Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlap RR Slicks

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 AM
The Bus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dunlap RR Slicks

I got a chance to pickup 4 Dunlap RR slicks [296 660 17] with 90% rubber still left. I was wonder how they compare to A6s and R6s on stickness???????

Any info appreciated. THANKS
Old 03-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are fresh, they are much faster. They do require mega camber to work(and prevent cording) and they prefer a WIDE wheel. Hot pressure is about 30 psi. They don't have a date code(if they do, I was not able to figure it out.) I used Formula V compound to freshen them up. I picked up a set of 300/660-18's last year and they were the best tires I ever tried.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I don't have specific as above, but I've used various scrubs (Dunlop, Yokohoma etc) and I've always been happy with them. I don't know where you are getting them, but assuming you are getting them dirt cheap, you can't really go wrong!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:27 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

You can use a durometer to compare them to a6/r6/710. I get some YOKO race slicks from time to time (GT3 cup car tires). A little small for c5z but they are ok.

IMO they NEED HEAT in them more than a6/710 for them to stick, once they are heated they are pretty good.

For autox they are a lesser tire than a6/710.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:01 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That may be true of the YOKOHAMA, but it is NOT true of the Dunlops. I used them last year in Arizona. They stick immediately. They are the softest compound I have ever seen. The problem is they don't last very long. The Michelin Race Slicks are superior but very pricy.
With the Dunlops your best lap times will be in the first 4-6 laps.

As for pressure, make sure you get the right info. Call Dunlop and ask. Several of us in Arizona have run them at 31front 29 rear COLD and had very good success. Your experience may be different. That's why you should talk to an expert.

Cheers,
CV

Last edited by az55; 03-16-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that any true NON-DOT race slick with a stiff sidewall is going to be WAY faster than any R6/A6/710 on a road course. The Pirelli 305/660/18's that I used one day were AMAZING. Soooo much grip.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:06 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by az55
That may be true of the YOKOHAMA, but it is NOT true of the Dunlops. I used them last year in Arizona. They stick immediately. They are the softest compound I have ever seen. The problem is they don't last very long. The Michelin Race Slicks are superior but very pricy.
With the Dunlops your best lap times will be in the first 4-6 laps.

As for pressure, make sure you get the right info. Call Dunlop and ask. Several of us in Arizona have run them at 31front 29 rear COLD and had very good success. Your experience may be different. That's why you should talk to an expert.

Cheers,
CV

Yup, could be, I only have used the yoko's.

I assumed since the OP asked about A6 that he was asking about autox, maybe he is just interested in track stuff.

Having said that, I do not know of any national champion (Solo) drivers using these in the classes that allow slicks. That is usually the "acid" test.

If a tire is not winning at (Solo / Pro Solo) nationals, it's not the fastest tire. No warmup laps in Solo/Pro Solo.

Last edited by froggy47; 03-16-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:44 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

The real question is what Dunlops? Dunlop makes slicks with several levels of engineering. Ask Lou at LG Motorsports how he found that out. Lou would get one type of Dunlop and Bobby Rahal would get some rather different Dunlops. You just have to love the politics of the tire industry.

Right now Hoosier owns the market for us poor people. Kumho has dropped out of Motorsports for the most part. They're selling old technology and their motorsports budget has been destroyed.

I'm going to try a new Goodyear DOT tire at Homestead this weekend. It'll be interesting to see how they work.

Always see what the winning cars at national events have mounted. Those guys spend money on the best - whether it be track or autocross. They vote for the best tire with their checkbooks.

Richard Newton
Speed TV Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by rfn026
The real question is what Dunlops? Dunlop makes slicks with several levels of engineering. Ask Lou at LG Motorsports how he found that out. Lou would get one type of Dunlop and Bobby Rahal would get some rather different Dunlops. You just have to love the politics of the tire industry.

Right now Hoosier owns the market for us poor people. Kumho has dropped out of Motorsports for the most part. They're selling old technology and their motorsports budget has been destroyed.

I'm going to try a new Goodyear DOT tire at Homestead this weekend. It'll be interesting to see how they work.

Always see what the winning cars at national events have mounted. Those guys spend money on the best - whether it be track or autocross. They vote for the best tire with their checkbooks.

Richard Newton
Speed TV Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidney004
If they are fresh, they are much faster. They do require mega camber to work(and prevent cording) and they prefer a WIDE wheel. Hot pressure is about 30 psi. They don't have a date code(if they do, I was not able to figure it out.) I used Formula V compound to freshen them up. I picked up a set of 300/660-18's last year and they were the best tires I ever tried.
What is your opinion on Formula V, or anyone else's for that matter?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:48 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was using Dunlop slicks (the LG 300/660-18 Scrubs) last year and I found them way stickier then my R6's. Once I finish off the Dunlops (maybe one or two events left in them) I will start using the 2 full sets of the Pirelli slicks (305/660/18 scrubs) I bought end of last season.

My hoosiers are pretty new but are now my back ups.

For my Dunlops, I was running them with a cold pressure of about 24/26 (in summer temp) and I have aggressive camber settings.

Steve
Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
What is your opinion on Formula V, or anyone else's for that matter?
I have used it for years and recommend it. The first two sessions are the fastest and the tires will gradually degrade from there but always better than non treated tires. I have found treated tires to be conservatively about a second faster on a 2 minute course than untreated tires. I have only used them on scrubs.
I apply it in a well ventilated area with neoprene gloves and a rolloprep
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecID=5564
I typically apply between 6-9 coats.

Originally Posted by az55

The best source for technical information on Dunlop slicks is SASCO, who distributes them to ALMS racers in the US and has a technical liason with the factory engineers.
http://www.sascosports.com/products/products.htm
When I was at the Rahal BMW Dunlop test session at Laguna Seca last April hoping to score some of those tires(not to be, they slash the tires the BMW's use, which are the best ones ) the English engineers I spoke to recommended 30 psi hot for a heavy car like ours. I asked about the different types of slicks that they made and other than compounds, the BMW's are a development tire and the standard GT, which is used in ALMS, FIA GT2 and GT3. They said that they are constantly updating their standard slicks based on what they learn with their development team.
The tires are extremely light to minimize rotating mass, compared to R compounds or street tires, there is no rubber on the interior of the carcass body to save weight which means that they can never be patched.

Get notified of new replies

To Dunlap RR Slicks

Quick Reply: Dunlap RR Slicks