Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:26 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Watkins Glen

I going to Watkins Glen for a HPDE and would like your recommendations being that it's my first time at this track and it's my first time running on Hoosier R6's. I've spent 2 seasons on street tires. I've purchased a good set of scrubs for my C6Z06 and also have new Hoosier R6's. Does it make a difference on this track whether I use the scrubs or new tires?
I'm also taking my street tires in case it rains.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:18 AM
NewC6Toy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watkins Glen can be pretty cold in the mornings and I have had some days where it has taken 3 or 4 laps before my R6s felt like they were up to temperature. Watkins Glen also tends to be tough on brakes, bring spares and good brake fluid.
As far scrubs vs. new R6s, I find R6s to be consistent over their life so you should be fine on scrubs. Although, not being a professional racer I couldn't tell you about the fraction of second kind of performance of the tire.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:27 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Scrubs or new should not make a lot of difference unless the scrubs are very old tires - 3-4 years or so. They get hard and slippery. I agree with the second post, you have to get some heat in the tires before pushing really hard, especially on a cold morning run group at the Glen
Old 03-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

When are you going?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:28 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you go with scrubs they will possibly cord faster then you will not be able to run on them for the two days. Since nothing is mounted yet and you have two sets of rims mount the new tires. You better get the alignment done also.

For all those whinning & about the body cast picture Steve and I talk nearly everyday and bust each others chops. Steve goes to autopsies fairly frequently so he was very, very amused when I PM'ed the picture as it was deleted before he saw it. Some here worry to much. What happens happens that is life and we need to have a laugh. If Steve posted pictures I can only imagine what he would put up on me. Plus he is a fire arms expert so I doubt he feels threatened.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:29 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
When are you going?
He's going with PDA in beginning of May 5th + - bring bread crumbs and throw them out the window for him so he knows where he is going.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-28-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:16 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a huge group of us Canadians showing up for the same PDA event at the Glen (May 3-4). I think its going to be VERY well represented by vettes.

The last time I ran R6's at the Glen, they were what I would have considered scrubs and they ran fine for the 2 days, however, it was also early in the season and the tires took longer to get up to temps as mentioned.

I'm not sure if you will be in HPDE1, since this is your first time at the track, but I'm sure you wont be pushing that hard day 1 anyway. But also as mentioned, bring back up pads.

<<--- Look for the Flag and drop by and say Hi,

Steve

Last edited by GettReal; 03-28-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:51 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

I run in HPDE 3 but for the first session or 2 I'll be in HPDE 2 I measured the scrubs and got a read of 3/32. I hear that Watkins Glen has some rough areas on the track, meaning for tire wear.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:53 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by john shiels
if you go with scrubs they will possibly cord faster then you will not be able to run on them for the two days. Since nothing is mounted yet and you have two sets of rims mount the new tires. You better get the alignment done also.

For all those whinning & about the body cast picture steve and i talk nearly everyday and bust each others chops. Steve goes to autopsies fairly frequently so he was very, very amused when i pm'ed the picture as it was deleted before he saw it. Some here worry to much. What happens happens that is life and we need to have a laugh. If steve posted pictures i can only imagine what he would put up on me. Plus he is a fire arms expert so i doubt he feels threatened.
meow meow

Last edited by CodeBlack; 03-28-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:37 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels

For all those whinning & about the body cast picture Steve and I talk nearly everyday and bust each others chops. Steve goes to autopsies fairly frequently so he was very, very amused when I PM'ed the picture as it was deleted before he saw it. Some here worry to much. What happens happens that is life and we need to have a laugh. If Steve posted pictures I can only imagine what he would put up on me. Plus he is a fire arms expert so I doubt he feels threatened.
Let me set the record straight! I have to admit, at first when John would break my ***** about going off track, it spooked me but now I laugh since I've been behind the wheel for a few seasons. I've known John for a long time and he has done nothing but help me both on and off the track. You couldn't find a better person. Get back on the track John
Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
I run in HPDE 3 but for the first session or 2 I'll be in HPDE 2 I measured the scrubs and got a read of 3/32. I hear that Watkins Glen has some rough areas on the track, meaning for tire wear.
I usually get good tire wear at the Glen. This will be my 18th year running there. It will probably be cold in the morning and it will take several laps to get your tires up to a high enough temp so they will stick. Be sure to bring warm enough clothing. The best thing to do is to have a couple of layers of sweatshirts with a jacket over them. Then as the weather warms up you can pull some stuff off to keep from getting too warm.

Bill
Old 03-29-2010, 06:05 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by John Shiels
He's going with PDA in beginning of May 5th + - bring bread crumbs and throw them out the window for him so he knows where he is going.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I usually get good tire wear at the Glen. This will be my 18th year running there. It will probably be cold in the morning and it will take several laps to get your tires up to a high enough temp so they will stick. Be sure to bring warm enough clothing. The best thing to do is to have a couple of layers of sweatshirts with a jacket over them. Then as the weather warms up you can pull some stuff off to keep from getting too warm.

Bill

It gets cold a WGI in the morning but usually a few hours of sun and the track warms up nicely. No reason for anyone to push the car the first session although someone will

Regarding tire wear - I have been to WGI for the last 6 years around 6 days per year. I never notice more tire wear at WGI versus any other track.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

To avoid cold and rainy days, I recommend going in the summer. Since this is your first time, go with the lower cost itres you have.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always seems that somebody has to be a hero in the first session at WG. It's almost a guarantee.

I personally only go to the Glen during the summer. Been burnt too many times going in the spring and fall (snow, cold, rain). I went in early Oct "once" and it never got above 33the entire day (sucked).
Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
Let me set the record straight! I have to admit, at first when John would break my ***** about going off track, it spooked me but now I laugh since I've been behind the wheel for a few seasons. I've known John for a long time and he has done nothing but help me both on and off the track. You couldn't find a better person. Get back on the track John
Are you sure?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Always seems that somebody has to be a hero in the first session at WG. It's almost a guarantee.

I personally only go to the Glen during the summer. Been burnt too many times going in the spring and fall (snow, cold, rain). I went in early Oct "once" and it never got above 33the entire day (sucked).
I always think of the story of the Porsche guy who hired a professional instructor and didn't wait 5 mins while the instructor was in the bathroom and a BMW guy that thought he was a great rain driver.

It was raining and the track was cold. There were streams running across the track. I was out with 2 guys going slow to show the rain line. People passed us but honestly it was difficult to see so point bys were few and far between. As we came out of turn 5 I saw all the lights flashing on the track and the fire truck lights turned on. I looked back saw I had room and began to slowed down coming up the hill and saw the red flags waiving. I looked back again, had room to slow down and moved over to the flag station. My final look back I saw a BMW sliding pass us. He was so concentrated at wanting to pass us that he missed the track lights, the fire truck lights and the red flag.

Up ahead you can guess was a GT3 in pieces. My assumption was he turned in too early on turn 6 hit the river of water and slide into the guard rail on the right. The car was damaged beyond repair.

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 03-29-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Watkins Glen

Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always think of the story of the Porsche guy who hired a professional instructor and didn't wait 5 mins while the instructor was in the bathroom and a BMW guy that thought he was a great rain driver.

It was raining and the track was cold. There were streams running across the track. I was out with 2 guys going slow to show the rain line. People passed us but honestly it was difficult to see so point bys were few and far between. As we came out of turn 5 I saw all the lights flashing on the track and the fire truck lights turned on. I looked back saw I had room and began to slowed down coming up the hill and saw the red flags waiving. I looked back again, had room to slow down and moved over to the flag station. My final look back I saw a BMW sliding pass us. He was so concentrated at wanting to pass us that he missed the track lights, the fire truck lights and the red flag.

Up ahead you can guess was a GT3 in pieces. My assumption was he turned in too early on turn 6 hit the river of water and slide into the guard rail on the right. The car was damaged beyond repair.
Something like this happened to me at Pocono a few years ago. Some douch with little to no experience bought a purpose built Viper Challenge car. This thing was OVER the top. He was running in the advanced group, but was CLEARLY a novice. He must have gone off the track 4-5 times in just one session. We all went in and complained about how dangerous his driving was. They had a talk with him.

Next session, there was a red flag at the chicane (running SCCA course). A bunch of cars along with myself, came to a stop due to a small accident (somebody hit a guardrail). I look in my rear view miror and this ahole viper guy is barreling down the back strait at 150mph, sees the red flag, slams on his breaks, looses control of his car, starts spinning and literally slides right in between all of the parked cars waiting for the red flag. He literally came within a car length or two of taking out all of the parked cars.

Now if you know Pocono, one thing you got on that track is PERFECT line of sight down any part of the course (nothing is really blind). We were all parked there for at least a minute and this guy sees us and continues to barrel down the strait without any control.

All of the drivers in those parked cars, including me, came in FURIOUS and demanded that he be pulled. So, sorry to get off topic Codeblack, but I felt after hearing Weasil's story, I had to share a similar experience.

Bottom line, WG in particular, is a very fast professional type road course that can be very unforgiving (little run off everywhere). My intent is not to make you nervous, but please go with the intention of having fun and running well below your personal threshold for the first time. It really took me a few visits to build confidence to carry a lot of speed. I have been going there now for 8-10 years and instead of being faster than I was 5 years ago, the more I learn about that course (and the older I get) the more caution and respect I have and just take it easy and go to have fun anymore. There are just too many walls to close for me to feel comfortable pushing the car.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I got it all on video since I was directly behind you. After I pulled over and came to a complete stop, the guy in the bmw missed my drivers side door by 8inches or so. But I think the real excitement happened afterward in the garages.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
I got it all on video since I was directly behind you. After I pulled over and came to a complete stop, the guy in the bmw missed my drivers side door by 8inches or so. But I think the real excitement happened afterward in the garages.
When he approached us to say we were in the wrong I am sure he wasn't ready to go to the video evidence. Funny he became very nice after he realized he missed all the warnings.

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen