Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA BMR Hill Climbs Reading, PA

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:24 PM
R Mackow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SCCA BMR Hill Climbs Reading, PA

Has anyone done this hill climb before. I do AXs and HPDEs in a C5 coupe - have a fire extinguiher and a 6pt. harness, Snell SA helmet. NO roll cage, Hans device, or fire suit.
In SCCA I'm in ASP(at least last year I was w/V710s on 17" wheels)What would I need to compete?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:31 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I think you need the full cage for hillclimbs.
I hope to do at least one this year.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Any more details sounds kinda cool
Old 04-08-2010, 10:49 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I would ask Forum member Kerry Hitt of ACP (Autocross and Roadrace board). He has vast experience there, and was TTOD (top time of the day) many times.........even beating Oscar Kovaleski's McLaren M6B!
Last time I was there it was VERY dangerous, and several cars went off. There were guard "cables" but no guard "rails" (Armco). In addition, there are overhanging trees giving shade and leaves on the moisture laden (narrow) asphalt. It is high speed and lotsa blind curves (with little runoff), so I can't see why anyone would want to run it without a cage?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:26 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Rich,

I'm pretty sure a full cage is required. Check with Dave Grey (CPCC), Dave Walter, or Bill Sangrey (both CVCC) - they all ran the hill climb at Hershey last year. Are you running Pocono this year with CVCC? Hope to see ya there!

Mike
Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Hills are really cool. Then I was really younger too. I used to run the full PHA season several decades ago.

I always avoided going up the mountain in a street car. I never wanted to know how far down I would go if my car left the road. There are things in life you're better off not knowing.

Richard Newton
Old 04-10-2010, 06:06 PM
R Mackow
Racer

Mike, yeah, I'll be at Pocono. hope the weather holds out for next weekend. I just got done bleeding the brakes. I've done several other things: new LF wheel hub, rebuilt frt calipers, put on T-1 bars, had the car corner weighted, ride height checked, and aligned at Pheonix last week (Kurt is now a crew chief for a Subaru team), and got a set of new V710s. I put some of the scrubs out on the curb and they're almost all gone. I'm putting some touch up paint on the tire trailer.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:08 PM
R Mackow
Racer

I was at KAM specialties in Shiilington and a young lad mentioned the hill climbs and has run them. He said you needed a roll bar. I'll probaly call BMR SCCA contact to get the straight skinny.
Rich
Old 04-10-2010, 07:45 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like you're ready. See ya there, I sold my C-4 and just pick up an '04 Z-16, which I'm still
getting ready - have not done the brakes yet; I better get crackin'. See ya at the track
[quote=R Mackow;1573717245]Mike, yeah, I'll be at Pocono. hope the weather holds out for next weekend. I just got done bleeding the brakes. I've done several other things: new LF wheel hub, rebuilt frt calipers, put on T-1 bars, had the car corner weighted, ride height checked, and aligned at Pheonix last week (Kurt is now a crew chief for a Subaru team), and got a set of new V710s. I put some of the scrubs out on the curb and they're almost all gone. I'm putting some touch up paint on the tire trailer.[/quote

Last edited by PaConehead; 04-10-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:55 PM
opel
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

I ran Duryea last year and will be running again this year as well as most of the other events. Pagoda and Duryea run on the same hill, Pagoda uses the first half only so it's a slower speed event I don't think I got out of 4th gear on that section. But Duryea runs about 2.2 miles of the hill and the last half is scary as hell. 120+ MPH at the finish, with a stone wall on both side of the road with 0 run off room.

Depending on the class your car is in you may be able to get away with a roll bar only. But it would be way safer with a full cage. You will need a fire suit as well as socks shoes gloves. Just go to the SCCA site and look at the rules for group 4 time trails that's the rules you will have to abide by.

Just so you know this is what can happen at a Hillclimb http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irLUgThKTIg That's the same class I run in SSM the driver was fine and is back running another MR2 but you have to under stand there is a chance you will wreck you car.
Dave

Last edited by opel; 04-10-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:55 AM
jadedvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been racing a C4 up the hills now for about six years, and it's the best thrill you will ever have. This may be the last year you will be able to run with just a bar. Next year all the cars will have to have a cage. I hope this isn't true but it looks like it will go this way. If you have the chance to run one of the hills, take it, you will love it. Website is www.pahillclimb.org Joe
Old 04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irLUgThKTIg

Yep, that's exactly the same hillclimb course that I remember
Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 PM
barryz
2nd Gear

Posted 6/6/2010
The Duryea Hillclimb (and the shorter Pagoda Hillclimb) in Reading PA are classified as Level 4 TimeTrials events. These events require a full roll cage, a safety inspection for the car, a Log Book, and an SCCA Driver's License.
Some details, qualifications, track layout etc are located at http://bmr-scca.org/TimeTrialsHillcl...5/Default.aspx

The Kerry Hitt story and a drawing of his white & blue Vette are at http://bmr-scca.org/BMRHistory/tabid/898/Default.aspx

Recent Corvette competitors include Bill Miller (related to Lance Miller) in one of the C5's they purchased from Bondurant. I have photos, but they're not on the BMR website yet.

The Duryea Hillclimb runs on a public road that has a 25 MPH speed limit. The track record was broken in 2008 by George Bowland, who ran the 2.3 mile circuit in 105.528 seconds. He was boogie'in!
Yes, the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irLUgThKTIg movie mentioned above was shot at the same track.

If you want to contact anyone in the Blue Mountain Region of SCCA, please goto http://www.bmr-scca.org and click on the Contact Us page.

BarryZ
BMR Publicity Director
Reading PA
1990 Greenwood Corvette
Old 06-06-2010, 10:09 PM
opel
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

Barry I hate to disagree with you about the bar/full cage thing but if you run one of the autox classes you only need a roll bar not a cage.
Dave
Old 06-08-2010, 07:19 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am going to check out one of these events

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA BMR Hill Climbs Reading, PA

Quick Reply: SCCA BMR Hill Climbs Reading, PA