Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z Track Prep

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Liquid1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6Z Track Prep

I am an intermediate level driver and want to prep my new-to-me 2008 C6Z for the track. It is currently stock. My plan is to run with the stock tires and brakes and then replace them with something more track appropriate when needed, unless there is a safety issue with that strategy. Here is what I am thinking, but advice and opinions very much welcomed.

Definites

4 Point Harness/Chassis Bar from Pfadt or LG. I do not want a full cage at this point or to cut up the interior too much and this appears to be the best compromise. Any other options I should be evaluating?

Racing Seat - Model TBD

Harness Belts - Leaning towards the 8 point Sparco harness from Finspeed

HANS Sport - Probably will end up with 20 degree but need to confirm, sliding tethers, quick disconnects.

Motul RBF 600 Brake Fluid

SS Braided Brake Lines - From Quantum

Brake Ducting - Quantum

Replace Coolant with Water + Water Wetter

Track Alignment - Need Specs

No Slip Pedals - Southern Car Parts

Magnetic Drain Plugs and HP 300 Filtermag

Fire Extinguisher - TBD

Uncertain

LPE Larger Oil Sump Tank - Probably not mandatory if I am retaining stock tires for now and running mostly clockwise but seems to be fairly inexpensive insurance.

Upgraded Sway Bars - This was a huge upgrade for my NSX but not sure how important it is on the Z.

I use the car mostly for the track but want to keep it street legal and generally as lightly modified as possible. Please let me know what I am missing, if anything, or if I am on the wrong track (no pun intended) with anything. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Liquid1; 04-07-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:06 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid1
I am an intermediate level driver and want to prep my new-to-me 2008 C6Z for the track. It is currently stock. My plan is to run with the stock tires and brakes and then replace them with something more track appropriate when needed, unless there is a safety issue with that strategy. Here is what I am thinking, but advice and opinions very much welcomed.

Definites

4 Point Harness/Chassis Bar from Pfadt or LG. I do not want a full cage at this point or to cut up the interior too much and this appears to be the best compromise. Any other options I should be evaluating?

Racing Seat - Model TBD

6 Point Harness - Model TBD

ATE or Motul Brake Fluid

SS Braided Brake Lines

Replace Coolant with Water + Water Wetter

Uncertain

LPE Larger Oil Sump Tank - Probably not mandatory if I am retaining stock tires for now and running mostly clockwise but seems to be fairly inexpensive insurance.

Upgraded Sway Bars - This was a huge upgrade for my NSX but not sure how important it is on the Z.

Alignment - Seems like more camber would generally be advised?

I use the car mostly for the track but want to keep it street legal and generally as lightly modified as possible. Please let me know what I am missing, if anything, or if I am on the wrong track (no pun intended) with anything. Thanks in advance.

Based on solely what you wrote...outside safety mods, right now your best bang for the buck is a proper allignment, lowering and cornerweight.

Without real track tires, you don't need a BBK, big sways, suspension, or even hardcore race pads.

The car has AMAZING potential stock and I would just prepare it to be safe as possible, and optimize the OEM suspension. This will easily get you through a couple years before you begin to approach the limits.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hans Device & Fire extinquisher
Old 03-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Liquid1
Instructor

Yes, I forgot to put HANS in there which is actually the primary reason behind going the chassis bar and harness route. I'll edit the original post, thanks for the response. Can you elaborate a bit on the recommended fire extinguisher?

95 jersey, that is exactly how I am approaching it and why you don't see anything but safety mods for myself (and the car's mechanicals, if necessary). I am under no illusions about the car's potential versus my driving abilities. Regarding "proper" alignment, is there some specs that you can point me to? I'm assuming by proper you mean track oriented alignment and not confirming the alignment is exactly correct from a stock perspective, right?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:56 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I forgot to put HANS in there which is actually the primary reason behind going the chassis bar and harness route. I'll edit the original post, thanks for the response. Can you elaborate a bit on the recommended fire extinguisher?
you say you will mainly use this car as a track car....in that case I would put a whole fire system in w/ 2-6 heads (the engine, you, gas tank). there are all kinds of good systems out there. If budget or time is an issue, at least get a hand held that is attached in the interior.
Just have something in case the car catches fire. I promise you....a C6 Z06 burns QUICKLY ....I saw one burn at road atlanta.
A couple of links to fire suppression sytems:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/adv...ID=FIRESYSTEMS

http://www.weekend-racer.com/index.p...ex&cPath=12_25

http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing...58&tagarray=40
Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 PM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Get a data logger and Video camera for educational purposes.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Liquid1
Instructor

Thanks Racer38... will do some research on that topic.

Is there an adapter to mount a video camera to either the Pfadt or LG 4 point chassis bar? Seems like that would be the best mounting point if it is acheivable.

Thanks as always for the feedback guys (and girls).
Old 04-01-2010, 09:14 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

95 jersey, that is exactly how I am approaching it and why you don't see anything but safety mods for myself (and the car's mechanicals, if necessary). I am under no illusions about the car's potential versus my driving abilities. Regarding "proper" alignment, is there some specs that you can point me to? I'm assuming by proper you mean track oriented alignment and not confirming the alignment is exactly correct from a stock perspective, right?
Yes, track oriented allignment. Without that you are leaving a lot on the table and are going to have poor tire wear on the track. It's not that the factory allignment is not correct, just that it is meant for the street and to extend tire wear on the street, not for handling extreme corner loads which are only produceable on the track. From the factory the car sits too high, doesn't have enough camber and there is no cornerweighting done to help distibute the cars weight more effeciently.

I'll PM you a guide to assist when I get a moment.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:17 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Yes, track oriented allignment. Without that you are leaving a lot on the table and are going to have poor tire wear on the track. It's not that the factory allignment is not correct, just that it is meant for the street and to extend tire wear on the street, not for handling extreme corner loads which are only produceable on the track. From the factory the car sits too high, doesn't have enough camber and there is no cornerweighting done to help distibute the cars weight more effeciently.

Hey there, if it's not too much trouble, can you please PM me that alignment guide also?

Thanks much,
Phil
Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Liquid1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95jersey

Also, any reason NOT to go with sliding tehters and quick disconnects on the HANS?

One last question... are people running any specific brand of filters (oil/air) for track applications? Any changes to oil weight?

Last edited by Liquid1; 04-07-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Track Prep

Quick Reply: C6Z Track Prep