Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manually Positioning C4 FX3 Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default Manually Positioning C4 FX3 Shocks

I have a Service Ride Control light and have not yet checked the code, but if it is a case where the motor is bad or teeth are missing on the gears, what direction do I spin the gears to have them be full stiff? I have the car on jackstands now checking other things and while its up there I might just turn them all to full stiff manually until I can repair them. Can I do this with my fingers or do I need to grab the gear with pliers or something? Also, once I put them in full stiff mode what keeps them from turning back?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:02 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
I have a Service Ride Control light and have not yet checked the code, but if it is a case where the motor is bad or teeth are missing on the gears, what direction do I spin the gears to have them be full stiff? I have the car on jackstands now checking other things and while its up there I might just turn them all to full stiff manually until I can repair them. Can I do this with my fingers or do I need to grab the gear with pliers or something? Also, once I put them in full stiff mode what keeps them from turning back?

The gears on mine turns easily with fingers. Only way I know of to be sure they stay there would be to leave the actuators off or unplug the actuator after getting the gear where you want it.

But I don't know which way to turn them. You might be able to turn them one way and the other and bounce the car after you get it off the jacks.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lbs90ZR
The gears on mine turns easily with fingers. Only way I know of to be sure they stay there would be to leave the actuators off or unplug the actuator after getting the gear where you want it.

But I don't know which way to turn them. You might be able to turn them one way and the other and bounce the car after you get it off the jacks.
I guess I will have to try bouncing it. The only thing I have to take off would be the rear wheels and the tops of the shocks, so it shouldnt take long. I have read both CCW and CW so I guess I have to figure it out.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:54 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

A FX3 code will put them in full firm as a default. The gears turn very easily by hand if they are working properly. From memory and many years ago, its clockwise for full firm.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
A FX3 code will put them in full firm as a default. The gears turn very easily by hand if they are working properly. From memory and many years ago, its clockwise for full firm.
Thanks. I heard the default for a code was somewhere in the middle not full firm or full soft? Do I have to put the car on the ground to feel the damping difference or can I feel it in my hands?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:34 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked my files. Turning the gear clockwise as view from the top is toward firm as I thought.

I have one source stating 60 degree and one stating full firm when a code is triggered for the 89-91 series shock. 30 degree for 92-95 series.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
I checked my files. Turning the gear clockwise as view from the top is toward firm as I thought.

I have one source stating 60 degree and one stating full firm when a code is triggered for the 89-91 series shock. 30 degree for 92-95 series.
Thanks for the confirmation! I was just about to put it on the ground and bounce it to feel a difference. Full clockwise it is.

Get notified of new replies

To Manually Positioning C4 FX3 Shocks

Quick Reply: Manually Positioning C4 FX3 Shocks