Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air cleaner and smog?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:02 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default air cleaner and smog?

I am installing a new radiator in my car and I plan on using a common 16x28 rather than the corvette specific replacements that are over the top expensive. I will have an oil cooler and most likely double pass it. Anyhow, my question is about the air cleaner. If there are no issues with smog I'd prefer to lay the radiator forward for many reasons, but that makes placing the air intake a bit tricky on a street car mostly because of keeping the factory headlamps. Without going into lots of details about how I would do it the bottom line is that the air cleaner will no longer have the factory box around it and will be exposed. In all actuality the factory setup is also exposed, but there is a housing around some of it. I'm thinking this will just make it a challenge, if not impossible, to satisfy the smog requirements(CA). My backup plan is to just build my own custom mounting and lay it back, as the factory does, to avoid all this. Anyone have knowledge with this sort of thing?
I also posted this in my regional section a couple days ago. I am pretty sure I'll use my backup plan even though I'd rather not, but I thought I would give comments one last shot here before I fire up the welder.
thanks,
-V
Old 04-10-2010, 12:31 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Instead of asking us, call CARB or a referee station and ask them (use a payphone just in case).
Old 04-10-2010, 04:05 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

This is all I could find from CARB:
Air Cleaner
Most emission controlled vehicles will have an air cleaner that is a closed element type or thermostatically controlled. A replacement air cleaner must meet the same specifications as the original and connect to any emissions equipment that was attached to the original equipment air cleaner. Any replacement air cleaner elements may be used as long as they meet original factory specifications. Any air cleaner that does not meet the original factory specifications requires an Executive Order to be legal for street use.

The part about meeting factory specifications is a grey area and the smog ***** could use it in thier favor. The other option is to use an air cleaner that comes with a E.O. sticker, but depending on the shape/size packaging may be more difficult than it already is. Lastly, I honestly feel most smog station operators just don't want to pass anything that looks altered.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

What about the new V-Ram for the C6s ? Single air intake.

Or LGs new C6 air scoop intake ?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:16 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

The problem is simply placing the air cleaner. On a street car with full frame rails, a front bumper, and headlights there is really not many options on location. The air cleaner will have to be on top of the radiator. To shield from hot air I can build a surround and grab cold air from the very front of the hood(bad for rain). I just really think that without having some sort solid proof that its legal a smog operator will turn the car down as soon as the hood is opened. Anytime they see a bunch of cool fabrication it just makes things worse.

Get notified of new replies

To air cleaner and smog?

Quick Reply: air cleaner and smog?