Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a sporty commuter car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need a sporty commuter car

I know this appears to be a general Corvette question and not a autoX/road racing question, but I don't want opinions from the general Corvette crowd. I'm looking for suggestions from go fast people.

I need a good gas mileage commuter car, but it has to be fun. Performance, price, and economy are my priorities, in that order. I'm looking for something slightly used, probably '07 or newer. I've read a few comparisons and basically I've ended up with the conclusion that an '08-'10(turbo) Cobalt SS is what I need.

Anyone have ideas about cars I might not have considered?

A couple things to keep in mind while offering suggestions.

Price needs to be below $20,000. Closer to $10,000 would be way better.

I will not consider a VW under any circumstances. After previously owning both a Rabbit and a Jetta(logging approx 200,000+ miles on the two cars) I will never give VW another penny of my money no matter what. I don't care if they have the best rated car in the world for half of what other companies are charging.

So with those things in mind, offer up your suggestions and reasoning too please.

Thanks

Dog
Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meldog21
I know this appears to be a general Corvette question and not a autoX/road racing question, but I don't want opinions from the general Corvette crowd. I'm looking for suggestions from go fast people.

I need a good gas mileage commuter car, but it has to be fun. Performance, price, and economy are my priorities, in that order. I'm looking for something slightly used, probably '07 or newer. I've read a few comparisons and basically I've ended up with the conclusion that an '08-'10(turbo) Cobalt SS is what I need.

Anyone have ideas about cars I might not have considered?

I will not consider a VW under any circumstances. After previously owning both a Rabbit and a Jetta(logging approx 200,000+ miles on the two cars) I will never give VW another penny of my money no matter what. I don't care if they have the best rated car in the world for half of what other companies are charging.

Thanks

Dog
If it can be a two seater, I'd consider the Chrysler Crossfire (good looks, handling, interior) or Solstice/Sky. A co-worker looking for something sporty ended up with a Mazda 3--I test drove the 5 as a family car and it wasn't bad (over priced though).

You logged 200k on the Jetta alone? Another co-worker has one and he has your same attitude--never again. A/C went up within a year but he had too many miles and they would not warranty it.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my vote Mel towards the higher end of the price range:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...item2eabdbbe4d
Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about reliability but the SRT-4 has good proformance and it's a decent price I think. The Cobalt SS's are cool too. My buddy has a SER Spec V and likes it...it's not super fast but it's peppy. I don't know how much a CTS-V is but I would check those out too...those are probably more than 20K though. My other buddy just got a Honda S2000 for a fun little summer car. He likes it a lot. His daily is a S60R and loves that car too.

Honestly I would look for (in this order based on price for performance):
SRT-4
SER Spec V
S2000
S60R
S70R
CTS-V
Trailblazer SS

Also don't rule out C4's since they are super cheap and decent proformance and with the 6spd get great economy.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Joe_Knesek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-22-2010, 11:42 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

You said performance, price then economy. For $20k, you could possibly find a C5Z with a few miles on it. You may have to look around, but you could find a few around that price. One of the best performance per dollar cars that are out there right now.

Even the LS1 Camaro's are decent performance cars and I'm sure fun to drive. This is a chevrolet forum afterall you know... can't help to be a little biased.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:16 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Seating? All Weather?

You didn't mention seating or luggage capacity. Or all weather capability.
My 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 fits those bills plus the performance and price. It's my full time winter driver.

Turbo w/ 275 HP and torque that kicks in at a low rpm. Top speed is 155mph.
All Wheel Drive.
4Dr, fits four adults, good size trunk.
Much nicer interior than a Cobalt too.

To make it a very nice handling car the only real mod needed are SPC adjustable ball joints on the front (the Speed6 is camber challenged).

You can pick them up for $14K to $18K.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:33 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
You said performance, price then economy. For $20k, you could possibly find a C5Z with a few miles on it. You may have to look around, but you could find a few around that price. One of the best performance per dollar cars that are out there right now.

Even the LS1 Camaro's are decent performance cars and I'm sure fun to drive. This is a chevrolet forum afterall you know... can't help to be a little biased.
LS1 camaros can be found for under $10k. I ahve a 98 6-speed that I daily drive in the summer and get between 24-26 mpg out if it.I bought it 4 years ago with 42,300 miles and I am now over 101k. I love it.

When I first read the OP wanted something sporty and economical, my first thougth was the solstice/sky.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:50 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you want a HOOT for the money? Remember the first time you couldn't catch that Miata on a short course? Well I remembered that when time came to buy wifey something sporty, got a 07 with paddle shift (to make sure she liked it) I LOVED IT! What a hoot!! The newer ones have 2 liter to keep performance up as it gained a few Lbs. along the way. It comes in soft and also an automatic retractable hard top. Fast, cute, little, quiet. I can't say enough about it.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:10 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Gas mileage be damned., Get your self a truck for safety and hauling stuff
Old 03-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

20K will get you an '04-'06 CTS-V. 400HP and luxury. They get around 25 MPG on the highway. Right after I bought my 330Ci BMW for 18K 2 years ago, the price plummeted on the CTS-Vs. I should have waited and got one of those.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Gas mileage be damned., Get your self a truck for safety and hauling stuff
I miss a truck/SUV

Have you looked at the Cobalt SS? I'm currently in a Cavalier great mileage for the way I drive it 31mpg overall.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:14 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those are some great ideas. I'll start checking some I haven't looked at as closely. Here's the thing I didn't mention. My idea of good gas mileage is something better than I get right now. In my C5 Z06 I average about 15-16 since I have my foot in it all the time. My wife's '02 TL-s averages about 17 with her driving.

Let me see if I can explain this better. I already have a performance car with good gas mileage(actually two since the TL is a pretty sporty family car). So now what I need is a good gas mileage car with the best performance. Something that I can average 20 or more mpg.

I'll add the very limited experience(applicable car testing exp) I have so far.
I have driven a mini cooper non S model - I didn't like it at all.
I have driven an Sti, but not a regular Wrx - I liked the Sti so I should check out this version.
I have driven a Prius and did not like it at all, however a guy I know has one that he put better shocks and wheels on and he loves it. My guess is that it's still pretty slow.

From the suggestions so far I think my list for comparison to the Cobalt SS is:

Wrx, Mazda 3, Mazda Miata, SRT-4, S2000, SER spec V.

Any others that haven't been mentioned?

Dog
Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Did not see the Honda Civic Si mentioned. Might be worth a look.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

You could look at an HHR SS as well, similar to the Cobalt but a little more usable space in the rear.

I own a Trailblazer SS and it is a great vehicle but the milage is terrible. 18 hwy. I don't really care since I live about 1 mile from work and a tank lasts me a week. But if you had to commute you would probably get sick of the $60 fill ups.

A CTS-V is not a bad idea, great car and it makes the other cars on your list look disposeable.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:24 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

I'd check out the Miatas. What you say you want is performance, price, and economy, but after your second post I think it's really:

1. fun
2. economy
3. price

Notice I changed "performance" to "fun". If by "performance" you mean straight line acceleration ("In my C5 Z06 I average about 15-16 since I have my foot in it all the time") you're not going to find something that's going to give you the same kind of acceleration at 30 mpg.

So, I changed it to "fun". And a Miata is just plain fun. Not the best acceleration in the world, but not as bad as you might think. I took the soft top out of mine and put on a hard top. More headroom, much quieter, and I can still take it off at home if I want a topless drive.

BTW, I'm getting started on putting an LS1/T56 in my Miata, then she'll have the engine she should have always had.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-23-2010, 10:52 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Seems like the STI would fit the bill. Plus it would make a good back up track car if you needed one. Also, the 350Zs are significantly less than $20k.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a sporty commuter car

Old 03-23-2010, 11:57 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Infiniti G35S or G37S depending on yur budget! 330hp and 14" brakes with LSD and either 6spd manual or 7 spd auto on rock solid suspension
Old 03-23-2010, 01:34 PM
waktasz
Pro

I like my 03 Mini, although for $20k I would look for a newer turbo model. It is plenty comfortable for two adults, and with the seats folded down it will hold a ton of stuff. Useless back seat though.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:11 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

The Mazda 3 with the 2.3 motor and stick is a pretty good little ride that gets over 30 on
the road. They started making them in 2004 and are pretty cheap now.

Bought one for my youngest daughter a couple years ago and drove it up to Nashville to
her. Got over 35 mpg on the road, handles and rides well and is pretty damn peppy.

Too bad she was home last may when big storm blew through the Daytona area and big oak tree
landed on it.

Quick Reply: Need a sporty commuter car