Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Brake Pad Reccomendations

After hittin buttonwillow I realized that I need a little better pads.

I just replaced the rotors with factory replacements which I am happy with.

I currently run the hawk performance ceramic street pads but they dont have enough bite for me.

The next move up is the hawk HP +

or the hawk dtc - 70 race pads

. I do daily drive the car but do atleast 1 HPDE a month.

What do you guys think? How much more wear should I expect on my rotors?

I do plan on running stock rotors, I am aware of potential upgrades but am only interested in upgrading the pads now. The last set of the hp ceramic street pads lasted about 3 track days and 2k miles of street driving

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I prefer to have two sets of pads. For example, I have a set of Carbotech Bobcats for the street and then swap them at the track for Carbotech XP10/XP8 combo. The materials are compatible and thus no need for rebedding after a swap. Most track pads aren't so good for DD duty but I have run the XP on the street without problems (just wouldn't do it full time).
Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are even remotely serious about track time, you need dedicated track pads and rotors. Change 'em before the event. It's OK to drive your race pads and rotors to and from the track (gently), but then immediately change back to your street pads and rotors. Changing rotors is mandatory as the pad compounds diffuse into the rotors and this is part of the design of the pads. Also, if you have dedicated track rotors, then you don't have the pad to rotor wear mis-match when you change back to the street pads.

Track rotors are a disposable item. Replace them when they crack all the way through. They will not wear thin - they will crack due to thermal cycling first.

No need to upgrade the rotors - stock is all that is needed for the stock calipers. (drilled is for show only IMHO) Cooling on the front is a great investment.

You can ask 10 different people and get 12 different answers as to what is best for the track. Just get dedicated race pads - call your favorite manufacturer and ask them for a recommendation. Forget compromise pads - they will not work on the track.

I use PFC or Carbotech, but there are plenty of other worthy manufacturers.

Last edited by Z06trackman; 04-13-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:26 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using Hawk HT-10 front and DTC 30 rears with street tires works well for me. I think the HT-10's are an older compound that is similar to the DTC 60
Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I RUN pfc 01'S ON THE STREET AND TRACK. WORK GREAT!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

There really is NO duel purpose brake pad, Since you are doing a track /DE once a month, then changing brake fluid is a must. Perfect time to switch brake pads and inspect as well.

Good Luck
Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

brake pad section:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 04-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Richor
After hittin buttonwillow I realized that I need a little better pads.

I just replaced the rotors with factory replacements which I am happy with.

I currently run the hawk performance ceramic street pads but they dont have enough bite for me.

The next move up is the hawk HP +

or the hawk dtc - 70 race pads

. I do daily drive the car but do atleast 1 HPDE a month.

What do you guys think? How much more wear should I expect on my rotors?

I do plan on running stock rotors, I am aware of potential upgrades but am only interested in upgrading the pads now. The last set of the hp ceramic street pads lasted about 3 track days and 2k miles of street driving

Thanks.
If you are running the same rotors you ran the hawks on. I would stick with hawk until you need new rotors. Ofcourse i would be happy to help you. If you would like to talk you can call me at 216-780-8825. If you decided to go with carbotech i would highly recomend starting with new rotors. MY sugestion would be xp10 front and xp8 rear.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:46 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Richor,
As others have mentioned, the ideal situation is to have two sets of pads and discs, and swap them before and after each event. That way you'll always have the best tool for the job.

In your particular case however, I'm going to go against what the others have said for one for one primary reason...the level at which you're driving.
The last set of the hp ceramic street pads lasted about 3 track days and 2k miles of street driving
This is not intended to be insulting, etc., but if you are able to get that kind of wear out of Hawk Performance Ceramic or HPS on the track, you are not pushing your brakes very hard at all (I'm also assuming you haven't had any fade since you didn't mention it). I've driven Buttonwillow a bunch times, and it can be fairly rough on brakes depending on the configuration.

That means at this stage I do believe you could simply swap out your pads and keep your existing rotors without any issues.

I would recommend trying the new sintered CL pads for this reason. The lowest-end compound in this line is the RC5+. It is the closest thing to a true dual-use pad I've ever seen. This is a new pad line my company Essex has just brought to the US (we are now forum sponsors as well...just need to find my old login info).

The RC5+ has much higher bite than the pads you're used to, will wear a lot longer, yet retains low noise and modest dust. They will be much, much more resistant to fade as well. If you scroll down on this page you can see one of our customers driving the RC5+ compound a few weeks ago at Spring Mountain on a very fast, heavy car: http://www.essexparts.com/brake-pads...s/cl-customers

One of the nicest aspects of these pads is that they don't have much of a transfer layer, so you shouldn't have any problems running them on your used discs. I would just recommend running them on the street for a few days prior to your next event, and they should be good to go.

These are the shapes for your Z51:
Front
http://www.essexparts.com/shop/brake...e-pads-91.html
Rear
http://www.essexparts.com/shop/brake...e-pads-90.html

Based on what you said about your pad wear, my hunch is your rear pads and discs are fine and aren't getting nearly as much wear as the fronts. If that is the case and you're trying to watch your pennies and keep it simple, just buy the front RC5+ now and leave your rear setup alone. Addiing the rear RC5+ would balance the car out a little more, but I don't think it's a big deal with how you're driving the car right now. You're not wringing the car out as it stands.

Everyone has different needs, but I believe The RC5+ front would be a huge upgrade vs. what you're using now, and that they will suit your current needs perfectly on the street and track. We spent a LOT of time over the past year developing this compound specifically for customers in your situation.

Finally, here's an article I wrote on choosing brake pads a while back. I think it could be helpful for you: http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...ose-brake-pads

Last edited by J Ritt; 04-14-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 PM
mjdrebano
Intermediate

Another carbotech fan here.

Running xp10 and 8 on blanks.

Just replaced my front pads and I was surprised to have 50% still.
That was after 5 k street miles, some Autocross, and about 7 track days.
I think I went through 2 sets of rotors on the front and just now replaced the rear.rotors due to a split to the edge.
the rear xp8 have about 60% left.

They stop well cold . You just need to apply a Tad more pressure since they operate better at higher temps. They will squeal badly at times.

I like how they modulate and are easy on rotors.

Bought mine from brakeswap.com
Old 04-14-2010, 11:54 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried the HP+ pads and they were baked after the first session at full speed (the track is hard on brakes).

I just upgraded to Carbotech XP12/10's with fresh FLAPS rotors, SS lines & DOT4 - and I'm waiting on the quantum rotor end cooling to go with the DRM ducts. I've got an event this weekend, hoping that does the trick.

I'm hoping that does the trick.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless you're doing dt70.. then fuggetaboutit! hehe

i run carbotech xp8 on the street and track, they're definitely a track compound and they can squeal like a bitch, but on the track they're amazing, no fade at all! ... i do have stoptech brakes tho, give carbotech a try, just make sure you clean up the rotors REALLY well before putting them on.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:37 AM
mikefili
Pro

I too tried the HP Plus at first, did 2 track days with horrible results, they put down an uneven coating on the pads that resulted in severe brake judder, they are a street pad and not up to the temps that we create on the track. The main problem is that Hawk wiill tell you they are a "dual purpose" pad, there is no such thing. I am sure if I went with a true Hawk track pad things would have worked out. I went to XP10 and XP8 with great results.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

dont xp8/xp8. the xp8 is a lower weight car pad, and the 3000-3200 vette is too much for them in the front. they fade too fast.

i like those pads, great initial bite and easy to modulate.

xp10/xp8 though, do not go 8/8.

XR2 are a good pad as well.

PFC 01 also a decent pad.

All are track pads only. not for street.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:35 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

If you got 3 track days out of a set of ceramic pads the HP+ should be fine for you.

You're driving the car easy enough that you're not going to benefit from a pure race pad. Also, I imagine you're runnig street tires and not R-compound. Race pads will be too much for street tires.

I and I imagine many others would not get a single session from a set of ceramic pads on the track. They would melt and/or fade to being useless in a couple laps. For example I went wore a new set of OEM pads with street tires to the backing plate in 3 sessions or right at 90 track miles.

Have you ever ridden with a hard core, fast driver to see what the brakes are subject to when used VERY hard? Would help you get an idea of how to use the brakes when driven hard.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 04-15-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:22 PM
LS3x416
Advanced

I like the DTC 70 Pads for Track work. They have a vicious bite and you might go thru a set of Rotors over a 2 day event. But well worth the money.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:09 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 pm the CL Brakes pads.
I use RC6s - on street and track for my S2k. Very musical on the street. Not the slightest hint of fade on the track (w/Motul RBF 600).
They are sintered metal - so different than other pads.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pad Reccomendations

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Reccomendations