Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First HPDE: What to bring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 AM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First HPDE: What to bring?

I'll have my first HPDE this Thursday and I was wondering what people usually bring with them? I'll pack a lunch/water and bring some extra fluids (oil/brake) but my main concern is the tools. In reading the sticky above, it's recommended to bring an air compressor, lug (torque) wrench, and a few basic tools. These obviously wont be in the car during the event and I'm concerned about someone walking away with them. For my first event, what is absolutely necessary and how concerned should I be about leaving my belongings unattended?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

for the most part stuff is pretty safe at the track. there are exceptions to every rule and I'm sure someone at somepoint had stuff taken from them, but usually its OK to leave your stuff in the pit area. you'll see that alot of people do the same. I pack my car full of anything I think I may need and will leave it in one spot for the entire day and have never had so much as a zip-tie taken without someone asking first. the demographic at a track event is a little different then the drag strip, there I would chain and lock all my ****!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Liquid1
Instructor

I guess all of this depends on the organization you run with, but I've never been concerned about my fellow trackers nicking my stuff... if anything, they'll probably be the ones helping you out if you need a tool that you haven't brought. I would suggest for you, bring drinks, sunscreen, and a baseball hat (the helmet will definitely mess your hair up, if applicable).

For the car, I would bring a few quarts of oil, spare brake fluid, spare brake pads if yours aren't brand new, windshield cleaner, paper towels, air pressure gauge, torque wrench if you have it, and an air compressor if you have it. But really don't worry about it. You're going to be very busy either on track, in class, talking to your instructor, with only a little time to check on the car during the day. Be sure to arrive a bit early and get those checks done before the day starts because you're probably going to be too busy otherwise.

Have fun, learn, and be safe.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had no troubles at all leaving tools and things in the pits while I'm on track. I bought one of those small air compressors that plugs into your accessory outlet. I like to bring a good size tarp with me 8X10 in case it rains you can cover your stuff. I do want to buy an Ezup to start taking with me. I take brake fluid, oil, front rotors and pads (used). Torque wrench for lug nuts and a few extra nuts. Also basic metric and standard hand tools. Work on your car at home not the track. Sounds like you've got it covered pretty well. Have fun!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:45 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

I have been going to track days for 9 or 10 years now. In all those years, I have never heard of anyone getting anything stolen. Leave it out unattended. It will be right where you left it at the end of the day.

On the other hand, very light things may blow away, if you don't weight them down with something.

I wouldn't take an air compressor to my first track day. Be sure your tires are properly inflated before leaving home. Then you might let some air out at the track, but not so much to make them dangerously low. If you want, you could put a little air back into your tires at the first gas station on the way home.

Be sure your brake pads have enough pad material - Should be no less than 6 mm thick. Check the pads on the inner and outer sides of the caliper and on all four corners of the car.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Not sure of others and their experiences, but I've never seen or heard of someone's tools or track box being stolen at a track event.

Although I trailer my car to events, my track box with all tools, fluids, etc. is out and I've never been concerned. If anything, I put a tool down somewhere and have to search for it when packing up..

Get yourself a track box - even a rubbermaid container works, to keep everything in one spot and easy to load/unload in your car.

At track days you will find a bond - brother/sisterhood with most willing to watch out, help and guide.

Along with the Sticky, there are a few threads in here, not too far back with lots of information on what to bring,

Enjoy your day, be safe and btw - you will be assimilated

lauri
Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

oh how exciting. bring sunscreen and drink plenty of water.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WYCKD 1
Not sure of others and their experiences, but I've never seen or heard of someone's tools or track box being stolen at a track event.
Although I trailer my car to events, my track box with all tools, fluids, etc. is out and I've never been concerned. If anything, I put a tool down somewhere and have to search for it when packing up..

Get yourself a track box - even a rubbermaid container works, to keep everything in one spot and easy to load/unload in your car.

At track days you will find a bond - brother/sisterhood with most willing to watch out, help and guide.

Along with the Sticky, there are a few threads in here, not too far back with lots of information on what to bring,

lauri
I don't think people who can afford to track their cars do a whole lot of stealing at trackside.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by k0bun
For my first event, what is absolutely necessary
Old 05-04-2010, 11:35 AM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WYCKD 1

lauri

Agreed on ALL parts!

And I have left my laptop, camera, tools, obd-2 scanner, etc in a pile for the taking and never had any issues in 4 track events.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:15 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bring enough tools to raise the car 1 tire at a time so that you can bleed the brake fluid. Spare fluid is important although at some tracks you can just buy it at an adjacent track store if needed. Also pads--I would bring spares if yours are at 50-60% thick or less.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:12 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is my checklist. You can copy and paste to Word.

Stuff To Bring (Highly Recommended):
• HELMETS
• Paperwork (completed)
• Required clothing (long sleeved shirt and cotton long pants)
• Listing of Computer Codes
• Tire pressure gage
• Tire air compressor w/fix-a-flat
• Engine oil (1-2 quarts)
• 1 container of brake fluid
• Brake bleeding equipment (tube/bottle, etc.)
• Supercharger fluid
• Duct tape
• Fire extinguisher
• WD-40
• Paper towels / rags / wipes
• Cotton towel for yourself
• Torque wrench w/ socket
• Brake pads repl tools – 16mm wrench, 21mm socket(bracket), 15mm(pads)
• Other tools (sockets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc...)
• Contact paper w/scissors
Stuff To Bring (Optional):
• Spare parts.
o Serpentine belt
o Brake pads
o Rotors (front & rear)
o Caliper bolts and caliper bracket bolts and caliper pins
o Wheel studs and lug nuts
o Clamp kit
• Jack
• Jack stands
• Impact wrench w/breaker bars
• Gloves – Mechanix
• Funnel for oil
• Tie wraps
• Grease
• Ice chest (Drinks, energy bars, snacks)
• Sunglasses
• Sun screen
• Camera
• Extra tapes.
• Power Converter
• Flashlight
• Power Station
• Map/directions/phone number of track
• Folding chair
• Umbrella
• Ground tarp
• Rain tarp
• Extra set of keys
Old 05-04-2010, 03:35 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a clean head, willigness to learn and listen, PLENTY of water (2x what you think you'll need). SUNSCREEN

check your lug nuts to make sure they are tight, replace your brake fluid prior, some window cleaner and paper towels.

For a true first timer, don't worry about tools and such.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

I agree 100% with 95Jersey.

I did my first a couple of weeks ago and brought way more than In needed.

I would add that you should have a good set of brake pads and fairly fresh rotors. I went through 80% of my front street pads in a single 2 day HDPE at Summit Point.

Basically, you will be in sensory overload and really wont have time for much else but learning.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:56 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

agreed, don't worry about tools and spare parts for your first day.

In addition to sunscreen and drinks I would also bring a foldable chair, simple snack and something to cover your stuff if there is a chance of rain.

if you need tools, you will be able to borrow them, it is totally acceptable for a newbie to wander around asking for wrenching help.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:36 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."

Thanks for all the help guys. I like to be prepared but I'd also like to keep things to a minimum so I can just concentrate on learning and driving. I'm going with a group of exotics. The Vette is probably the lowest end vehicle invited. Basically guys with cars worth almost as much as my house. So hopefully I shouldn't have to worry about anything. I just don't want to bother people asking for tools. Thanks again.

Getting excited now!
Old 05-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by drivinhard
That item comes into play after the track day when you have to fix stuff!

Get notified of new replies

To First HPDE: What to bring?

Old 05-04-2010, 06:05 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I have my first track day on Saturday as well. Thanks for all the info.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

I would bring the things you think you'll logically need, but don't go overboard.

I showed up to my first DE with just my car, my helmet, a few basic tools and my registration forms and quickly found out that everyone I met was perfectly willing to loan me anything I might have needed and forgot to bring. Life was so simple then.

Today I have an SUV & 24-foot trailer packed full of stuff I probably won't need and am more than willing to share my tools, or extra brake fluid with someone who's in need. I've loaned a can of Super Blue and recieved two in return. And I've NEVER had a tool loaned & not returned and despite leaving my stuff unlocked and often unwatched have never once worried about anything walking off.

I'm sure you'll have folks looking after you as I did when I started and you'll maybe get to return the favor sooner than you think.

You're going to have a blast!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Blurr
Instructor

Originally Posted by drivinhard

Yep after that first track day

Quick Reply: First HPDE: What to bring?