Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring Corvette Pit Stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:16 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Default Sebring Corvette Pit Stop

I haven't watch the entire race, so please don't spoil it for me (what else can go wrong right?), but that pit stop made me laugh my *** off! I didn't think it could get much better than the Mid Ohio pit stop when they crashed each other all the way back onto track, but to do something this stupid under heavy competition amazes me!

After being a fan forever, then being threatened personally by them, I can't help but cheer for their victories AND their failures, and this was a grand example.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:18 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is the video, sometimes they win, sometimes they crash. At the end of the day it's just racing.

Randy
Old 03-22-2010, 01:29 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

at least they beat the Ford GT.........which I passed in a stock Z06 at Rd Atlanta during a NASA event in December.......

That CAMERA MAN got lucky!

Randy, thanks for another good laugh......bwahhahahahahahah

Last edited by davidfarmer; 03-22-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I was soo disappointed when I saw that. Not a good start to the season.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:11 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing for sure, the got some REAL competition this year and we can only wait to see what happens. Those BMW's are very fast.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:18 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Personally I'd that see them race against real competition and struggle than dominate no one! Should help know some of the cockiness out of them too!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
After being a fan forever, then being threatened personally by them,
Catch me up please
Old 03-22-2010, 03:35 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fehan said that their radio comms interferred with each other. At 1:41 of the video you can see a crew member (Binks?) cleaning out the RF air duct of the #3 and wave him out of the pit stall.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:29 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

After their first pit stop, the Speed TV crew was talking about how the Corvette team did the best pit stops in the series. Two hours later they took each other out on pit road.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:44 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

all ears about the personal threats?
Old 03-22-2010, 05:06 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

old news......... when GM Racing built the Cadillacs for World Challenge, Dave Spitzer personally called all of the long-time Corvette racers (myself, LG, etc) and told us to stay out of their way or their would be retribution. They never did anything to help in the first place, but they found it necessary to threaten nonetheless. After racing against factory Audi (awesome sportsmanship) and even BMW (jerks, but they never threatened competitors) teams, GM Racing lost every ounce of respect that I once had for them.

I still love watching Corvettes race, but like I said, I enjoy both their triumphs and their comedic failures.

I was just thinking.....maybe they did it on purpose. They couldn't stand to be beaten on track, so they decided to crash in the pits.... just a thought....
Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
old news......... when GM Racing built the Cadillacs for World Challenge, Dave Spitzer personally called all of the long-time Corvette racers (myself, LG, etc) and told us to stay out of their way or their would be retribution. They never did anything to help in the first place, but they found it necessary to threaten nonetheless. After racing against factory Audi (awesome sportsmanship) and even BMW (jerks, but they never threatened competitors) teams, GM Racing lost every ounce of respect that I once had for them.

I still love watching Corvettes race, but like I said, I enjoy both their triumphs and their comedic failures.

I was just thinking.....maybe they did it on purpose. They couldn't stand to be beaten on track, so they decided to crash in the pits.... just a thought....
sad to hear but not surprise! They've might have won many many races, but the race team have not endeared themselves & has developed a not so nice reputation in the paddock (aside from the drivers who are really down to earth & nice guys). A la Porsche & Ferrari, you would think chevy would support other teams that race their cars so that they have more cars to learn from etc., instead they do what was mentioned above. I don't understand that at all. It's not like they don't need help. Let's face it, Chevy just took obama's $. It seems to me, they could use additional help to ease the cost.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After watching what GM has done to people running their product and at times pulling their foot off the pedal to help GM win I hope they get their clocks cleaned all year long . They have a short memory and what goes around comes around I can only hope, May be I'll take my C5/6R diecast collection out to the job and run it over with the 30,000 pound tele-handler and pick up ten more with the forks for forty thousand pounds and U-tube it.

Easy to win with no competition and with BMW out of F-1 they have one focus.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-22-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:54 PM
bearnest
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping to here a comment out of Lou about the pit stop.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:08 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you I was laughing my azz off when I saw them crash on pit road.

Blame it on the radio, but what was the driver thinking (looking at) out the windscreen, as he drove into his team mate?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:15 PM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joemoia
Fehan said that their radio comms interferred with each other. At 1:41 of the video you can see a crew member (Binks?) cleaning out the RF air duct of the #3 and wave him out of the pit stall.
No way the cars are on the same channel. The channel split has to be wide enough to avoid cross-talk or they would have noticed and fixed the problem by now (their pit boxes are always adjacent). This is a straight up lie if the comment was interpreted correctly.

I agree that the RF tire guy waving the car out without looking up and checking for a clear exit is a key cause to the problem. Reminds me of Scuderia Ferrari in 2008 (?) when they released one of the cars into another along the pit lane. It is the front crew member / lollipop's job to verify a clear lane and to send the car.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 PM
RIRaven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things I noticed from the video:
1. No one is looking down pit lane to release the car. Is this supervised by someone on the other side of the wall over the radio?
2. Camera crew is killing visibility.

Sorry for any perception of armchair quarterbacking!

Get notified of new replies

To Sebring Corvette Pit Stop

Old 03-22-2010, 07:56 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by RIRaven
Two things I noticed from the video:
1. No one is looking down pit lane to release the car. Is this supervised by someone on the other side of the wall over the radio?
2. Camera crew is killing visibility.

Sorry for any perception of armchair quarterbacking!
Don't apologize! I'm assuming most of us understand that we're playing "monday quarterback" here! We're fans! We're allowed.

I agree with you though as far as who's calling (guys up in the top booth/tower) the shots as to when to send the car out.

1) As far as the driver of the car coming in, he's likely under the direction that the other car will stay put. If I'm not mistaken, the standard op with to 2 car like that (when close to each other) is that the car already in the pits is to stay put cuz they don't wanna risk for the exact scenario to happen.

IMO, it is flat out a miscommunication and/or a bonehead call. Most embarrassing situation like that, you'll never hear the truth as far as who screwed up. They'll always blame equipment failure and save face.

2) Camera Crew killing visibility: Don't think so. I've watch my friends and listen to them talk about camera guys being in the way and they tell me all the time, they're instructed to run those guys over if they're in the way. But as mentioned above, the decision to or not to send the car out is in the booth up high.

bearnest I was hoping to here a comment out of Lou about the pit stop.
I believed he did and took the high road and called it a "that's racing".
Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TLGunman
I can tell you I was laughing my azz off when I saw them crash on pit road.

Blame it on the radio, but what was the driver thinking (looking at) out the windscreen, as he drove into his team mate?
like the road you are responsible for the front of your car especially when the other one is PARKED!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:43 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It didn't look to me like there was a lolipop man in the Corvette pit.

Quick Reply: Sebring Corvette Pit Stop