Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny and Diff Coolers - How Many Switches

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Tranny and Diff Coolers - How Many Switches

I'm about to install the DRM transmission and differential coolers in my C5. Conventional wisdom tells me to have a separate circuit and switch for each pump. But my buddy bought a used Z06 with the same coolers already installed and both pumps are on one switch.

Pros - Cons of 1 switch vs 2?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:43 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

two switches then it is easy to see which one is working or not. If you have a problem you can shut down one. I have had DRM coolers for years
Old 04-07-2010, 09:35 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suggest two switches. The prefect example is when filling the systems you can just turn one side on at a time.

Randy
Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Mine is one switch, was that way and to lazy to change it
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Brad, off topic... you coming to the Glen May 3-4?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:30 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed with 2 swtiches. I wired to constant power so I can run the pumps for a little while after shutting down the engine to (hopefully) help cool the fluids a little more.

I also installed oil temp gauges on both trans and diff to monitor temps.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:44 PM
imp zog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three switches, one for each pump and another for the fans on the coolers themselves. The gear oil in the diff takes longer to get up to temp and is much thicker (75W90 vs ATF), so I leave it off for a couple laps longer than the tranny pump to let it thin out a bit. I don't run the fans at all when it's cool, and just use the pumps to circulate the fluids so that they get filtered.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One switch but went through a Relay
Old 04-07-2010, 07:08 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

As per Randy's great recommendation to me, go to Aircraft Spruce Supply and buy aircraft grade circuit breakers with a nice toggle switch on it. No worries about relays tripping, no fuses, less crap to go wrong

Which reminds me, I have 12 or so of those relays I no longer need to use and not going to finish building my way to much car for me track car.

Rick
Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate them. Sounds like either way will work but I think I'll go with two switches, a little more flexible setup.

Steve - as much as I'd love to hit WGI in early May I don't think I'll be ready. Still have bushings to install in the rear, the coolers and the whole car needs alignment. Shouldn't have put off all these mods until spring (already put a new motor in it and the front bushings, new wheel studs and a few other things). I'll be there in Aug for the PhoenixCMR event though.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
As per Randy's great recommendation to me, go to Aircraft Spruce Supply and buy aircraft grade circuit breakers with a nice toggle switch on it. No worries about relays tripping, no fuses, less crap to go wrong

Which reminds me, I have 12 or so of those relays I no longer need to use and not going to finish building my way to much car for me track car.

Rick
So you don't need to use relays at all? Just send the power thru the switch?. How much do they cost?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:33 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Two switches here. I send power directly through the switch although I think I used these 40 Amp capable Longacre switches. Like this:

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...d=439&catid=13

You can likely find something else cheaper. The fuses that I have inline are less than 10 Amps (I don't remember the exact size) so 40 Amps is way overkill. When the fluid is cold, the pumps draw quite a bit more current then when warm.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:52 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MySR71
I send power directly through the switch although I think I used these 40 Amp capable Longacre switches.
Why not use a relay?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:57 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Why not use a relay?
They just don't draw that much current. I hate the one more thing to fail theory because it's so true.

Randy
Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Why not use a relay?
I guess I don't see the need. 15 or 40 Amp switches aren't that expensive or ugly. I'd rather not have the extra wires. But hey, whatever works.....
Old 04-08-2010, 01:37 PM
dcvee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like 1 switch (fused) feeding 1 relay(fused)...less to go wrong/easier to wire/less $$. I would locate the relay that feeds both pumps in the rear cargo area and use 2 bladed feeds that run to each pump. So, if there was a case where you had to run either pump independantly, you could.

This gets even easier once we relocate our batteries to the cargo area.

Don
Old 04-08-2010, 02:06 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Relays prevent the need to run high current lines all over the car and through switches.

Should there be a short in the system you're more likely shorting the line that enables the power, not shorting a high current line to the chassis (most common type of short). Relays pull milliamps, some of these pumps and fan motors pull 40 A. The less wire you have throughout your car with 40 A running through it, the better.

It is safer, but sometimes more wiring. Automotive relays don't often go bad, but sure, it can happen. Personnally, I prefer a failure mode that does not result in fire.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed my relays near the underhood fusebox taking power from the hot wire going to the fusebox. I installed plug in fuses near the relays on the wires going to the pumps. If a fuse blows it is easy to get to.

There is a video of a guy who installed a pump in his Z06. He installed a lighted switch so he could tell when the pump was on. He added at the end that he didn't need the lighted switch because there is no doubt when the pump is on. I can attest to that. When you got 2 of those puppies running you know it.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Mine is one switch, was that way and to lazy to change it

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny and Diff Coolers - How Many Switches

Quick Reply: Tranny and Diff Coolers - How Many Switches