Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-car communication/radios...

Old 04-22-2010, 08:36 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default In-car communication/radios...

What are ya'll using for in-car communication/radios? Specifically, so that the driver and a passenger (i.e. instructor) can communicate easily on track with a loud car and helmets on. An added bonus would be communication back to the "pits" but since I'm largely just interested in HPDE/track-day it's not really necessary for my use-case.

Thanks,
TJ
Old 04-22-2010, 08:49 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

chatter box (motorcycle gear)
Old 04-22-2010, 09:44 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
chatter box (motorcycle gear)
Thanks, it looks like they have just what I need. Any particular setup/kit of theirs you use or recommend?

-TJ
Old 04-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Radguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
Thanks, it looks like they have just what I need. Any particular setup/kit of theirs you use or recommend?

-TJ
Chatterbox CB-50 with 2 student headsets and 2 extension cords. This way they are not permanently attached to your helmet. You can use it with the ear mic on either your left or right ear depending on whether you are driving or instructing. This way, the cords are always coming out of the helmets on the inboard side, out of the way.

On a 2 day HPDE, make sure you take the charger with you so you can charge the unit in the evening between the 2 days.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
Old 04-22-2010, 10:04 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Radguy
Chatterbox CB-50 with 2 student headsets and 2 extension cords. This way they are not permanently attached to your helmet. You can use it with the ear mic on either your left or right ear depending on whether you are driving or instructing. This way, the cords are always coming out of the helmets on the inboard side, out of the way.

On a 2 day HPDE, make sure you take the charger with you so you can charge the unit in the evening between the 2 days.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
That is exactly the feedback I'm looking for!

Thanks,
TJ
Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

I have the earpieces and mike installed in my helmet as it was a real tight fit and I can't get the student (slide in) inside my helmet
the installed is real nice as it has two earphones
Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

I have the earpieces and mike installed in my helmet as it was a real tight fit and I can't get the student (slide in) inside my helmet
Yeah... looking at it more I think I'll do the installed type in my own helmet, and have a student-style for instructors/passengers. Maybe I'll have an extra student one on hand in case I have a co-driver and want to equip their helmet as well as an instructor.

-TJ
Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Radguy
Racer

So far, no problems with the student headsets. Put the helmet on and pull on the strap outward while you slide the unit over your ear. Haven't encountered anyone who couldn't do it yet.

I use this as many of the instructors I had when I started doing HPDE's had the same setup with a unit made by NAGY. One criticism of these was that the headsets were someone flimsy and didn't last long before breaking. That's why I bought the Chatterbox.

Jonathan
Old 04-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Chatterbox here too. One of my first HPDE mods was to install the headset in my helmet and bring an extension cord along. Most every instructor I've had uses these and it's far easier to just plug in to their unit rather than mess with the student headset.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:43 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want an intercom that will also control a radio and have an output for recording, you might want to check out the intercoms from Peltor. Subesports carries them as they are mostly used for the rally crowd. They are a lot more expensive than the Chatterboxes though.

http://www.subesports.com/products/c...t/brand/Peltor

Their headsets are more expensive too and they don't really a "student" type headset.

Just thought you might like to see other, if more expensive options. Stilo also makes intercoms but I think they are even more expensive.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:14 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

When I started instructing I had a nagy. It was ok, but after a few weekends it was scratchy. My students couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear them. Bought a chatterbox and won't go back.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

what they all said... i have a lighter helmet for instructing with the kit mounted.. its just velcro and easy to remove if needed.

Get notified of new replies

To In-car communication/radios...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In-car communication/radios...