Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-hooks - alternative to Northern Tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default T-hooks - alternative to Northern Tool

the other day I received an email asking me where I got my t-hooks since mine have an extra link which the northern tool ones do not.

We figured out mine were from Mac tie downs. Truly I never thought if the link made a difference or not but then this week I was loading my car on the trailer and realized I liked the ones from Mac better.

Of course with moving and not touching the trailer for a few months I couldn't find all my tie downs so I had to go to my backup set which are stored in my trailer. My backup set had 3 with northern tool hooks and 1 with Mac tie down.

First thing I noticed was the t-hooks from northern tool were rusted and the 1 Mac t-hook was not. Second I realized how much easier it is to use the t-hooks from Mac which have the extra link. They are easier to maneuver than the Northern tool ones. Third I just checked out pricing of new ones and found the Mac ones to be $1 less (yeah not much but something).

So people looking for an alternative to northern tool (currently t-hooks are on back order at northern tool) look at Mac tie downs.

Safe towing....

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 05-04-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got mine from AW Direct. CA-13 item.

http://www.awdirect.com/tie-down-hooks-ca15/hooks/

No rust, work fine, and they're fairly cheap.

Dog
Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by meldog21
I got mine from AW Direct. CA-13 item.

http://www.awdirect.com/tie-down-hooks-ca15/hooks/

No rust, work fine, and they're fairly cheap.

Dog
Just upgraded from a C-4 to Z-06 so I just bought the these AW hooks and they work fine, but after I looked at a set with the extra link and actually test fitted them, I think the extra link would make hooking to the snap hook on the strap easier- particularly with the twisted style end. - probably won't bother to to buys another set, but if I had a do-over . . .
Old 05-05-2010, 05:41 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are these the ones you got: http://www.summitracing.com/search/N.../?autoview=SKU

And is that the preferred/recommended way to strap down a C5? From the 4 T-hook slots in the frame? What do you all think about a package like this (with the T-hook ends already sewn on): http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/276/Towing

Thanks,
TJ
Old 05-05-2010, 07:00 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use T-hooks in the slots on my frame to strap my C5Z to the trailer.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by tjZ06
Are these the ones you got: http://www.summitracing.com/search/N.../?autoview=SKU

And is that the preferred/recommended way to strap down a C5? From the 4 T-hook slots in the frame? What do you all think about a package like this (with the T-hook ends already sewn on): http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/276/Towing

Thanks,
TJ
I ordered these a few days ago. I will let you know what I think when they come in.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks,
TJ
t-hooks sewn in leave the strap useless for anything else. Just make sure your strap has the clip hook in plane with the strap not twisted. leaves more clearance below the car to the trailer. Mac with the extra link would work better with a twist strap hook as it turns another 90*
Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks,
TJ
I did quite a bit research on this before I started hauling the Z-06 as a track car, but there are several threads on this and most guys seem to use the t-hooks and factory slots. I've been very satisfied w/how stable/secure the car is (I cross front and rear straps) and how easy to use. And I agree w/ John about the separate straps and use of links w/twisted snaps.

Last edited by PaConehead; 05-05-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:45 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
t-hooks sewn in leave the strap useless for anything else. Just make sure your strap has the clip hook in plane with the strap not twisted. leaves more clearance below the car to the trailer. Mac with the extra link would work better with a twist strap hook as it turns another 90*

Twisted on the ratchet end and flat on the T-hook end.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 PM
fun12bet
Instructor

John:
Where can you buy the straps with twisted hooks on one end and flat on the other? I can only find flat on both ends or twisted on both ends.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans

Originally Posted by fun12bet
John:
Where can you buy the straps with twisted hooks on one end and flat on the other? I can only find flat on both ends or twisted on both ends.

Thanks,
Rick
Look here my friend got some here http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/249/Towing

They will make what you want.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:41 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fun12bet
John:

Thanks,
Rick
Call howard hill enterprises in macon ga. I've sent many forum members to him. Just mention the corvette forum and he'll know exactly what you need. He is the manufacturer so there's no middle man to deal with. He has special pricing set up for us too.
478-743-8406
Old 05-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I got a set of Mac with the t-hook sewn in. I actually like the functionality but I agree they are only good for cars which use a t-hook. Not really an issue for me since I buy dedicated tools and other equipment for the vette so I never have to search for anything but that becomes expensive.

On another note the set I bought has the ratchet right at the end of the strap which I like a lot more. Depending on your trailer setup having the ratchet at the end of the strap could mean avoiding dealing with trying to ratchet under the nose of the car which gets old quick.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:12 AM
fun12bet
Instructor

Thanks everyone, I'll check out those places.

Rick
Old 05-28-2010, 10:15 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by sperkins
Call howard hill enterprises in macon ga. I've sent many forum members to him. Just mention the corvette forum and he'll know exactly what you need. He is the manufacturer so there's no middle man to deal with. He has special pricing set up for us too.
478-743-8406
You are going to make me spend all my trailer money in Macon - aren't you?????

Is he close to the trailer guy? I'm going to pick up the trailer tuesday.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:58 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jaa1992
You are going to make me spend all my trailer money in Macon - aren't you?????

Is he close to the trailer guy? I'm going to pick up the trailer tuesday.

He's about 15 minutes from the trailer guy, but he'll probably meet you somewhere closer if you call him.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
I got a set of Mac with the t-hook sewn in. I actually like the functionality but I agree they are only good for cars which use a t-hook. Not really an issue for me since I buy dedicated tools and other equipment for the vette so I never have to search for anything but that becomes expensive.

On another note the set I bought has the ratchet right at the end of the strap which I like a lot more. Depending on your trailer setup having the ratchet at the end of the strap could mean avoiding dealing with trying to ratchet under the nose of the car which gets old quick.
I think I'm going to go ahead and order the set w/ the T-hooks sewn in tonight. I might consider the set with the T, J and R hooks all included on the end to give me a little flexibility. I'm with you though: I buy tools/equipment dedicated to the Z. However, it'd be useful to have a few options to help friends get stranded cars home. My Z remains street registered, so if a buddy's car breaks down during a track day my car could be driven back and I could tow their car.

Also, you mentioned you got the set w/ the ratchet as close to the end as possible, I agree 100% that's the way to go. Ratcheting under the nose of a Corvette is not fun.

This is the set http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/276/Towing correct?

-TJ

Get notified of new replies

To T-hooks - alternative to Northern Tool

Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I actually like R hooks more. I get my stuff from truckntow.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

The pictures on the MAC site really suk. If you get the one with the hook cluster sewn in and a twisted hook on the fixed end, does everything align so the strap does not twist? I would be using the t-hook on a c5.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:01 PM
68-427Rich
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've always used M&R straps and ratchets. You can get them in custom lengths and with t-hooks, j-hooks, etc.

Quick Reply: T-hooks - alternative to Northern Tool