Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot® Sport PS2™ opinon for a street tire on my Grand Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Pilot® Sport PS2™ opinon for a street tire on my Grand Sport?

How are they on the street? I had Michelin on their now not sure but they are 6-7 years old. I see tread wear is 220 vs 500 for the other one they make.

Goodyear feed back or BFG all for the street.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:12 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I had Pilots on my '95, but they were all-season tires

Great in an ice storm
Old 03-21-2010, 07:15 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I love them on my C4 and it's not built for runflats. BY FAR, the smoothest, quietest, and the stickest tire I've ever driven on. You won't be disappointed, unless you plan on them lasting over 15-20K...but for the grip, is totally worth it. Due to cost I won't be able to get them again anytime soon...but I'm really dreading changing these tires.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I drove the car to the Carlisle GS reunion in 96 and it hasn't left the driveway since even though insured Registration ran out and I never took it to get inspected. Now I need to trailer it to get it inspected BEFORE they will register it. Tires on it may be legal for ten more revolutions or so. So I unburied it today and found

Cat, rat, or raccoon chewed the hell out of a 1/4" AC line right through it at the fitting scratch the nose, and ate part of the fender.

Probably 3-4 grand in Grand Sport damage.

I see they are pricey @ 342 & 492 on one web site tire rack does not have them in 315

Since I have driven it 30K in 14 years and zero in 4 they should be lasting me a while.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-21-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:21 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

John I have run both PS-2s and NT-05s on the street and I think (to answer your question):
1) The PS-2s (UTOG 220) are expensive....but! they are better in the rain, they are 10/32 new. Negative is they are expensive....and cord easily on the inside. I got 17,000 street miles and 8 track laps.

2) NT-05 (UTOG 200) are cheap, but only 7/32 new. I think they stick VERY well.......better than the PS-2. So far I have gotten about 5600 street miles and 90 minutes of track time, and they have worn VERY well and still are not near the wear bars.

However, depending on how many street miles you drive per year, I think there may be a better alternative. I think the NT-01 may be a better choice as you go to more track usage and less street usage.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
John I have run both PS-2s and NT-05s on the street and I think (to answer your question):
1) The PS-2s (UTOG 220) are expensive....but! they are better in the rain, they are 10/32 new. Negative is they are expensive....and cord easily on the inside. I got 17,000 street miles and 8 track laps.

2) NT-05 (UTOG 200) are cheap, but only 7/32 new. I think they stick VERY well.......better than the PS-2. So far I have gotten about 5600 street miles and 90 minutes of track time, and they have worn VERY well and still are not near the wear bars.

However, depending on how many street miles you drive per year, I think there may be a better alternative. I think the NT-01 may be a better choice as you go to more track usage and less street usage.

Thanks it will be street only with a few clover leafs. I did 5 laps in the GS at the track and stopped before I piled it up due to lack of brakes and brains and my competitive nature Was going decnt and pased 8-9 cars easy with slicks just would not stop, I don't want to chip it up either. I used it once when my C5 blew apart and 5 laps was enough.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

The PS2's seem to be pretty much be the standard bearer of tires on high performance cars from around the world, and with tuners, for a reason. I just put a set on a C6 Z51, and they are definitely more responsive and supple than the run flat F1's. Haven't tracked them yet, but soon.

I can't imagine they (PS2's) would be the wrong decision, regardless of the price.

Kevin
Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

I've had the PS2 runflats on my C6 Z06 for about 6 months as a daily driver (no track time) and C6 z51 (with track time, not runflat) (now sold).
The non-runflats are better than the runflats in grip.
as for the runflats:
They do grip well in corners. My g-meter hit 1.02 yesterday, there was no squealing from the tires and I could have been going a couple MPH more through the corner and kept traction. Not sure what the deal is with squealing, I guess some surfaces prohibit squealing?

The turn in is not as "crisp" as the Good Year Supercars or in other words I feel a little roll, but its not much.

Straight line traction is great as well. When its warm out and the tires have some heat in them, I can get more power down than the Supercars.

One drawback is the rears do not look nearly as "fat" as the GY Supercars. Not sure whats up as they are the same size.

I would buy again.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:15 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
So I unburied it today and found

Cat, rat, or raccoon chewed the hell out of a 1/4" AC line right through it at the fitting scratch the nose, and ate part of the fender.

Probably 3-4 grand in Grand Sport damage.

Ouch! You would think the critters would show proper respect for a GS.

Get notified of new replies

To Pilot® Sport PS2™ opinon for a street tire on my Grand Sport?

Quick Reply: Pilot® Sport PS2™ opinon for a street tire on my Grand Sport?