Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake lines: Anyone still run original rubber on 2002?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Brake lines: Anyone still run original rubber on 2002?

Hi,

I've read here many a time that one of the first upgrades to the braking system is to change the rubber lines. Many also say they expected the pedal feel to change and it didn't.

Not expecting (or needing) the pedal feel to change---should I do this upgrade anyway just because my rubber lines are almost 8 yr old? Has anyone run lines that old w/race pads (ie hot!)?

Thanks for any opinions/experiences,

Andy
Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been running on my stock 02 lines and they feel fine, they are also in really good condition. I plan to upgrade here soon, but want to be sure I get the correct type as I have read a lot of threads saying that certain lines cause wheel speed sensor errors and require grounding.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:45 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I'm still on my original 02's. On the track I run Hawk DTC 70 pads/Stock rotors/stock calipers. I'm probably pushing my luck, but I've never experienced fade, or boiled the fluid. I've cracked pdas and rotors though.

Last edited by GeorgeZNJ; 03-09-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:34 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
I'm still on my original 02's. On the track I run Hawk DTC 70 pads/Stock rotors/stock calipers. I'm probably pushing my luck, but I've never experienced fade, or boiled the fluid. I've cracked pdas and rotors though.
Wow thanks George! You have a lot of track time! That's very impressive--I just went to race pads last year so I was not sure how long the lines handle the heat. Are you still on the original calipers or rebuilt or went to C6 calipers?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:20 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I run SS lines because everyone runs them in my race class. Great reason eh??? I have not found a set of SS lines I like because they all use round banjo fittings or a rube goldberg of multiple screw in fittings. The OEM rubber line uses a banjo block which is a DOT legal darn near foolproof design. IMO the best lines for stock calipers would be SS banjo block lines.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Hi,

I've read here many a time that one of the first upgrades to the braking system is to change the rubber lines. Many also say they expected the pedal feel to change and it didn't.

Not expecting (or needing) the pedal feel to change---should I do this upgrade anyway just because my rubber lines are almost 8 yr old? Has anyone run lines that old w/race pads (ie hot!)?

Thanks for any opinions/experiences,

Andy
My 02 has 97k and has been tracked heavily and shared with others at track and is original except for rotors and pads. I am now changing the hoses under the hood, the brake lines (will be SS) and suspension, it's time but up til now no problem with brakes at all.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

On my '88 I was astounded at how much the line flexed. They were quite a bit older though! Grab the brake line and have someone press the brake pedal.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:20 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,393 Likes on 746 Posts

'00 Hardtop, almost 200K miles on original brake lines. 8 years of autocross, DEs, no problems at all.

One thing I've found is the pedal seems to get a bit lower as the pads get thinner. Not pad taper, I'm familiar with that and know the difference. Not bad fluid, this happens while on the street. Go from thin pads to thick pads and the pedal seems to get higher and a bit firmer.

Now, I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but IMO it must be related to how far the pistons are extended out of the caliper.

OK, folks, fire away.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-10-2010, 12:44 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rocsvette
My 02 has 97k and has been tracked heavily and shared with others at track and is original except for rotors and pads. I am now changing the hoses under the hood, the brake lines (will be SS) and suspension, it's time but up til now no problem with brakes at all.
Original calipers too? That's amazing!

Thanks for all the replies--I'm really kinda surprised!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:47 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I run SS lines because everyone runs them in my race class. Great reason eh??? I have not found a set of SS lines I like because they all use round banjo fittings or a rube goldberg of multiple screw in fittings. The OEM rubber line uses a banjo block which is a DOT legal darn near foolproof design. IMO the best lines for stock calipers would be SS banjo block lines.
Bob,

I remember now that this was one of the big reasons why I've never upgraded--worried about issues w/ the fittings and installing them correctly. Is the install your issue w/the round banjo fittings etc? Or do they require service or something aggrevating that makes you not like the SS lines?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:01 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a ok picture of how our lines get attached. Over 30 years of racing all types of lines, we find these to work the best.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:05 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is one of those "everyone does it and it's cheap" upgrades. I have never heard of an OEM line failure, and for me there was absolutely no change in the pedal feel.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy
I think this is one of those "everyone does it and it's cheap" upgrades. I have never heard of an OEM line failure, and for me there was absolutely no change in the pedal feel.
I have seen it happen. The last time was last summer with a new C6 he was going into a turn at the end of a straight at 130 hit the brakes and the line blew. Luckily he is a very good drive and kept calm he was able to scrub speed off in the grass and mud before the wall. when he hit it was slow enough not to do any real damage.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I run the DRM SS lines, but ran the original 01's up till not that long ago
Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 02 hits the track 10 times a year, (Rd. Atl). I still use the OEM lines, (but have SS from MTI still in the box). I use the OEM caliber, disc with Hawk DTC-70 pads. So far, good results. (MY car only has 10K miles and is u ed 65% on the track these days.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MYRX
My 02 hits the track 10 times a year, (Rd. Atl). I still use the OEM lines, (but have SS from MTI still in the box). I use the OEM caliber, disc with Hawk DTC-70 pads. So far, good results. (MY car only has 10K miles and is u ed 65% on the track these days.
The calipers are OEM, but are they the originals or have you had to replace?

Thanks for the replies, guys! Great info. here!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 02 still has the original calibers. But that may change this year. I already have new disc as well as the afoementioned SS Lines. Last year was the first for running DTC-70. Before, I ran OEM and Hawk plus. Upon entering HPDE3, I made the swap. I bet that I am easier on brakes than most. Thinking of having both street and track set-ups in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake lines: Anyone still run original rubber on 2002?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:21 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by myrx
thinking of having both street and track set-ups in the future.
tta?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Flex the hose and you will see the rubber cracking if they are heading for bad shape. My front 01 Dodge dooley lines were cracked last year so I swapped them out. No clue why but one was really cracked and the others not at all. DRM lines are great if you decide to swap them.

Brake lines can also collapse inside with age. Funny thing is it happen on my big truck and fluid would go in fine but not release. The caliper would drag and get so hot it would near lock up. I was chasing a caliper problem as I thought it was lack of use on truck. Turned out I finally dumped the lines and it was cured. Nothing visible on the exterior to suggest the lines one way flow.

DRM or stock lines will not hurt so it may be time for the small price and the great importance of brakes.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:36 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Flex the hose and you will see the rubber cracking if they are heading for bad shape. My front 01 Dodge dooley lines were cracked last year so I swapped them out. No clue why but one was really cracked and the others not at all. DRM lines are great if you decide to swap them.

Brake lines can also collapse inside with age. Funny thing is it happen on my big truck and fluid would go in fine but not release. The caliper would drag and get so hot it would near lock up. I was chasing a caliper problem as I thought it was lack of use on truck. Turned out I finally dumped the lines and it was cured. Nothing visible on the exterior to suggest the lines one way flow.

DRM or stock lines will not hurt so it may be time for the small price and the great importance of brakes.
They have always been in good shape but I'll take a special close look when next I do a flush. I just figured that the heat of race pads might be an issue but it seems that's not really the case. Will go DRM to replace.

Quick Reply: Brake lines: Anyone still run original rubber on 2002?