Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on autocross brake pad

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:05 PM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need advice on autocross brake pad

They will go on a 94 Corvette without the j55 option. I am leaning towards Hawk pad since I have experienced them in person. Looking for specific model/part #'s.

Looking for the absolute best stopping power for low speed autocross.

Hawk makes many different pads and I am just not sure about the heat ranges my brakes get to during low speed autocross (under 80mph).

I don't mind having to change out the front brakes pads before driving the car home from autocross if need be. I just don't want a pad that has to be so hot to work when I may never reach the optimum temps.

All I know is that Hawk HP + is significantly better thant Hawk HPS.

I don't care about noise, dust, how much it wears/tears up rotors, etc. I just want best best pad for stopping power. Period.

Thoughts?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:21 PM
66IISS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have Carbotech AX6 on our 96, I much prefer them over the Hawks. one thing I have noticed is that they squeak, even when hot. Other than that, good power even when cold.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:12 AM
RattlerC5
Instructor

HP+ and Napa rotors...Always there cold or hot..I run them on the street and put up with the dust. Technical courses or wide open, high speed autocross, I have not found anything else much better, including rigs with big brake kits.

Haven't run them at a track day, so no claims there.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Brake pads

I prefer Performance Friction Z rated. I have used them for auto-X and hpde's. They are quiet, fade resistant and give off much less brake dust than most. Great as an all around pad.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

For low speed autocross events, the Hawk HPS pads should work just fine. The HP+ pads do need some heat in them to work. If the speeds you see are in the low end of the 80 MPH range, the HP+ pads may never get hot enough to see the benefits of that pad. Don't forget that the pads will cool down some between runs.

HP+ pads will dust a bunch but one thing about the dust is that if you don't clean your wheels and they get wet, the dust will cake on and become very hard to remove.

I have used HP+ pads on my 87 for track days and they worked fine. On the street, the cold bite is not that good and they do squeal a bunch when cold.

You will probably find that the HPS pad is a better all-around street/autocross pad compared to the HP+. If the car is used primarily for autocross and very little street use, then go with the HP+.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a pad that the manufacturer recommends for autocross with race tires. Talk to the rep before you buy. The compound chosen must specify a heat range that includes ambient temp.

I use Carbotech AX6s with Hoosiers on my C5Z. They work great and the dust is non-corrosive. I run them on the street too.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Lots of good advice here.

I used HP+ on a C5 Z06 I used to own, and they were good.

But in the end I really thought the stock pads were good enough for autox, and they were a lot less hassle.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by CStewTAMU
They will go on a 94 Corvette without the j55 option. I am leaning towards Hawk pad since I have experienced them in person. Looking for specific model/part #'s.

Looking for the absolute best stopping power for low speed autocross.

Hawk makes many different pads and I am just not sure about the heat ranges my brakes get to during low speed autocross (under 80mph).

I don't mind having to change out the front brakes pads before driving the car home from autocross if need be. I just don't want a pad that has to be so hot to work when I may never reach the optimum temps.

All I know is that Hawk HP + is significantly better thant Hawk HPS.

I don't care about noise, dust, how much it wears/tears up rotors, etc. I just want best best pad for stopping power. Period.

Thoughts?
Check out our ax6 compound

Carbotech™ AX6™ (1106™)
The AX6™ takes the place of the Panther Plus™ compound that was so successful. AX6™ was specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range (50°F to 1150°F +). Advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial “bite”, high coefficient of friction, and very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. AX6™ offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures, excellent cold stopping power, and non corrosive dust. As a result, AX6™ is an excellent choice for Autocross & AX6™ has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its fantastic bite, release & modulation. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech doesn’t recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT a race compound, and should not be used as such. AX6™ shouldn’t be used by any intermediate or advanced track day drivers, and should not be used with “R” compound tires (racing tires).
Old 05-03-2010, 09:42 AM
waktasz
Pro

^^ Says not for use with R-compound tires?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by waktasz
^^ Says not for use with R-compound tires?
It can be done but we recomend the xp8.

Carbotech XP8™ (1108™)
A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range (200°F-1350°F+). Carbotech XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Outstanding initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance, very rotor friendly with 100% non-corrosive dust. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter ITA, ITB, ITC, SRF, H4, H5, and other cars that weigh less than 2,400lbs. Perfect for novice, intermediate and advanced track day (HPDE) use with any tire, and can still be driven safely to and from the track. There are several vehicles that use XP8™ on the street, autocross, and at track day (HPDE) events. Carbotech does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. XP8™ is also a great rear brake pad for almost any race car (Spec Miata-T1/T2/CMC). XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last sentence in the AX6 literature is mis-leading in this context because it doesn't consider autocross with race rubber: a unique application for brakes where very high coefficient of friction is required at ambient temp. The AX6 provides this best of the Carbotech pads. When they write "not for R-compound tires" they are referring to race track usage where the stickier tires are likely to generate pad temps that are beyond the AX6's capabilities.

Last edited by Z06trackman; 05-04-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 PM
waktasz
Pro

Sounds good. Does anyone have experience with the Ferodo ds2500?
Old 05-05-2010, 02:10 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a front set of DS2500 pads for a C5 Vette. Make me an offer....
Email zeohsix@gmail.com
Old 05-05-2010, 07:51 AM
batchman
Advanced

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
AX6™ shouldn’t be used by any intermediate or advanced track day drivers, and should not be used with “R” compound tires (racing tires).
And you should never put a Q-tip in your ear....

I've been using AX6's on a couple of fairly heavy autocross cars for a few years, on R compounds and at a level where C4 hubs only last a handful of events if you get my drift.

I find the AX6s have good cold torque (important in autocross) and can lock a loaded Hoosier at will. I've not had a problem with pad fade, even when courses demand high left-foot-braking plus big brake zones (ie plenty hot, just not track hot).

In some ways I found the Bobcat similar, a little easier to modulate but it wanted more initial heat.

Later,
- Jeff
Old 05-05-2010, 11:31 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have autocrossed, HPDE, TT in my other car with XP10/XP8, driven on the street, etc and find them totally satisfying, dust a bit, some noise once in awhile, really bite even stone cold, etc.......

I have them on our C6 Vert now, Z06 calipers, DBA rotors, but have not run the car anywhere but on the street but did some pretty hard core back road mountain runs one day. I do not mind the dust, washes right off, a little noise, no worries to me.

I like them so far and have a set here for the other cars new BBK as well, custom made for me with a very fast turn around time, thanks Carbotech!

I do not change pads, no need for what I like, willing to live with, etc....

Rick
Old 05-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want a quick review of all the pads commonly used check the brake Pad Section here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on autocross brake pad

Quick Reply: Need advice on autocross brake pad