Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NTO5 Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default NTO5 Tire Pressure

I know what I like for R6 and MPSC but this will be my first time with Nitto NT05.

C6Z06. Stock wheels, suspension and brakes (except for HPPlus front pads).

Tires: 285x35x18 F and 335x30x19 R

Thanks

DH
Old 04-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend investing in a probe type tire temp gauge. This will become your best friend in managing your tires and determining proper chamber and pressure. It will also help diagnose handling problems. Most tires want 15 - 30 degrees higher on the inside, with the center in the middle, for max grip. Even temps across will normally yield longest wear and good grip.

Do not use an infra-red type.

For my C5Z with NT05s on stock wheels, I ended up with around 32 / 30 F/R cold with Nitrogen, for even temps. They howled like hell but worked great and wore well.

I also very highly recommend Nitrogen for track use; it greatly reduces pressure increase with temp and makes it much easier to tune. Buy the regulator and rent the cylinder from your local welding supply and then N2 is incredibly cheap.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Z06trackman
I recommend investing in a probe type tire temp gauge. This will become your best friend in managing your tires and determining proper chamber and pressure. It will also help diagnose handling problems. Most tires want 15 - 30 degrees higher on the inside, with the center in the middle, for max grip. Even temps across will normally yield longest wear and good grip.

Do not use an infra-red type.

For my C5Z with NT05s on stock wheels, I ended up with around 32 / 30 F/R cold with Nitrogen, for even temps. They howled like hell but worked great and wore well.

I also very highly recommend Nitrogen for track use; it greatly reduces pressure increase with temp and makes it much easier to tune. Buy the regulator and rent the cylinder from your local welding supply and then N2 is incredibly cheap.
Thanks for your advise. And based on my street experience those are the pressures I was going to try first.

I will see if anyone at the track can check my temps.

I won't be dragging a nitrogen tank around in my car (no trailer)

DH
Old 04-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have NT-05s on an extra set of rims that I only use for Autocross and track days. When I first got them I tried keeping the pressure around 32 PSI, but I was getting a lot of wear on the outside of the center tread bar. I contacted Nitto and asked them what tire pressure would reduce this wear. They told me that they recommend running them at ~40 hot. So for track days I start at ~32 and they go up to around 40 by the end of the session. They seem to be wearing well...but, they are still wearing the center bar more then the edges.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I have NT-05s on an extra set of rims that I only use for Autocross and track days. When I first got them I tried keeping the pressure around 32 PSI, but I was getting a lot of wear on the outside of the center tread bar. I contacted Nitto and asked them what tire pressure would reduce this wear. They told me that they recommend running them at ~40 hot. So for track days I start at ~32 and they go up to around 40 by the end of the session. They seem to be wearing well...but, they are still wearing the center bar more then the edges.

Charlie

Those actually look like they are wearing evenly. My set that I use for DD (19+K miles) have worn the rears down to the tread bar while the outsides look new still. My inner fronts have worn the side not center from all those miles with -1.5 camber. I think the only way the edges are going to wear is under inflation or taking turns on 2 wheels

So how do they hold up. Do they get greasy at end of session. Are they ready to rock at beginning or do they need to be warmed up. What tracks have you run them on. Have you used R6 or MPSC before to compare ???????????????????

DH
Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Charlie

Those actually look like they are wearing evenly. My set that I use for DD (19+K miles) have worn the rears down to the tread bar while the outsides look new still. My inner fronts have worn the side not center from all those miles with -1.5 camber. I think the only way the edges are going to wear is under inflation or taking turns on 2 wheels

So how do they hold up. Do they get greasy at end of session. Are they ready to rock at beginning or do they need to be warmed up. What tracks have you run them on. Have you used R6 or MPSC before to compare ???????????????????

DH
They are holding up really well. I have about 10 autocross weekends on them (~15 runs per weekend), and three track days. One of the track days was on the California speedway infield track...and the other two were on the Roval. They stick well early and they hold up all day long. Nothing like an R compound...but, they last a lot longer. I am still new at driving track events so I am sure a better driver could get more out of them. At my last event on the Roval my best times were at 1:59. I haven't tried MPSCs or R6's so I can't give you a comparison...I assume they would both provide more grip

Get notified of new replies

To NTO5 Tire Pressure

Quick Reply: NTO5 Tire Pressure