Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterford Hills / Worth a 5 hour trip for one of their open track days ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:02 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Waterford Hills / Worth a 5 hour trip for one of their open track days ???

Thinking about taking a drive up next Sunday from Cincy but have heard their open track day sessions might only be 15 minutes or so and only about an hour of track time.

Does this sound right and would a 5 hour trip one way be worth it?

Thanks
Bill
Old 04-16-2010, 12:31 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Short answer no, It's only 45 minutes from my house and I've never had my race car on the track, Grattan yes, Gingerman maybe waterford not so much.

It is a fun track but to make a dedicated trip, run with 3 ***** there instead. lots of track time
Old 04-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Short answer no, It's only 45 minutes from my house and I've never had my race car on the track, Grattan yes, Gingerman maybe waterford not so much.

It is a fun track but to make a dedicated trip, run with 3 ***** there instead. lots of track time
I went there for an NCCC event a couple and had a good time, but I have heard their fun days are not that great. Try going with another group.

Some people dont like the track because it is short and you dont build up much speed. I liked it because it has lots of elevation change and off camber corners which make it fun. If a group like NASA were to run their I think I would go back but not for a funday.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:00 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by WNeal
Thinking about taking a drive up next Sunday from Cincy but have heard their open track day sessions might only be 15 minutes or so and only about an hour of track time.

Does this sound right and would a 5 hour trip one way be worth it?

Thanks
Bill
Some guys over on Digital Corvettes have organized a track day at Gingerman the next day; a bunch of us from the Detroit area are heading over to that. Maybe come up and run both days and make it a more worthwhile trip? The DC track day is only $100 and I'm sure you could still get in.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I live 20 minutes from Waterford and I won't even go there. It's short, narrow, and dangerous. It's for go-carts, maybe Miatas, not Corvettes.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 04-16-2010, 09:20 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

On the plus side if you do come up and spend the night I would be willing to take you out on the town, hell you could crash at my house if you like.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:11 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by L98Terror
On the plus side if you do come up and spend the night I would be willing to take you out on the town, hell you could crash at my house if you like.
Thanks Ken,
I doubt we will come up after the comments above.
Monday is just too busy for me right now to run with the Digitial Corvette Guys.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I live 20 minutes from Waterford and I won't even go there. It's short, narrow, and dangerous. It's for go-carts, maybe Miatas, not Corvettes.

Waterford Hills could improve itself. See Blue line addition in the photo below.

This would increase lap speeds and make the track a little more suitable for Corvettes. It would also free up infield parking space for the racers. As it is now, the infield parking area is very limited. Racers today have to move their trailers to the south end of the property outside of the race course.

Last edited by Pumba; 04-17-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:24 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I enjoy the track as a change of pace. It also helps I am only 15 minutes away. The track keeps you very busy. Many people with high HP cars don't view Waterford as their favorite.

The issue with their track days is that they could have as many as 6 run groups. I did one last year though, and there were only 4 groups. With my track car, I was able to run with the open wheel group, which only had 3 cars. We combined groups later in the day when the other 2 open wheelers left. So, I got a decent amount of track time.

As mentioned, 3 ***** will be there twice this year; Saturday July 10 and Monday, September 27. I plan to use 4 groups in July, and only 3 in September. If you are interested, shoot me a note and we can talk about swapping spots.

Ken

Get notified of new replies

To Waterford Hills / Worth a 5 hour trip for one of their open track days ???

Quick Reply: Waterford Hills / Worth a 5 hour trip for one of their open track days ???