Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which camber gage for C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:33 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which camber gage for C5Z

Which camber gage is recommended for a C5Z? Longacre has several, magnetic, one with a GM adapter, and fancy ones with "quick set".

I'm hoping one of the $100 - $150 ones will work ok and will also work OK on my DD (a Subaru). Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris Shay
Old 03-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I lay a bunch of towels under my Longacre when I use the magnet base.

The Smart Camber is insanely overpriced. You can build one using the Sears digital level with a bit of aluminum angle for about $50. I did just because I bought The Sears level for other things. I built a frame like the Smart Camber.
The Sears level is dead on with both the Longacre and the Smart Camber.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:59 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid for the SmartCamber. They're a local company in the SF Bay area.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Here's the one I use
Old 03-15-2010, 07:59 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have both smartcamber and longacre bubble level. The smartcamber is nice because it can be used anywhere, but I still use the bubble level when I can. It's hard to screw up a bubble. The catch is that the car must be on a level plane. The above longacre adapter does not work on 18" diameter wheels. At least not on my CCW C10's. It's just not big enough. What I did was cut a 2"x2" length of square tubing. I lay it flat against my wheel/tire and stick (I use the magnetic adapter, but not necessary) my bubble level to it. Works very well. A piece of aluminum would be easier to move around because of weight, but the guage must be held on.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Gary at Hardbar is selling this unit:
http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=131

Bill
Old 03-16-2010, 12:51 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxer6
Which camber gage is recommended for a C5Z? Longacre has several, magnetic, one with a GM adapter, and fancy ones with "quick set".

I'm hoping one of the $100 - $150 ones will work ok and will also work OK on my DD (a Subaru). Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris Shay
For the money ($119 @ Amazon) I'd buy a 24 inch electronic level with built-in laser. I use my 20 yr old Smart Level (now M-D BP) left over from contracting days but purchased a separate laser to shoot thrust angle. This way you can get both at once. Plus, you can build a garage with it.

--Dan
Old 03-16-2010, 09:26 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
The above longacre adapter does not work on 18" diameter wheels. At least not on my CCW C10's. It's just not big enough. What I did was cut a 2"x2" length of square tubing. I lay it flat against my wheel/tire and stick (I use the magnetic adapter, but not necessary) my bubble level to it. Works very well. A piece of aluminum would be easier to move around because of weight, but the guage must be held on.
Not sure when you got yours but, I bought mine 2 years ago and it works on both my CCW Classics and CCW C12's. It is at the end position, but it's enough to get to the outside lip on the rim. I've always had good results with it. Enough to win a TTS National Championship at least
Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I actually have an antique bubble gauge also........
Old 03-16-2010, 11:29 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I paid for the SmartCamber. They're a local company in the SF Bay area.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by dbratten
For the money ($119 @ Amazon) I'd buy a 24 inch electronic level with built-in laser. I use my 20 yr old Smart Level (now M-D BP) left over from contracting days but purchased a separate laser to shoot thrust angle. This way you can get both at once. Plus, you can build a garage with it.

--Dan
My Sears electronic level with laser cost me about $70. I have used it several times to do a quick check of camber and does a great job setting thrust angle. I also have a cheap dirt track style camber gauge I bought about 10 years ago that has magnets that attach to the hub. The only problem is some of the wheels are so deep and the magnets so short that the unit can't clear the spokes on those wheels.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Which camber gage for C5Z

Quick Reply: Which camber gage for C5Z