Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Brake pads?

Old 04-25-2010, 05:23 PM
gmk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Track Brake pads?

Getting ready for track days and looking for the best track pad for my 09 Z06. I would like to find something that will work on track & street.
I like the idea of two pads vrs. the factory six pad system.
I'll probably attend 8-10 DE events in one season.

Thanks for your time!
Glenn
Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Is that 8 to 10 days or 8 to 10 2 day events. A large number of events are two days.

The Cobalt Friction single piece CS-R pads from LG are pretty good and can be driven on the street going to and from the events. I used them last year. I got about 6 track days, several autocrosses and several hundred street miles on them before the end of the season. They have at least 2 more track days of life. Price for front and rear was around $700. You will need spare rotors as they will get the rotors hot enough they will crack after 5 or 6 track days. Check GM Parts House and Parts Taxi for rotor prices. Make sure you look at the 2008 catalog for rotor prices since the 2009 doesn't list a price or lists a higher price than the 08 catalog.

Bill
Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From the research I've done there doesn't really seem to be a good combo pad. I've got two HPDE weekends on my stock pads and they had plenty of stopping power. I bought a set of Cobalt CSRs that I plan to try for both street and track. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure that there is a compromise After looking and talking to people that know alot more than me I went with
Front.....HAWK DTC-70 RACING BRAKE PADS
rear......HAWK HP PLUS BRAKE PADS

You will need to change between track and street but end result should be best.

Just my .02

Last edited by Gman57; 04-25-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman57
I'm not sure that there is a compromise After looking and talking to people that know alot more than me I went with
Front.....HAWK DTC-70 RACING BRAKE PADS
rear......HAWK HP PLUS BRAKE PADS

You will need to change between track and street but end result should be best.

Just my .02
I boiled a set of Hawk HP+ pads on my C5 after a couple track days. I've got a Carbotech XP12/10 F/R setup with fresh rotors now. And I drive it on the street. Makes tons of noise, but stops really well...

Old 04-25-2010, 11:11 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Originally Posted by darguy
I boiled a set of Hawk HP+ pads on my C5 after a couple track days. I've got a Carbotech XP12/10 F/R setup with fresh rotors now. And I drive it on the street. Makes tons of noise, but stops really well...

There is no compromise pads that will work well for street and track. If you're willing to suffer a little on the street the above pads will work. The real answer is to have full on race quality track pads and a set of street pads. Switch them when you switch driving. I hate to break it to you but that is the only real solution.

Dog
Old 04-25-2010, 11:49 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cobalt XR1 front and XR2 rears with their own rotors for track days......street pads of choice and their own rotors for the street. Just swap them out when you change tires when leaving the track.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM
TS Motorsport
Pro

I have DTC70's in the front and rear. Once bedded correctly, they are pretty quiet.

Last edited by TS Motorsport; 04-26-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Take a look at these carbotech compounds. All our compounds are compaitable. That means you can run 1 set of rotors and use our 1521 compound for the street than just swap pads. Nothing else required.

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo National Championships. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. Bobcat 1521™ compound has also been found to extend the life of your rotors 2-3 times. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

Carbotech™ XP12™ (1112™)
The latest iteration of the highly successful XP™ series of compounds with an extremely high initial bite, torque and fade resistance than compound XP10™. XP12™ is a world leading friction compound that is unmatched as a Ceramic racing compound, with a temperature range of 250°F to 2000°F+. The XP12™ still has that excellent Carbotech release and modulation that has made all other Carbotech compounds so successful. The XP12™ is the most rotor aggressive compound Carbotech offers, but compared to the competition the XP12™ is still very rotor friendly and contains 100% non-corrosive dust. XP12™ is recommended only for expert/very advanced drivers. XP12™ is found to be most affective on race cars weighing 2,400lbs or more using R-Compound tires; or street cars weighing 3,200lbs or more for track use only. Ideal for LMP1, LMP2, DP, T1, T2, T3, H1, H2, GT1, GT2, GT3, TC, GT, ST, GS, MX-5 Cup, etc… XP12™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP10™ (1110™)
When Carbotech unleashed the XP10™ to the general public, and it was an instant success, gathering multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ is a very high initial bite friction material, with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1650°F. Due to the high level of friction and bite, this material is recommended for cars weighing around 2,000lbs or more, not including formula cars and cars with brake bias bars weighing less than 2,000lbs. This is the preferred compound for the front of Spec Miata racers, SSC,SSB, T3, SRF, ITS, ITE, H1,H2, H3, H4, 944 Cup, ST, GS, Factory Five Cobra’s and many more Grand-Am/ALMS/SCCA/NASA classes. XP10™ is also ideal for advanced/instructor level HPDE drivers. XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release and excellent modulation, rotor friendliness, and 100% non-corrosive dust that have made all Carbotech compounds so successful. XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've said it before and I will say it again. Choose a pad based on the tire you are using first, then on your driving style second.

I am a long time Carbotech guy, but I think XP12's are overkill for street tires and could never be used as a daily driver.

If you are a novice (please be honest with yourself, it is based on real track time, not that you have been driving fast cars on the street for a long time) running on street tires, I recommend the Bobcat as a dual use pad. While this pad would not be good on a set up car with Hoosiers, for a novice through mid intermediate on street tires, this is a good upgrade from stock pad and a sensible place to start. If you find you are burning them up and they are no longer working (that is a good think and you can move upward). I'd bet though they will work decently for a while.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:35 PM
darguy
Drifting

I think the home track also plays a big factor. Lots of corners and short straits made me go to the Carbo XP12/10 combo with my Nitto NT05 street tires. Worked way better than the HP+ pads, which didn't last a complete day at comp speeds - and I'm a novice, for sure. I daily drive this as well - I'm not sure why folks recommend not using pads of these nature on the street. They stop fine with the first application, and after three stops are twice as grippy as a stock pad. My 2c...

Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

No such thing as a track and street pad. Anything you do will be a compromise one way or the other. Best advice is to use stock pads and rotors on the street, change to track pads and rotors when you get to the track.

Cobalt Friction makes some of the best pads out there. Tremendous initial torque, easy to modulate, last far longer then the competition, and are far less abusive on your rotors. The compound we would recomend would depend on your experience and what tires you run. On street tires we would use CSR compound. For those with more experience and race tires, we would use XR2 compound. We have both in stock for the C6 Z06 in the single pad design.

Give us a call if interested or with any questions.

Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
815-254-2631
Old 04-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

I ran Carbotech Bobcats at my first HPDE at Summit Point a couple of weeks ago. They performed great. Only problem was that I went through 80% of the front pads in a single HPDE weekend. I am just a novice, but perhaps slowing down the fairly heavy 606hp 2010 Callaway Grand Sport is too much to ask for a pad intended for the street.

I have changed to XP10/8 combo and am very pleased with how they perform on the street. No noise or grab that I have noticed.

Plan to run this combo for dual use and see how it goes. Can alway go back to the OEM rotors and pads which are sitting on a shelf. Just nice not to need to spend 1:30 changing brakes.

Last edited by Dan Wendling; 04-28-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by darguy
I think the home track also plays a big factor. Lots of corners and short straits made me go to the Carbo XP12/10 combo with my Nitto NT05 street tires. Worked way better than the HP+ pads, which didn't last a complete day at comp speeds - and I'm a novice, for sure. I daily drive this as well - I'm not sure why folks recommend not using pads of these nature on the street. They stop fine with the first application, and after three stops are twice as grippy as a stock pad. My 2c...

It's not that race pads don't work on the street, but the noise and dust is pretty unbearable. Once in a while I run race pads on the street if I have to take my car to the dealer or get something repaired during the track season, and it is the worst most aweful sound like an 18 wheeler breaking into a million pieces. To the point where everyone looks over like your car is about to burst into flames.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Look in the brake pad section. Its written for C5, but the compounds out there is the same for both C5/C6 same principles apply. Pads are kinda subjective. Some are definitely not rotor friendly, life friendly, dust friendly though.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 04-28-2010, 06:25 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

cobalt friction gets my vote also

Get notified of new replies

To Track Brake pads?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Brake pads?