Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z 4-Point Roll Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:26 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5Z 4-Point Roll Bar

Question: Does anyone know if you can purchase a SCCA legal "bolt-in" 4-point roll bar? I have received from forum members the names of several shops that can custom build a roll bar. Before going that route, I was wondering if someone made a bolt-in that is SCCA legal. I read and understand the rules as follows:

1. material to be 1.750" x .120" DOM seamless alloy
2. must be a min of 2" above your head when seated.
3. can not be more than 6" behind the seated driver.

What have most of you guys ended up doing when converting from a hardbar to a 4 point roll bar? I know several of our supporters offer chassis bars, not sure if they will meet SCCA requirements.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:37 PM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Old 05-06-2010, 02:40 PM
ccj
Racer

Originally Posted by MYRX
Question: Does anyone know if you can purchase a SCCA legal "bolt-in" 4-point roll bar? I have received from forum members the names of several shops that can custom build a roll bar. Before going that route, I was wondering if someone made a bolt-in that is SCCA legal. I read and understand the rules as follows:

1. material to be 1.750" x .120" DOM seamless alloy
2. must be a min of 2" above your head when seated.
3. can not be more than 6" behind the seated driver.

What have most of you guys ended up doing when converting from a hardbar to a 4 point roll bar? I know several of our supporters offer chassis bars, not sure if they will meet SCCA requirements.
Legal for what classification? HPDE? Time Trials? Road Racing?
Old 05-06-2010, 03:05 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

A 4 point such as the one shown in the attachment would be OK for solo events (hpde, auto-x, time trials).

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...ory_Code=AP401

For nasa and scca racing, you will need at least a 6 point cage with door bars, window nets, and required bracing plus a fire retarding system. However, if you are sure you will not be racing, a bolt-in 4 point roll bar would be a nice option.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:23 PM
ccj
Racer

Originally Posted by redtopz
A 4 point such as the one shown in the attachment would be OK for solo events (hpde, auto-x, time trials).

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...ory_Code=AP401

For nasa and scca racing, you will need at least a 6 point cage with door bars, window nets, and required bracing plus a fire retarding system. However, if you are sure you will not be racing, a bolt-in 4 point roll bar would be a nice option.
That's an autopower bar. both my dad and I have that in our C5Z's. If your doing HPDE type of stuff I would have a hard time not seriously considering Pfadt's bar If I didn't already have this one installed.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:45 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Always read the technical rules of the orgainzations you wish to run with.

Pick the strictest rules, and go with that set up.

Some of the bolt in bars are for drag racing and will not pass all tech standards.

Good Luck
Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You aren't probably going to feel very well protected with that IO port racing bolt in roll bar because it bolts into the floor board (sandwiched balsa wood) not the frame members. Wolfe and Pfadt both have viable options. In my case I custom built mine due to being a convertible and my height of 6'8".
Old 05-06-2010, 04:21 PM
ccj
Racer

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
You aren't probably going to feel very well protected with that IO port racing bolt in roll bar because it bolts into the floor board (sandwiched balsa wood) not the frame members.
It is not. IOport is taking stock footage of autopower's bars. The bar shown is likely for a Mustang, Camaro or similar. The picture looks almost identical to the bar I had in my 99 Cobra. The Autopower bar in my car is bolted to plates that are welded to the frame.

Contact IOport or Autopower directly for information about orientation and attachment points of a corvette specific bar.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:35 PM
MYRX
Instructor

SCCA Track Time Trials require the 4-point bar as I menetioned. I orginally went to PFADT and after reading the rules, they thought their bar would not meet the requirements. I do not intend to W2W. I do NASA events now, HPDE 3, but High Speed Track TT in the SCCA has more safety requirements. I have found several legal 4-point weld-in bars, but not a legal bolt in. Was hoping someone knew of a company producing one.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:05 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

From my research there are no true bolt-in setups. All require welding a base plate to the frame. Given the car's consruction, I don't think strictly bolt-in is a viable option (vs with a unibody car). With that in mind - given the potential shipping costs - it might be easier/cheaper to have a local shop fab up a simply roll bar, which will also allow you to add camera mounts, seat braces, etc.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:00 PM
MYRX
Instructor

I agree! Just hoping, but I think having a custom bar made is going to be my choice, especially since both SCCA TT and NASA TT are going to be my ultimate goals.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:59 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
From my research there are no true bolt-in setups. All require welding a base plate to the frame. Given the car's consruction, I don't think strictly bolt-in is a viable option (vs with a unibody car). With that in mind - given the potential shipping costs - it might be easier/cheaper to have a local shop fab up a simply roll bar, which will also allow you to add camera mounts, seat braces, etc.
I welded two base plates for the front mounting of my custom set up and then I used allthread studs going through the rear suspension subframe replacing 2 of the 4 mounting bolts of the subframe with said allthread studs.

I had to order the studs through Fastenal, as the strength rating and particular diameter of the bolt was difficult to find at the local hardware store. I believe it is 16mm in diameter.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:00 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ccj
It is not. IOport is taking stock footage of autopower's bars. The bar shown is likely for a Mustang, Camaro or similar. The picture looks almost identical to the bar I had in my 99 Cobra. The Autopower bar in my car is bolted to plates that are welded to the frame.

Contact IOport or Autopower directly for information about orientation and attachment points of a corvette specific bar.
oh. good to know.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:03 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We haven't had any issues running our bar with SCCA. It's a weld in bar, which isn't what you wanted but is a better way of attaching anyways!

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Old 05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That cross bar looks quite low for harness use - or is the picture misleading?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:24 PM
ccj
Racer

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
We haven't had any issues running our bar with SCCA. It's a weld in bar, which isn't what you wanted but is a better way of attaching anyways!

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
I am assuming that bar attaches to the bulkhead beam similar to my Autopower bar?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:28 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

It fits 99 percent of seats. If someone needs something different we do them in house, so changes can be made.

The picture is a bit misleading.....
Randy

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z 4-Point Roll Bar

Old 05-07-2010, 12:29 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ccj
I am assuming that bar attaches to the bulkhead beam similar to my Autopower bar?
That is correct.

Randy
Old 05-07-2010, 01:02 PM
MYRX
Instructor

You sparked my interest. How much $, I did not find it listed on www.dougrippie.com. I will call you if you like.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

still safer than harness bars or roll bars that locate shoulder belts too high. I have seen people with shoulder belts angled up 30+ degrees at some DEs. Ugh.

Quick Reply: C5Z 4-Point Roll Bar