Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Autocross car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:40 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Convertible Autocross car?

Hey guys....i've never run autocross before, but i want to get started. i'm looking at buying another vette to use as a daily driver for now and maybe learn some autocross with it. but the wife wants a convertible. does anyone track a convertible? i love the idea of running around the track with the top down like the older generation vettes did sometimes, but i didn't know if that was even allowed. does anyone have any input?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdogg21
Hey guys....i've never run autocross before, but i want to get started. i'm looking at buying another vette to use as a daily driver for now and maybe learn some autocross with it. but the wife wants a convertible. does anyone track a convertible? i love the idea of running around the track with the top down like the older generation vettes did sometimes, but i didn't know if that was even allowed. does anyone have any input?
It's not a big deal...... Till you go highspeed and that's a whole different chapter. Then get ready to lay out some extra cash
Old 04-13-2010, 04:21 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

For a low speed autocross (NCCC or SCCA) a convertible is fine the way it is. For what NCCC calls a high speed autocross (one on a fixed road course), you will need a roll bar. Also if you plan on doing any HPDEs on a road course, a roll bar is most likely needed also. That is up to the track and the sanctioning body and their insurance. I know quite a few people who have converts that autocross. Some have bars and some don't.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I killed cones for several years in a vert. I loved that car. Makes a great daily driver. Go for it!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:47 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

cool! that's what i was hoping to here. i have no problem with a cage if i really get into this, but i didn't want to be stuck having to buy a coupe just to autocross.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:07 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

There's a guy that campaigns a 2003 anniversay vert on the national scene and it's a hoot to watch, and the car runs good too

GO for it!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
For a low speed autocross (NCCC or SCCA) a convertible is fine the way it is. For what NCCC calls a high speed autocross (one on a fixed road course), you will need a roll bar. Also if you plan on doing any HPDEs on a road course, a roll bar is most likely needed also. That is up to the track and the sanctioning body and their insurance. I know quite a few people who have converts that autocross. Some have bars and some don't.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I HPDE my convertible. But I have a substantial bolt in roll bar.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

my wife and i autocrossed a vert for years. we still miss that car.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Autocross car?

Quick Reply: Convertible Autocross car?