Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25 hrs at Thunder Hill

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 25 hrs at Thunder Hill

Is there such a race at this track, "Versus" has an 1 hr show schedule for next week IIRC.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:41 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cloaked
Is there such a race at this track, "Versus" has an 1 hr show schedule for next week IIRC.
Oh yes! Sponsored by NASA. I know the 2008 Champion, David Bahr.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:43 AM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, as mentioned held by NASA. I believe the 25 hrs. Of Thunderhill is known to be the longest race in America. We ran t
last year's ('09)race & finished 2nd overall to Flying Lizard car. Last year's race set a record for most laps ever! Pretty impressive if you think about fact that the track was not lit up at all & it had less caution in comparison to this years 24 hrs. In Daytona. It is mostly (if not all) privateer.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Yep, it's been there quite a while. I ran in 03 & 04, crewed there 6 times.
Yep, it does get dark in the back, fun though.
Damn cold most of the time.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:37 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh it's real alright, and becoming more prestigious every year.

The 1 hour special centers around 6 teams who prepared for the race and all the challenges they had to overcome. I think it will be very interesting for those of us who want to run it in the future.

Cheers,
CV
Old 03-21-2010, 05:16 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

A couple of local SE racers and I have been kicking around the idea of running the 25hr. I'm curious from those who have run it to find out what it would take financially to run a C5 and be competitive.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
A couple of local SE racers and I have been kicking around the idea of running the 25hr. I'm curious from those who have run it to find out what it would take financially to run a C5 and be competitive.
Talk to Arron Phadt. he ran a car there a couple years ago. Lots of planning for the execution of all the possibilities of an endurance race.

Do it, it is a blast
Old 03-21-2010, 08:00 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From our (crew) prespective, if it's your first time, the focus we believe should be on lasting or finishing. Primarily on the durability of the car. Cost is all relative. When we ran last year, the 997 cup car cost 100k. Parts & labor to prep it ~10k-15k. Plus food, lodging & crews. Then the owner of the car spent another 20k-25k to bring the car up to "ready to race " condition. The car was pretty banged up after the race. To recoup some of the owners cost back, he made a deal with a number of gentlemen driver that paid the owner from 10k-20k (depending on how many stint a driver did). The owner & other driver were pretty happy we finished even happier we finished 2nd overall considering they were driving the car like a bumper car. OTOH, the team next to our pit ran a Mazda rx7 & their crew consisted of friend, girlfriends family relative. They only had 2 drivers I believe and they took a good amount of break in between 11pm-4am. They were a lot of fun to be pit next with. Really loose & all about having a good time & finishing.

But even if you plan on running like the guys next to us, it's still going to cost a healthy penny. Having friends & relative to volunteer to help for free will go a long way. Either way, IMO that it's a lot of fun. Although my prespective is from being a crew member. I magine it's a lot more fun if you're driving.

Get notified of new replies

To 25 hrs at Thunder Hill

Quick Reply: 25 hrs at Thunder Hill