Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some advanced driving/racing school recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Bahnzii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for some advanced driving/racing school recommendations...

Looking for some schools in/near California.

I want to take my skills to the next level this year.
I would like to do some TimeAttack/TT and then move into wheel 2 wheel next year.

I haven't decided yet on what class to run in. Maybe SpecE30 or ??

Any and all input is welcome
Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find yourself a driving coach to work with, someone like Mike Skeen. That way you work with your own car.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:35 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

You might consider Bondurant in Phoenix. One can usually get a good discount this time of year. In addition, you might be able to use this discount coupon, too.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...rtificate.html
Old 03-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Where in Ca., or does it matter?
There's quite a few good schools.
Bondurant
Skip Barber
Jim Russell
Spring Mountain

Also, do you want to attend a school that will get you your license, NASA or SCCA?
How much are you willing to spend?
What's your timeline, how soon?

I agree with the private coaching if you're going to use your current car. And with a private instructor, you get the one on one all day. I've done private coaching with guys who told me that in a school, they got dfferent instructors every session and felt like they had to start over each time.
If you go to hire a coach, ask them if they use trackmaps for the debrief and if they use an intercom. And tell them that you're planning to head to W2W.

Your best bang for the buck is a private coach for a couple of HPDEs and the NASA/SCCA license schools. This would be less expensive than one of the pro schools but, the licensing schools only happen once or twice a year.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Bahnzii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^thanks for the feedback...
Doesn't really matter where, as long as it in the Western states so that I can drive to it (Ca, Nv, Or, Wa, Ut, etc, etc...).

Has anyone tried this place?
http://www.drivingconcepts.com/

I had someone else recommend them but this is the first I have heard of them. Sounds interesting and very cost effective.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I've never heard of them but that dosen't say that they're good or bad.

You're going to get something out of any school you choose. I've been thru a larger school a long time ago and have been an instructor in a smaller school, they all have something to offer.

This school is not an accredited school by either NASA or SCCA, that may not be important to you. You will have to pay to go to another school if you want a license next year.

And IIRC, NASA has a requirement that you do x amount of their HPDEs before you attend their competition school.

I'd suggest thet you review the requirements for a comp license if you are serious about moving up.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm no Michael Schumacher but FWIW...I think professional instruction is worthwhile but it can be very expensive. IMO for schools like Bondurant or Spring Mountain to be worthwhile you need to track your own car regularly after taking the course. The school provides an excellent foundation but there's only so much you can do in a few days. You need constant repetition to apply and refine what you learn in school. You need to ingrain what you've learned and make it second nature. It's the old adage...practice, practice, practice!

A dedicated one-on-one instructor is great but I also believe you benefit receiving instruction from a variety of competent driver/instructors. Each instructor has their own unique expertise and 'style' and you can get something special from each. Organizations such as NASA (and I imagine SCCA) generally have very talented driver/instructors. Maybe take a little time to learn which instructors may benefit you the most. I suggest after taking a course from a school like Bondurant or Spring Mountain you track your own car constantly and utilize the more local NASA or SCCA instructors. Instruction is invaluable but when all is said and done it's constant seat time that will benefit you most. Have fun!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did the Skip Barber 3 day race school at Laguna Seca last year, and just got back from their 2 day advanced school. Last year I was in the open wheel formula cars, this year the MX5 (Miata) cup cars. I'm too big to race in the formula cars, but fit fine in the MX5.

They were both great experiences and I highly recommend them.

If you stick with the Skip Barber program you can arrive and drive. They furnish identical cars. You just show up and drive the races. It's expensive, but if you factor in all the real costs of racing your own car, it's probably actually cheaper.

Bondurant would be good too because they use Corvettes in some of their schools. They also have an arrive and drive racing program (open wheel formula cars).

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for some advanced driving/racing school recommendations...

Quick Reply: Looking for some advanced driving/racing school recommendations...