Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I have any issues with this setup (tires)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:30 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Will I have any issues with this setup (tires)

I was given a set of wagon wheels and want to put a good set of street/track tires I was looking at the nitto nt05.

the rims are 17x8.5/18x9.5
i was looking at these nitto sizes
275/40/17 (they dont make an oem size this is .02 inches smaller in overall diameter)
275/40/18 (which is the same size as oem)
will the active handling system pitch a fit on the fact that the front is the same width as the rear?
or should i step up to a 295/35/18 which is roughly .54 inches smaller in overall diameter but wider in the rear.

They will be used for autox and hpde events nothing very serious just a beginner looking for a nice set of weekend tires.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 03-20-2010, 06:44 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
I was given a set of wagon wheels and want to put a good set of street/track tires I was looking at the nitto nt05.

the rims are 17x8.5/18x9.5
i was looking at these nitto sizes
275/40/17 (they dont make an oem size this is .02 inches smaller in overall diameter)
275/40/18 (which is the same size as oem)
will the active handling system pitch a fit on the fact that the front is the same width as the rear?
or should i step up to a 295/35/18 which is roughly .54 inches smaller in overall diameter but wider in the rear.

They will be used for autox and hpde events nothing very serious just a beginner looking for a nice set of weekend tires.

Thanks in Advance!
The computer will have no problem with those diameters - front & rear. The computer doesn't care about the widths.

However, I'm a little concerned about putting a 275 tire on a wheel that is only 8.5" wide.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 03-20-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:14 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
The computer will have no problem with those diameters - front & rear. The computer doesn't care about the widths.

However, I'm a little concerned about putting a 275 tire on a wheel that is only 8.5" wide.
thanks for the info on the computer not caring about the width.

as far as a 275 on a 8.5 rim, i have the same feeling as well, my past experiences with nitto tires have been that they run a little narrower than indicated so im hoping its the same case with the 275, if not then ill probably look at some other company's offerings
Old 03-21-2010, 07:41 AM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran Kuhmo XSs in 275/35-18 on OEM 8.5 rims for AutoX (as well as on the street) with good results. You should be fine.

I'm driving a C6 - 285s on the back. You may experience some oversteer but that should be managable playing with pressures and your driving.

Get notified of new replies

To Will I have any issues with this setup (tires)

Quick Reply: Will I have any issues with this setup (tires)