Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on mixing tire brands?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thoughts on mixing tire brands?

Quick question for the experts:

I just bought another C5 Z06 for the track that I'll be taking to VIR on the 25th. I don't want to spend a thousand dollars for new tires at the moments, especially since the tires that came with the car are like new. My question to you all is how good of an idea is it to run two different brands of tire from the front to rear on the race track? As it sits it had BFGoodrich KDW2s on the rear and Dunlop DZ101s on the front. I have done several HPDEs and feel comfortable pushing the car as long as the tires perform well. Is this combination going to create a hazard on the track? I appreciate any comments/suggestions!

Kyle
Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

It won't creat a hazard as long as you realize the tires won't perform exactly the same. You will have to feel them out the first session and see what they do and compensate for it.

I've run any mixture of hoosiers, kumhos, goodyears, and b.f. goodrichs. They may not all be fast combos, but they were what my dad or I could afford at the time.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I've mixed tires a lot...more than doing a square set up. Its pretty easy to adapt your driving.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:30 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure they are the same age--look at the sidewalls for dates--there are coded numbers.

I have mixed but I always make sure the newer, stickier tire is on the rear. Understeer is easier to correct at least for the novice.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:19 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I too have mixed tire brands and treadwear on occassion over the years. It is a way to alter the handling of the car that is more drastic than air pressure changes, but not as drastic as suspension changes.

As long as you are aware that there may be handling differences and ease into building your speed, you will be fine.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input...good to hear I won't be first to try it. I'm anticipating quite a bit of understeer with the dunlops up front. Hopefully it'll be easy to correct though. Will be interesting...

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on mixing tire brands?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on mixing tire brands?