Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock brakes, school me.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:14 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default stock brakes, school me.

building a project car that uses vette hubs and brakes. its a '69 camaro and it will see alot of track days and autocross. looking at stock vette brakes from a cost stand point and C5 or C6Z stuff will work and be within budget and replacement rotors and pads are cheeper than aftermarket stuff.

now for the question, would it be better to go with plane C5 calipers and rotors or is the C6Z brakes the way to go?

i really would prefer the C6Z brakes from a looks stand point but i am a fuction first kinda guy. or would the added weight of the C6Z stuff and the drilled rotors make the C5 stuff better for me as it would be less unsprung weight? or is it just a draw either way?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

IMO, You would be much better off fitting up some short track stock car brakes such as Wilwood, AP, or others. They are not that expensive new and are available used for pennies on the dollar. They will easily outperform stock corvette brakes.

Wilwood, I believe makes kits for the early Camaro's. Find out what caliper they are using
and you can probably find them on ebay or stock car message boards.

Drilled rotors are not the way to go for track use.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:39 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

i have an aftermarket subframe and spindles that use corvette hubs, rotors, calipers and brackets. thats why i asked about the stock vette stuff

i am more than aware of drilled rotors sucking for track duty. i have talked many people into swaping Z51 brakes off there car for a solid rotor, another reason i don't care for the C6Z brakes.

wilwood brakes will never be on a car i own. AP are out of budget even though they are the best out there. i can buy the whole car set up stock stuff for what i would have in just the front brakes of AP.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:56 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroAJ
i have an aftermarket subframe and spindles that use corvette hubs, rotors, calipers and brackets. thats why i asked about the stock vette stuff
I used the exact setup using C5 calipers for our Camaro Chumpcar. The system worked very well. I would recommend using Cobalt X1 pads. They are not cheap, but work extremely well.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:59 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default brake pads

I use PFC Z pads on my 03 Z. They have been well suited for both track and auto-x. The trouble with pads that are rated more for track is they don't get hot enough in the first part of the auto-x runs since it takes quite a bit of heat to make them reach optimum. MSI(supporting vendor) introduced me to this setup in late 2003 and I bought 2 extra sets just in case they quit making them. A plus with these pads is they don't squeak and give off less dust than stock
Old 04-13-2010, 05:07 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Gotcha........you want to stick with the stock type stuff.

With regard to Wilwoods, I think they are underrated.
My road race stock car was built in 05 with Wilwood Integra 6 R's up
front off a cup car. Still on there, yet to be rebuilt, and have reliably
stopped the car from 185 mph at Daytona into Rolex turn one and
from about 170 into turn 17 at Sebring.

Is there better stuff out there? certainly, but at 200 bucks apiece
they were a steal.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:19 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

yes i would prefer stock type stuff. the other benifit i look at it as if i'm on a road trip and something happens getting replacement parts is way easier with stock stuff.

so are we all agreeing on C5 stuff? does anyone make a solid rotor for the C6Z stuff?

if i get the same braking performance from the two set ups i'll go with the C6Z stuff based on looks but if the performance is better on the C5 stuff i'll go that way.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:21 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
I used the exact setup using C5 calipers for our Camaro Chumpcar. The system worked very well. I would recommend using Cobalt X1 pads. They are not cheap, but work extremely well.

i wanted to run a few chump races this year but the team kinda fell apart. we ran lemons last year at nelson ledges and had a blast.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Don't go with the C6Z brakes. Everything for them is too expensive. Pads are high priced. A set of Cobalt single piece CSR (Track/Autocross) pads for front and back ran me $700 last year. I got 6 track days out of them plus several autocrosses and some street driving. There is some life left but coming from a C5Z with Wilwood front calipers I was really surprised by the high cost of the pads. I could buy excellent Wilwood H pads for front and rear for $400 and get 8 to 10 track days out of the fronts and about 16 days on the rea. The stock C6Z rotors aren't bad at $85 + shipping each and they did last several days longer than C5 solid rotors, however, they didn't have a full race pad heating them up. A large number of C6Z track people upgrade to Stop Tech or Brembo brakes. The initial cost is high but consumable costs are lower.

Bill
Old 04-13-2010, 05:49 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I think you can do ok with either choice. I have the c5's on, well, my c5, and my camaro. Bang for the buck a good way to go. The z06 stuff gets beat on by a lot of people but you get a lot of brake for the cost. DBA4000 rotors are available plain or just slotted for $250 a pair. 1pc pads are expensive, but I think a lot depends on what you are tracking with. Contact Randy (Probell), we have the c6z setup fitted to his 67 camaro and the car flat out flies using DTC70/60 pad combo. He went to this after 13" c4 brake fade problems (granted c5/c6 is a better caliper design, more pad,more rigid)

-Dan

PS- shouldn't you be over on pro-touring.com? never know who you'll see around here....

Last edited by 68sixspeed; 04-13-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:51 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

i'll have to check my price on pads but i do think they will be stupid expensive still. rotors are no big deal as i get them from GM at 10% over cost.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

oh i am on PT.com but when you have a question concerning anything related to corvettes you come here.

i sold my C5Z a few weeks ago so i think i'm still ok to be here for now lol.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by CamaroAJ
oh i am on PT.com but when you have a question concerning anything related to corvettes you come here.

i sold my C5Z a few weeks ago so i think i'm still ok to be here for now lol.
90 day grace period to get another!

If you can bum a drive on a stock c6z06 you'll answer your own question, the brakes are night and day better than the stock c5 setup, which are not bad, but not the same. I can't comment on how much better the AP/Brembo stuff is, but it sounds like you are comparing GM caliper'd options, I'd do the c6z if you have wheels that will clear them. FYI, my ROH 17" just clear them so it is possible on some non-standard combos.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:08 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Originally Posted by 68sixspeed
90 day grace period to get another!

If you can bum a drive on a stock c6z06 you'll answer your own question, the brakes are night and day better than the stock c5 setup, which are not bad, but not the same. I can't comment on how much better the AP/Brembo stuff is, but it sounds like you are comparing GM caliper'd options, I'd do the c6z if you have wheels that will clear them. FYI, my ROH 17" just clear them so it is possible on some non-standard combos.
well i'm a GM certified corvette tech so i've driven alot of C6Z's but i have never driven one on a track so i can't honestly compair. the car will have 18's in the front so clearence will not be an issue.

oh and does it count if the person i sold my C5Z to is on this board?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are in the enviable position of not having any brakes now. In other words, you don't have to throw out (or sell for cheap) your stock brakes. Consider aftermarket!

For max performance per dollar, I would buy the C5 Stoptech front 4-piston kit. This is designed to work with the stock rears which are inexpensive. These guys know what they are doing, and their stuff is very well engineered. Pads for their calipers are plentiful and relatively cheap.

If replacement rotor cost is a big issue, just go with the stock C5 set-up with good cooling in the front. This is still a very good braking system and cheap (I get GM OEM front rotors for $64 ea including shipping from newgmparts.com)

You will need a seperate set of pads and rotors for autocross and track as the requirements are completely different. (cold bite vs. hot bite)

Oh, and get the ZR1 style hubs if you haven't already bought the C5/C6 style.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:20 AM
CamaroAJ
Racer

That is correct i do not have anything as of right now. I get GM C5 rotors for $46 so thats a plus for running stock stuff.

i beleave the spindles already come with hubs but when they take a crap on me i planed already for the ZR1 hubs or if they don't come with the spindles. i'll look into stop techs stuff, thanks.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

if you must use C5 rotors, get C6 calipers - same size but people say they are stiffer

Get notified of new replies

To stock brakes, school me.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:29 AM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were choosing between the C5 and C6Z brakes for functionality, I would go with the C5 brakes every time. I've said it a million times...I think the C6Z06 setup is a good intention gone wrong. For pure functionality, they have some major flaws...drilled OEM discs, tiny padlets, non-directional rotors on one side, heavy, goofy pad retention, etc.

The C5 brakes are solid up to a certain performance level, uncomplicated, and inexpensive. The C5 brakes will give you better wheel clearance as well (not sure if that's an issue for you). I would put the C5's on, and if possible make sure you install some spindle ducting while you have the car apart now. It will be a lot more hassle to go back and do it later. Good ducting can make a vast difference in keeping any heat issues under control.

Try that out and see how it goes. If you aren't happy, they aren't performing as well as you'd hoped, etc., you can always sell the C5 parts for probably close to what you paid for them.

As for aftermarket stuff, we're working on an AP Racing T1 kit for corvettes. The whole front setup will retail under $2500. If you're using a full corvette brake setup with master cylinder, etc., it would work for you. You can see more details on it in this thread...start reading on p.8.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 AM
CamaroAJ
Racer

i forgot all about the rotors only being correct on one side of the car for the C6Z.

brake ducts are already on the build list, its on there before the brakes lol.

i'm going to find out what my cost is for the C5 stuff. the car will weigh the same or a little less than a C5Z so they should be more than fine.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:25 AM
CamaroAJ
Racer

also forgot to add that i will be running a duel master cylinder set up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stock brakes, school me.