Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Shirt Tank Mount in C5

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 AM
txst
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cool Shirt Tank Mount in C5

Hey guys.

I was looking for any advice and pictures as to how you mounted the ice tank for a Cool Shirt setup in a C5. I made a plywood base and bolted it to the well in the back of my Z06, with the aluminum tank mount with the strap screwed securely to it, but I am a little nervous that the fiberglass well could crack in the event of a hard frontal impact, and I want to make sure I don't get clobbered with an ice chest.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-21-2010, 05:52 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

What size washers did you use when bolting to the fiberglass in the rear well ? Large fender washers 2" in diameter should be used for spreading the load. You can even run a small aluminum bar on each side under the well from bolt to bolt to further spread the load if you feel necessary.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:30 AM
txst
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually did use a 2" fender washer. I thought about adding an external brace as well.

Even with the retaining strap cinched down as tight as possible, there is still more movement in the cooler than I would like. I may end up adding some eye bolts into the frame rails on either side of the well and running another strap between them for added security.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:38 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drilled four holes. Zip tied mounting plate down. There, I fixed it.

Get notified of new replies

To Cool Shirt Tank Mount in C5

Quick Reply: Cool Shirt Tank Mount in C5