Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front rotors in rear with rear stock calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default front rotors in rear with rear stock calipers

can it be done? can the rear caliper handle stopping the bigger rotor?
just curios because i have front spares hanging around and my rear rotor is toast... dont reallly care about parking brake option, its hardly used
thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

For simple street duty, probably fine. I would not want to be w/o a parking brake on the street. Just my $0.02.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:20 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try DBA rotors.... they are 2x the cost of rear rotors, but they last 4-5 times as long.

I know that KNS brakes can get them (and he is a vendor)

Past that, if you are looking to run fronts in the rear, you'd need a new bracket at the very least.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:46 PM
gamman3
Racer

new brakets are a cinch, its just an adapter to align things. The parking brake is more of the issue. I guess we should search on the system, but I have read somewhere that it has its own shoes, can't recall if that is my new car or my old subaru....

I too like this option, as the rears are so tiny, the more mass there the better for cracking. The brakes (Calipers, pads) seem to be fine, but the rotors seem to have little margin built in for the heat tolerance road racing provides.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:56 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front rotors are 1.26" thick, rears are 1.025" thick. Even with some type of adapter, the rotor isn't going to fit in the rear caliper. If you are talking about putting front calipers on the back, then it can be done simply. However, it doesn't work as the front caliper has too much bite and the balance is way off.

If you are looking for a better rear rotor, we make a 2 piece rear rotor with or without the parking brake. We use Coleman rotors and machine the hats ourselves. Our rotors are 100% made in the USA, directional, direct fit replacements, slotted only - no holes, and weigh significantly less then the stock rotors. For example, the rear without the parking brake weighs just over 9.5 pounds.

If you are interested or have any questions, give us a call at 815-254-2631.

Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well there goes that idea. I just ordered new rear rotors thanks for the responses. so I cant use front rotors on the rear unless I have front calipers there as well, and that will probably throw out the master cylinder performance so Ill just keep it stock and grin and bear it. im trying xp10's on the rear so I hope they last...for a while.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:33 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
Front rotors are 1.26" thick, rears are 1.025" thick. Even with some type of adapter, the rotor isn't going to fit in the rear caliper. If you are talking about putting front calipers on the back, then it can be done simply. However, it doesn't work as the front caliper has too much bite and the balance is way off.

If you are looking for a better rear rotor, we make a 2 piece rear rotor with or without the parking brake. We use Coleman rotors and machine the hats ourselves. Our rotors are 100% made in the USA, directional, direct fit replacements, slotted only - no holes, and weigh significantly less then the stock rotors. For example, the rear without the parking brake weighs just over 9.5 pounds.

Robert Finlayson

FWIW, I put the front calipers and rotors on the back of my C5 for track use only and the master could not keep up.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:42 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vette6aut0x
FWIW, I put the front calipers and rotors on the back of my C5 for track use only and the master could not keep up.
Just curious on what you mean when you say the master couldn't keep up?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dbratten
Just curious on what you mean when you say the master couldn't keep up?
soft pedal
Old 04-29-2010, 01:24 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting... I always thought C5 has self-adjusting f/r brake bias which would mean it can deal with different piston size ratios.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:28 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Your talking about a 60% fluid increase to the rear.....I can't keep up that much, at least not well
Old 04-29-2010, 10:25 AM
gamman3
Racer

Originally Posted by Vector Vette

Robert Finlayson
would be good to put that on the webpage.
PM me with price please.
I have an 03 z06 with stoptech fronts, and stock rears. Planning on using XP10/8 pads, with 220utqg for the first half of the season, until they wear out, then ra1's or r888's in about a 295/18 square pattern.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:02 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Originally Posted by John Shiels
soft pedal
Real soft

Get notified of new replies

To front rotors in rear with rear stock calipers

Quick Reply: front rotors in rear with rear stock calipers