Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok to bed in pads on new R6s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:30 AM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ok to bed in pads on new R6s?

I live right by a highway so normally when I bed in pads I just make a lap or two around the access road between exits. This weekend I was going to use the first session to start the break-in of my new R6s and then switch back to the Nittos for the rest of the time. Is it ok to bed in the pads on the R6s or will that heat them up too much?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:40 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NewFoundPower
I live right by a highway so normally when I bed in pads I just make a lap or two around the access road between exits. This weekend I was going to use the first session to start the break-in of my new R6s and then switch back to the Nittos for the rest of the time. Is it ok to bed in the pads on the R6s or will that heat them up too much?
I bed pads on track with my R6's.... General practice, is get them warm, then get them HOT, then let them cool off.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
I bed pads on track with my R6's.... General practice, is get them warm, then get them HOT, then let them cool off.
I use the first session to bed in my pads as well. In the short straights between turns I do a series of short low speed stops (dont actually stop just slow down then speed up), then on the longer straights I do faster harder stops.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:43 PM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I wouldn't mind doing that if it weren't for the other cars on track not knowing I'm bedding in brakes and that I'd be stopping harder and/or more often than normally necessary to get them hot. I could give it a shot though... but don't the R6s take more laps to get up to temp than it would to bed in brakes? I read on the Hoosier website to spend 10-15 minutes working up to max speed, is that about right? That would be longer than I normally spend bedding in brakes, is that ok?
Old 04-15-2010, 03:31 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Tire temp is not in direct correlation to brake temps.

here is my method, I go out for 2 laps warming everything up, by now the pads will be warm, I have one lap that I'm hard on the brakes (even then maybe not a full lap). The 4th lap, I cool it down, 5th lap, I'm in.

Its always worked for me in the past.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by NewFoundPower
Well I wouldn't mind doing that if it weren't for the other cars on track not knowing I'm bedding in brakes and that I'd be stopping harder and/or more often than normally necessary to get them hot. I could give it a shot though... but don't the R6s take more laps to get up to temp than it would to bed in brakes? I read on the Hoosier website to spend 10-15 minutes working up to max speed, is that about right? That would be longer than I normally spend bedding in brakes, is that ok?

I try to go out towards the end of the pack and just be light on the brakes at corners until there is no one behind me. Or like Spazegun said, just be easy on everything for a lap or two.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look on the stoptech web site for the procedure for bedding pads and seasoning rotors. You need to do some repeated stops and you not need go any faster than 70-8o MPH in a straight line with near no heat in the tires. Seasoning tires should be done the day before and they should sit 24 hrs
Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a video on this topic a while back:http://www.essexparts.com/learning-center/Bed-in

You should be fine to bed-in on race tires. It will be easier to get heat in the brakes than it would be with street tires. That said, it will also be easier to overheat the brakes with the race tires on. So, rather than doing 10 stops from 60mph, you may only need 5 from 60mph, 4 from 80mph, etc. It will just depend on a number of factors as discussed in the video.

Hopefully that helps you a bit.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:04 PM
blkz
Pro

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't bedding a no-no on the track .

Get notified of new replies

To Ok to bed in pads on new R6s?

Quick Reply: Ok to bed in pads on new R6s?