Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have an Impact SS helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:31 AM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Anybody have an Impact SS helmet?

Just wanted to see if anybody had the Super sport helmet from Impact, and if they liked it or not. I went and tried a few different ones on today, and this one fit my head the best, but I just wanted to see if anybody else had experiance with them.

Also, any recomendations on color? It seems like black would get kindof hot in the summer time, so I was thinking of going with white.

http://www.behrents.com/p/IMP17500409.html
Old 04-02-2010, 01:10 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Google the words "Impact Racing Counterfeit", and see what you come up with.

Here is a little snippet of today's federal court drama:

Bill Simpson's Impact Racing LLC reached an agreement Thursday with an industry-certification group that will allow the company to continue selling race car safety gear made this year and last.

Impact and the SFI Foundation Inc. issued a joint statement after a hearing in federal court. The two sides agreed that no counterfeit SFI conformance labels have been used in 2009 and 2010, and all Impact products made and sold during those years meet SFI specifications.

SFI maintained its decertification of Impact products, excluding helmets, made before 2009.

Based in California, SFI is the not-for-profit organization that sets minimum performance standards for motorsports equipment. It filed a lawsuit on March 26 in U.S. District Court of southern Indiana claiming that, between November 2005 and August 2008, Impact hired an Asian manufacturer to produce look-alike SFI labels. The lawsuit, based on an affidavit from former Impact employee Darren Swisher, says the counterfeit labels were put on seatbelts, arm restraints, fire suits, head socks, gloves and boots.
They were also caught counterfeiting HANS post anchors.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:41 AM
bearnest
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what does this mean, that they did it before 09 and 10 and just did not get caught.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by bearnest
So what does this mean, that they did it before 09 and 10 and just did not get caught.
It means they didn't buy the labels they used from SFI. Thus the labels were counterfeit. It doesn't mean the equipment isn't any good. Bill Simpson and SFI need to do more for purchasers of those products to say whether or not the equipment met specifications or not.

Bill
Old 04-02-2010, 02:24 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It means they didn't buy the labels they used from SFI. Thus the labels were counterfeit. It doesn't mean the equipment isn't any good. Bill Simpson and SFI need to do more for purchasers of those products to say whether or not the equipment met specifications or not.

Bill
There are a lot of people hanging right now.
I know when they were making the counterfeit HANS anchors, they didn't just make the anchor, they actually had the HANS logo lasered on to the anchor. They look just like the HANS but do not have the TM symbol on them. It takes some ***** to do something like that.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
Just wanted to see if anybody had the Super sport helmet from Impact, and if they liked it or not. I went and tried a few different ones on today, and this one fit my head the best, but I just wanted to see if anybody else had experiance with them.

Also, any recomendations on color? It seems like black would get kindof hot in the summer time, so I was thinking of going with white.

http://www.behrents.com/p/IMP17500409.html
Not all helmets fit exactly alike. Some helmet manufacturers use hat sizes, some use S,M, or L for sizing. As long as it fits your head comfortably and is snug, you should be OK. Make sure the chin strap is easy to use especially if you wear driving gloves.

For color, white is probably a good choice especially if you are in the hot sun or in an open car. I've only used white helmets.

FWIW, The Impact Racing helmets were not affected by the intitial SFI decertification or yesterday's repeal notice. Helmets are certified by the Snell Foundation, a different organization.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:03 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^But they are advertising this helmet as a SNELL 2005 & SFI/FIA approved helmet.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody have an Impact SS helmet?

Quick Reply: Anybody have an Impact SS helmet?