Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first track day questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Jebus
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My first track day questions...

Hey guys,

I have a bone stock 09 Z51, no mods other than mild2wild. The car also serves duty as a daily driver.

I am new to the Corvette community and would like to ask for some advice from all the experts out there.

I have some good autocross experience (6 years+, but 5 of which were in an Acura RSX-S and only 1 full year under my belt in the Vette).

I have decided that I would like to start moving to doing more proper track days with the corvette and am going to be attending my first down in Sebring on April 15. This being my first event ever on a full road course, I will not be driving at the full 10/10's (not even close).

I would like to get some advice on what needs to be done to prep the car for this event. I do not plan on doing more than 2-3 road course events/year. Things I can think of on my own are...

1) Good set of tires - I picked up a set of stock 07 wheels and plan to mount Pzero corsa systems on them that will serve me at autocross' and track days only.

2) Change the brake fluid - Got ATE super blue ready to go in the car, the car is a year old and due for a change anyway down here in humid florida. Do I need to flush/replace the fluid again after a track day?

3) Fresh oil - current oil in the car (mobil 1 5W-30) still has 80%+ life (according to the oil life monitor) - should I change oil before the event, after the event, or am I being over-cautious?

4) Brakes - currently have bone stock Z51 rotors/pads at all four corners with 17k miles on them, will be doing a life assessment as I change the brake fluid. Will these be ok for my first ever road course or should I plan on upgrading to a better pad/rotor combo? I have been doing some searching here on the forums and there seems to be some disagreement on whether the stock Z51 rotors are up to the task. But what about pads? Considering this is my first road course I'm not sure a pad replacement would necessary for this event, is my thinking correct? I am also considering running the current stock set-up at the event and replacing them afterwords with either another stock set-up or different, still need to research and get advice on this front.

5) Other - I have been searching the forums for the past few days and have read a lot of advice from a lot of people and all of it is invaluable. Everything for installing dry sump systems, extra cooling ducts, Z06 oil coolers and more, but it all seems to be geared for the more aggressive road racer than I plan on being. I would love to get some advice for the causal first or second timer on what a Z51 needs to be safe/competent at road course.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 03-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

makes sure everything in good working order and maintenance has been preformed. flush the brake fluid get a good helmet and seat time.. seat time..seat time..

Old 03-28-2010, 03:05 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

1) Good set of tires - I picked up a set of stock 07 wheels and plan to mount Pzero corsa systems on them that will serve me at autocross' and track days only.
You can just run with your street tires for the first event - bump the pressures a couple of PSI and have at it. Probably more than adequate for first event.
2) Change the brake fluid - Got ATE super blue ready to go in the car, the car is a year old and due for a change anyway down here in humid florida. Do I need to flush/replace the fluid again after a track day?
Definitely change to a high temp fluid like ATE or Motul. You will cook the stock year old fluid quickly. Just bleed after each event and you will be fine.
3) Fresh oil - current oil in the car (mobil 1 5W-30) still has 80%+ life (according to the oil life monitor) - should I change oil before the event, after the event, or am I being over-cautious?
Save your $ - plenty of life left in the oil. I usually change every three events or when it gets below 50%
4) Brakes - currently have bone stock Z51 rotors/pads at all four corners with 17k miles on them, will be doing a life assessment as I change the brake fluid. Will these be ok for my first ever road course or should I plan on upgrading to a better pad/rotor combo?
They will be fine for your first event. If the addiction takes hold, and you run more frequently / faster, you will definitely want to upgrade to solid rotors and a more race oriented pad set.
5) Other - I have been searching the forums for the past few days and have read a lot of advice from a lot of people and all of it is invaluable. Everything for installing dry sump systems, extra cooling ducts, Z06 oil coolers and more, but it all seems to be geared for the more aggressive road racer than I plan on being. I would love to get some advice for the causal first or second timer on what a Z51 needs to be safe/competent at road course.
Leave the car stock for now and concentrate on the driver. The car is more than capable of delivering breathtaking speed and cornering as it comes from the factory. SEAT TIME _ SEAT TIME _ SEAT TIME

Last edited by CHJ In Virginia; 03-28-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I would suggest a decent alignment not a killer -2 degrees up front, but maybe -1.2 to -1.5 degrees up front and about -1 in the back. The reason for that is that you will grind the edges off of any stock tire in a couple of weekends if you don't.

For the cost of the alignment, you'll save twice that much in tire wear, and the car will handle better on the street and be a lot more fun in daily driving...

Also when you are doing the brakes, get a turkey baster and change the fluid in the clutch reservior too. Just good maintenance practice.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All advice here is spot on.
If you've already bought those P-Zeros, take your stock tires to the track and save those new ones for the street. Sebring is a rough track and even at the novice level will put some wear on your tires.

Other than that, put on your listening cap (for your instructor), prepare for face cramps from the perma-smile you'll have, and DRINK LOTS OF WATER while you're there.

You will love it and you have a superb machine in which to do so. Enjoy!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldn't use the ATE Blue. Not that is isn't up to the task, but it stains everything. The clear tubing that you'll use on the bleed bottle with become so stained, it's difficult to see anything through it. Get the ATE gold and you get the benefit of ATE without the staining.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:09 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Much great advice above.

I would add this in addition to mechanical stuff

1. Go to the track prepared mentally. Sounds silly but you do have to be on your game and concentration must be 100%. This is serious stuff, but very very fun

2. Just take it easy, easy the first sessions. Feel out the car and yourself and find your comfort level. Did I say take it easy.

3. Pay attention in the classroom. Really learning the sport and Understanding what the turn in, apex, track out issues are all about and how adjusting them can make a huge difference. When you make a change in your turn in point etc, make a mental note to self about what affect that had on the car and the handling.

4. Brake straight, brake early and slowly work up on later braking. I tell all our 10/10ths drivers "you can eat an entire cow, just not at one sitting, you can become a very good performance driver, but not at one track event, or even several"

5. DO NOT take the corner workers and flags for granted. You NEED to know exactly what the flags mean and how to properly react.

6. Set some specific goals for yourself. Something that is measurable and that is at a beginner level.
Such as
  • consistent laps
  • consistent turn in, apex and track out
  • Smooth throttle and brake application (this does not mean lollygagging with the pedals but it does mean Quick and Smooth)

7. Take notes about what you learned and keep a journal of all your events.

8. Listen to your instructor ! He/she may tell you something a bit different than your last instructor but guess what, Your last instructor is not in the car with you. Point is, all instructors have different experiences and methods. They all should have some valuable information for you. If there are things you are not comfortable with, just tell them and I know they will understand and back it down a notch. If you don't fully understand what they tell you, ask them to explain.

9. If you have a classroom session about a certain topic, ask your instructor to show you on track what that is about and how to do it. To many times, I have seen a disconnect between what is taught in the classroom and then what your instructor tells you on track. I believe in teaching students in the classroom and then immediately showing them on track what we discussed. I think it helps with the learning process.

10 Take time to meet the other drivers at the event. You will quickly find this sport brings out the best of folks and you WILL make some very good new friends.

11. Have fun and go home safe

Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
RIRaven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club - I did my first event last year - it is highly addictive!
You are getting solid advice above. From my vast experience of 4 times to the track, I would add:
1. I add an extra quart of oil at the track.
2. Do a good break in procedure on the pads before you go to the track. There is a good link somewhere around here. Something like 10 or so consecutive 90% stops.

I also came into my Corvette by way of an RSX-S. I wanted to get back to rear wheel drive. The only thing I miss about the Acura is the build quality.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:30 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Good advice in the above. Sebring is a wide open track in spots and it feels as though you are crossing a parking lot in some areas so pay attention to your line!

The vehicle you have is a very good vehicle as is. It should serve you well for 2 or 3 years before you may want some serious upgrades. However, a 20 to 30 minute session on the roadcourse is much different from a one lap (or two) high speed autocross. You will probably find yourself all over your seat and fighting to hold on before too long. Start looking at others' seats at the track and keep in mind that you will be looking for one soon.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Jebus
8th Gear

Thanks for all the advice guys.

It's good to hear that (and I figured) that a stock Z51 would be up to the task of a causal track day. I'm really looking forward to getting out on a real road course and wanted to make sure the car is well prepared.

I'll try to get that alignment done, but here in Orlando all the alignment shops have this systematic hatred of anybody who wants to specify and alignment outside of factory specs.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
You can just run with your street tires for the first event - bump the pressures a couple of PSI and have at it. Probably more than adequate for first event.
C6 Z51 comes with F1 Supercar run-flats. I wouldn't bump the pressures. IIRC when I first got my '06 and took it out with the run-flats I was running 28psi/26psi cold. If the pressures get up over 40psi (hot) they get pretty greasy...

I'm not familiar with the PZero Corsa System tires, but these days on stock 18x8.5+19x10 I think you can get yourself some Toyo R888s for a lot less money and have "streetable" DOT-R tires.

Try to find a race shop that'll do you alignment rather than an alignment shop that'll do one to your specs...
Old 03-29-2010, 12:33 PM
RIRaven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That reminds me - as far as the seats - it helped me to pull the seat belt all the way out and let it ratchet back real tight.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,751 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by cgh1
DRINK LOTS OF WATER while you're there.
I couldnt agree more. Lots of people have said good things about the car but it is just as important that the driver is up to par for the day as well. A track day will wear you out more than an autocross.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:46 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On the seats, Corvette seats do pretty much suck for performance driving. They are better in the C6 but not by much. A great,cheap solution for anyone who's not looking to mount harnesses, etc. is to go to your local hardware store or super-duper market (starts with a W...) and get a roll of the shelf/drawer liner that looks like a net that's been rubberized (woven and looks a bit bubbly) for like $8. Pull out a section big enough to at least cover the seat bottom (and back if you really want to stick in the seat - which will require some method to hold it in place when you're not sitting in the seat) and just lay it on the seat.

This will keep you from sliding around. It will provide NO other safety than giving you less reason to use the steering wheel as a support but it really makes a huge difference as you're not slipping and sliding around.

Hope this helps & HAVE SOME SAFE FUN!!!

Oh, and report back to us about your experience! It's always great to hear about newcomer's experiences, especially those who've been doing other forms of performance driving like Auto-X!!

Last edited by cgh1; 03-29-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 PM
DCW1
Intermediate

Default First Time Track Days

If it's available, go along for a ride with one or more of the instructors.
I drive with HoD (Hooked on Driving) here in Northern California. Their track days include demo rides during the lunch break.

Try to get a ride in a Corvette, and tell the instructor what your experience level is. You'll get a much better sense of the proper driving line and braking points. Plus, it's an incredible eye-opener to see what this car can do in the hands of an experienced driver, even though they'll be taking it relatively easy. I'd also suggest eating after, not before, the runs.

One last thought: As you start to feel more confident, you'll naturally start to pick up the pace. Think about making incremental improvements all the way around the track, rather than taking giant leaps forward. And above all, focus on driving smoothly and hitting the lines. Speed comes as a result of smooth, controlled driving, not vice versa.

Have a great time.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Definitely change to a high temp fluid like ATE or Motul. You will cook the stock year old fluid quickly. Just bleed after each event and you will be fine.
Save your $ - plenty of life left in the oil. I usually change every three events or when it gets below 50%
4) Brakes - currently have bone stock Z51 rotors/pads at all four corners with 17k miles on them, will be doing a life assessment as I change the brake fluid. Will these be ok for my first ever road course or should I plan on upgrading to a better pad/rotor combo?
They will be fine for your first event. If the addiction takes hold, and you run more frequently / faster, you will definitely want to upgrade to solid rotors and a more race oriented pad set.
Leave the car stock for now and concentrate on the driver. The car is more than capable of delivering breathtaking speed and cornering as it comes from the factory. SEAT TIME _ SEAT TIME _ SEAT TIME

Although I would check the brake pads to see how much life they have in them. They will wear down quickly on the track.

Since you autocross the car I assume you know about the Corvette's seat belt cinch feature. Use the cinch feature and the power seat to get your seat belt very tight and it will help hold you in the car. Tell your instructor to cinch his as well.

Forget some of the habits you learned in autocrossing. Road courses require you to be very smooth with your inputs to the car. Don't hammer shifts, gas or brakes.

Bill
Old 03-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebus
Thanks for all the advice guys.

It's good to hear that (and I figured) that a stock Z51 would be up to the task of a causal track day. I'm really looking forward to getting out on a real road course and wanted to make sure the car is well prepared.

I'll try to get that alignment done, but here in Orlando all the alignment shops have this systematic hatred of anybody who wants to specify and alignment outside of factory specs.
You've gotten some great advice. There's merit in going to a more radical alignment but IMO for your first time out (and considering how few events you plan on doing each year) I would say leave the alignment alone. While great for track use a more radical alignment will take its toll on your street tires with daily street driving. If you get into the sport more you'll undoubtedly start modding your car, using track wheels/tires, etc. It's a process. You can decide later if and when you want adjust alignment for track use. WTH...a few more thoughts....

I think its better to start out using your street tires...'run what you brung' for a good while before graduating to more sticky tires. You might want to check requirements for a tech inspection before you get there to make sure you're in compliance. You don't want to be running around right before you're supposed to be on-track trying to fix something. You might want to bring some basic tools with you...bring extra oil, brake fluid, etc. Maybe change your clutch fluid beforehand per the 'Ranger' method. I change motor oil often....I feel the engine runs a bit cooler with clean, fresh motor oil. I don't know if you'll have any extended banked ovals where you're running but I generally run with 1/3 to 1/2 quart extra motor oil (even before I installed an Accusump). It's just my opinion but I've never run with a full quart over the full mark. I'd use Motul 600 brake fluid. If your existing brake pads are OK use them. I would suggest you bring a extra set of brake pads with you just in case. If you get into doing it more often then go to more aggressive pads and lose the cross-drilled rotors.

For the most part, as long as everything is in good working order you should be good to go. Listen to your instructor(s); concentrate on your lines...brake points, etc. (the basics); and remember it takes constant repetition to apply and refine what you learn. Be safe and have a blast!

Last edited by Wayne O; 03-29-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To My first track day questions...

Old 03-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave all the electronic nannies on, they'll save your *** (and your car) if something goes wrong, and if you end up in a skid make sure you react FAST, slow reaction = tire wall, seen it too many times.

Enjoy!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use Motul 600 RBF brake fluid; I boiled Ate at my 1st event w/a C5Z after that first change you are now doing. This has to be a very thorough flush--the best you will ever have to do. I'd suggest getting 3 0.5 L bottles of the Motul at least. The system takes just under 1 L. After you do the flush, drive the car and get into the ABS multiple times. Then, bleed again. This is to get the dot3 out of the ABS module.

I personally would (and did) go to Hawk HP+ front pads for the first time out. I wish I had stuck with them instead of giving the OE C5Z pads a try. Stock pads suck. They can't take the heat. They will cause a long brake pedal which I find annoying and disconcerting.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:38 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jebus
Thanks in advance for any advice
Do your research on the wet-sumped LS3 oiling issues before deciding to go to r-compound tires. Two good threads to read:If you don't need sticky tires for the street for some reason you may have nearly as much fun and more peace of mind with street tires / stock suspension at HPDE's.

Quick Reply: My first track day questions...