Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cal Club SCCA Buttonwillow Double Nation track report:

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:15 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Cal Club SCCA Buttonwillow Double Nation track report:

Our big bad last double national day 1 has come and gone. I had lots of little things to get squared away. Big thanks to all the guys for helping me with scrubs, and Charlie and friend Jason for helping me get through the first 2/3 of the day doing all the little things that kept popping up, seriously couldn't have gotten everything done in time without you guys, THANKS!!!

Back to the racing; I sucked it up hard today, but I'm done making excuses..I haven't been in the car in 6 months (ok, last excuse ).

Qual results:

P1: Steve Schmidt
P2: Oli Thordarson
P3: Roy Benedetti
P4: some AS car
P5: Ryan Cashin
P6: Chris Ronson Jr (me)
P7: Carl Fung
P8: Mystery man (this is funny, so I'm going to keep it going online )

Race results:

P1: Oli
P2: Steve
P3 Ryan
P4 ME
P5 Carl
P6 MM

I don't know if they count Dr. B as a DNF or a finish. He came in on his own after a large cloud of dirt and a little bump to Oli, but I think he was being safe than sorry. Roy was running hard up front with the guys

-CR
Old 04-25-2010, 01:16 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

and now its bed time!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:43 AM
tcrcuda5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the t1 battle was fun to watch.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by tcrcuda5
the t1 battle was fun to watch.

We have some great video of many lead changes. Four different drivers were in the lead at multiple times. At one point there was a hard hit by the first and second place cars and they flew off-track, but resumed racing.

We will post two or three action packed in car videos during the next week.

Oli
Old 04-25-2010, 03:45 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Qualifying today:

P1 Oli
P2 Steve
P3 ME
P4 Ryan
P5 Mystery Man!!

I only got maybe 4 laps in and my oil cooler line decided to blow out up front, cockpit filled with smoke and I pulled off line and got the **** off track/out of car..almost pulled my fire line but decided to open the hood first; thank God I didn't bc there wasn't a fire, just a crap ton of smoke

race should be interesting when we all put our good tires back on.

Dr. B and Dr. C both wanted to bug out early so they ran STO today and not T1.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Race results:
P1 Steve Schmidt (SoPac Division champ now!!)
P2 Oli
P3 Ryan
P4 MM
P5 Me (6th overall)

can't speak for the other guys, but I had a hell of a weekend. It was non stop from my busted oil line this morning to yesterday patching a bad brake line between the master and abs. I helped Ryan a bit as I wasn't Chasing points for a division title like Oli, Steve, and Ryan were. So on the start I gave a slight hesitation and let Ryan by. I got meatball flagged after lap 1 because we forgot to attach my window net. So got in the pits, we got it on and I came back out under double yellow..2nd to last. After 4 laps of double yellow flag "racing", we were back to a green and I worked my *** off passing everyone (twice a couple times :o ). I don't think I've ever been blatantly blocked so bad by what's normally lap traffic when they weren't even around people in their same class. Oh well. It was a fun weeked and I got my car pretty well sorted out and am down to shock adjustments!

Congrats again to Steve on being the SoPac Division T1 Champ!!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Sounds like a real blast. Thanks for the report Chris !!!

Congrats Steve !!!

DH
Old 04-26-2010, 09:47 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Good job Chris and congrats to all who raced down there! Sounds like you made a lot of progress with your car Chris .
Old 04-26-2010, 10:22 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job everyone and congrats Steve on the Championship.

Aaron
Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

A lot of progress is an understatemet this was also the first time my dad has been with me at the races in the corvette; after 41 years of racing, I don't think he's ever worked so hard during a race weekend to prep a car

I even got compliments on the pair job on my car!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 AM
tcrcuda5
Instructor

congrats steve
Old 04-26-2010, 11:53 AM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

I was ticked at myself for blowing any chance in the first race... sundays race? I didnt mind losing... that was some of the most fun i've ever had..

reviewing video now.

T1 is quickly become the race to watch in so cal.. every worker and person watching said with the close calls, crazy offs, amazing saves and close racing we are definitely the most entertaining of all.. haha. it's like wreck miata with V8s.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:11 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Oh, and even if I didn't help Ryan at the start, I still had nothing for him Would've taken probably 2 laps, maybe 3 for him to finally work by me
Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Bill is a great driver. I have seen it first hand from the racing tarmac.

Oli

Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Oh, and it looks like my video worked. So I have video of me putting on a passing (and re-passing :o ) clinic from yesterdays race I'll try to get that edited sometime this week in between work and sleep....hmm this weekend may actually be better
Old 04-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Congrats to Steve Schmidt our new SoPac T1 Divisional Champion for 2010.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Hans Delbruck
Pro

What a race! Congrats guys! It was great meeting you Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Cal Club SCCA Buttonwillow Double Nation track report:

Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

On the 1st or second lap I passed Oli in star mazda.. and though 'that will be good video.

Then I realized I didnt turn the cam on... so I reached over and started it up in riverside and the back stretch.

Chased Steve for 2 laps, then we went double yellow.

Here is from the restart.

Part 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SliIJg_YXXw

Part 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13t7r9Q6WHo

Part 3. - Oli and I 'touch' exactly wheel to wheel... no body damage but whacks both of our alignments... but before I realize that we drag race to 1, but I decide to let him go through since we won't catch Steve side by side.

As soon as we get to riverside we both realize it ain't happening. Then the fun starts in cotton corners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Zi0MfOqnU
Old 04-26-2010, 11:23 PM
drbenne
Instructor

The weekend was one filled with great racing and comraderie. The vette guys really stuck together to help each other out. Oli gave me one of his spare rear calipers after my bleeder screw stripped the caliper threads. During qualifying I noticed an inconsistent brake pedal and lost all my brake fluid due to a front brake line lead. Steve dug thru his trailer and found a rear brake line for me to install. Both of these problems were weekend enders were it not for the generosity of our race group.

It was an awesome race on Saturday. I have some phenomenal video of the battle for the lead as I was playing it cool to pounce on Oli when I fell into 2nd place. Unfortunately, I got a little too aggressive trying to stay on Oli's tail as we came upon some slower traffic. I knew I would be unable to slow down enough for the upcoming 90 degree corner and tried to shoot straight thru to avoid hitting anyone. Fortunately Oli saw me coming and was able to lessen the impact of our side to side impact. Oli off roaded for a long distance and avoided spinning to enter the track again and win the race. I was very glad that I did not ruin his race.
I tried to continue but had a damage rear rim and severe toe out of the right rear due to bent tie rod and it was undriveable. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Chrs Ronson wins the against all odds award . He and his dad spent the majority of thier time working on the car or towing it to and from Super 7's shop for some fast repairs between runs. Difficult to keep you mind on your driving when your going from one disaster to another between runs.

Congratulations to STEVE SCHMIDT. He drove great .

Roy
Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Awesome Picture! Look at that grin on Steve's face. I should not have left early. See you guys at ACS in June? Congrats Steve! I think living under that cool canopy gave Steve the edge.

Quick Reply: Cal Club SCCA Buttonwillow Double Nation track report: