Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:23 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Kits

Has anyone used the AP Racing brake kit on their C6 Z? If so what was your experience with install, performance, pedal feel etc....

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Liquid1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am guessing you're familiar with this thread, but if not I think it will be helpful.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...tive-****.html
Old 04-30-2010, 04:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

AP is a quality product, but my only concern is piston sizing. In the old days, companies like Brembo made calipers and it was up to the auto manufacturer or race team to size the master cylinder to ensure proper bias.

Unfortunately, aftermarket companies would use Brembo calipers and just slap them on an adapter and sell them as a kit. What you ended up with was a cool liking caliper but a totally screwed up braking system, with premature lock up at one end of the car.

I was a big fan of Stoptech early on because they sold calipers with piston sizing matched to the specific application. I'm NOT saying that AP hasn't done this, but I am saying you need to investigate. If the relative piston area front/rear doesn't stay pretty close to stock, you won't get efficient braking and you'll overheat the overbiased end of the car.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:13 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
AP is a quality product, but my only concern is piston sizing. In the old days, companies like Brembo made calipers and it was up to the auto manufacturer or race team to size the master cylinder to ensure proper bias.

Unfortunately, aftermarket companies would use Brembo calipers and just slap them on an adapter and sell them as a kit. What you ended up with was a cool liking caliper but a totally screwed up braking system, with premature lock up at one end of the car.
or just the opposite, a BBK that did not stop worth a darn do to the mismatch.

There are a few vendors of good BBK sets that have done the research and match the calipers with the stock corvette brake booster and MC
Old 04-30-2010, 05:20 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We have been selling the AP packages for the C5 since about 1999, and then right away in 2005 we put them on a C6 and have been just fine!!! They do work well with out a master upgrade, but even better with our Master. Our kit uses different Calipers and rotors then the "AP" built kit.
http://dougrippie.com/?p=692

If you have any questions please let me know.

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Old 05-01-2010, 08:26 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DRM set up is tops!
Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
We have been selling the AP packages for the C5 since about 1999, and then right away in 2005 we put them on a C6 and have been just fine!!! They do work well with out a master upgrade, but even better with our Master. Our kit uses different Calipers and rotors then the "AP" built kit.
http://dougrippie.com/?p=692

If you have any questions please let me know.

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
does your master allow the ABS to still work?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:57 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
does your master allow the ABS to still work?
Yes sir it does. I have this setup on my car and this one time...... Let's put it this way it saved a right front corner from getting crash tested.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Kits

Quick Reply: Brake Kits