced Instruction Clinic on Monday and an Advanced Driving Clinic on Tuesday.

The focus of Monday's Advanced Instructing Clinic was not to certify/sign-off new instructors, it was to improve the toolset and knowledge of existing instructors. Teaching you how to be a better instructor, how to relate to your student better, how to improve the skills of your student quicker/better, etc. There were exercises and methodologies for the Instructor Clinic attendees to practice with their DE students throughout the day so they had immediate application on the tools/skills they were learning.

The focus of Tuesday's Advanced Driving Clinic was to improve the driver's toolset, knowledge and skills to make you a better driver. The end result is driving smoother and faster. In addition to lots of in-depth discussions on the mental side of driving, there were also numerous on-track sessions to specifically practice Visual/Aural/Kinesthetic inputs, Trailing Throttle Oversteer and Throttle Oversteer, No Braking/Carrying Momentum, Left Foot Braking, Heel/Toe, Side-by-Side with a Partner and Passing, Serpentine Passing where 6 cars constantly weave in and out of each other, etc.

DE sessions are typically 20-25 minutes long with 4-5 of them each day. Open Lapping sessions are usually in 45 minute to 1.5 hour blocks. The Clinic sessions vary throughout the day depending on what skill is being worked on.

The next Asphalt Ventures event will be September 18-19 at the NCCAR facility in Roanoke Rapids, NC. Registration and pricing is listed on http://av.motorsportreg.com. The September event will be made available in the next several weeks.

Hope this answers some of your questions on the AV format and background.

-Kevin
Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Dan,

Ready for another ride?

-Kevin
Old 03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

It was a great day to be at the track. I am really surprised there were no more people there, especially for the open lapping sessions. I cannot believe how much I learned, I mean really helpful stuff. The toe curling was big help to me as my car is really throttle sensitive, but the toe curling really helped in the uphill esses. The left foot braking, a lot places to use that at VIR. The heel/toe then shifting left foot to brake while still braking may take some practice. The soft vision will take work for me as I get really focused on right in front of my hood. But I was getting better at it at the end of the day i.e. I was hitting a lot of curbs. That being said, the soft vision was why I spun in #4. I was lining up 5a and 5b and I wasn't really done with #4.

It was an incredible class and well worth the money and time. Chuck Hawkes seems like a really nice guy and talks like he knows something. I am eager to get back to VIR to practice some more. I highly recommend to anyone.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin,
Did you get my finger prints out of your dash yet? You took that Z06 where I didn't think it could go. I had to clean my shorts out after that ride along! What a rush!

Get notified of new replies

To Asphalt Ventures event at VIR today and yesterday

Quick Reply: Asphalt Ventures event at VIR today and yesterday