Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st impressions of the A6s on the circuit

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Coldmale
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st impressions of the A6s on the circuit

Before I start, let me say that I am aware that A6s are the Autocross tire and Hoosier states that they operate best around 150deg F

For 2 seasons I was using MPSCs, so this was new direction for me.

I did 3 track events on these. 2 events 65km, 1 event 230km and half an event of 25km so thats 385km and add to that 175km of easy driving to and from the events to give a total life of 560km

Pit temperatures were taken after every session and they were consistenty aroud 185F, so I suspect that under race conditions they were around 200F. Air temps were typically 90F, o track a shade more I suspect.

On the 1st event (65km of twisty circuit) they were 3 secs a lap faster than the Michelins, On the 2nd event (230km of a much faster circuit) they were 2 secs slower, on the 3rd event (the 65km twisty) they had dropped to 2 secs faster than the Michelins and by the 4th event they were shot and pulled the rubber off the carcus after a few laps.

I got about 4 times the use of the Michelins (more than 2,000kms), but the Michelins never got hotter than 170

So I have ordered a set of R6s and I will try again. I can see the A6s as great for finals only and in cool weather.

I will report back on the Rs in 3 weeks time after I do a similar set of events

John
Old 05-08-2010, 03:54 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've run Hoosier R's and GY slicks, never MPSC's though. I'm guessing they cost more when you consider how many deals you can find on this forum for the GY and Hoosier slicks. I think I've paid $500 for a set of unused GY slicks before, give or take.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:36 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldmale
Before I start, let me say that I am aware that A6s are the Autocross tire and Hoosier states that they operate best around 150deg F

For 2 seasons I was using MPSCs, so this was new direction for me.

I did 3 track events on these. 2 events 65km, 1 event 230km and half an event of 25km so thats 385km and add to that 175km of easy driving to and from the events to give a total life of 560km

Pit temperatures were taken after every session and they were consistenty aroud 185F, so I suspect that under race conditions they were around 200F. Air temps were typically 90F, o track a shade more I suspect.

On the 1st event (65km of twisty circuit) they were 3 secs a lap faster than the Michelins, On the 2nd event (230km of a much faster circuit) they were 2 secs slower, on the 3rd event (the 65km twisty) they had dropped to 2 secs faster than the Michelins and by the 4th event they were shot and pulled the rubber off the carcus after a few laps.

I got about 4 times the use of the Michelins (more than 2,000kms), but the Michelins never got hotter than 170

So I have ordered a set of R6s and I will try again. I can see the A6s as great for finals only and in cool weather.

I will report back on the Rs in 3 weeks time after I do a similar set of events

John
yup! i had about the same experience
Old 05-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

It is an incorrect urban myth that Hoosier A tires don't operate well at 200 degrees. They will work better than R tires under all conditions. Used A tires are faster than new R tires. They don't last as long, but R tires start out bad by comparison and then heat cycle out even faster and worse than A tires.

I can't stand R tires by the third heat cycle, not that I like them much new. I would rather run A's down to where the grooves are almost gone than a three heat cycle R.

Hoosier A's work as good as any other tire I have raced on even when the it is a 100 degree day.

Oli
Old 05-08-2010, 10:10 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
It is an incorrect urban myth that Hoosier A tires don't operate well at 200 degrees. They will work better than R tires under all conditions. Used A tires are faster than new R tires. They don't last as long, but R tires start out bad by comparison and then heat cycle out even faster and worse than A tires.

I can't stand R tires by the third heat cycle, not that I like them much new. I would rather run A's down to where the grooves are almost gone than a three heat cycle R.

Hoosier A's work as good as any other tire I have raced on even when the it is a 100 degree day.

i
until the 10th lap
Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rustyguns
until the 10th lap
Not true. They last every bit as good as the Rs. You can over-drive both like any tire. The A is just as resilient as the R. I am disappointed with the R. It is not anywhere near the versatile tire the A is unless you call rock hard useless after the third cycle a good attribute.

The A has two distinct advantages:
  1. It is faster right out of the gate at the beginning of the race
  2. It is faster from the beginning all the way to the end, even 40 minutes into the race

Oli

Last edited by Olitho; 05-08-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Not true. They last every bit as good as the Rs. You can over-drive both like any tire. The A is just as resilient as the R. I am disappointed with the R. It is not anywhere near the versatile tire the A is unless you call rock hard useless after the third cycle a good attribute.

2. It is faster from the beginning all the way to the end, even 40 minutes into the race

Oli
Old 05-08-2010, 11:22 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Being a veteran of single-tire series' and from a generation where Hoosier's autocross tire really would not survive track duty, I find this discussion interesting.

Do the R's not have ANY advantages.........ie longer life, more consistency (be it slower?). If they are so bad, why don't they just stop making them??

I've been running 4 year old used GAC tires and put them to good use, but hopefully I'll try a set of fresh tires again one of these days!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Being a veteran of single-tire series' and from a generation where Hoosier's autocross tire really would not survive track duty, I find this discussion interesting.

Do the R's not have ANY advantages.........ie longer life, more consistency (be it slower?). If they are so bad, why don't they just stop making them??

I've been running 4 year old used GAC tires and put them to good use, but hopefully I'll try a set of fresh tires again one of these days!
I can only assume they will last a long-ish race.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

The R can disappear and I would never miss it. I am not sure what it is useful for except if you want to use it for twice as many track days as an A. Physically the carcass will last twice as long, but its useful life is a mediocre performance in three heat cycles.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
I can only assume they will last a long-ish race.
PS. I can only hope that Bimota Guy makes a mistake on his next tire order and shows up on R's. Then maybe I will have a chance.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Coldmale
Racer

Looks like I am/will be the test case then as I am going to do both A's and R's back to back. Although as the air temps increase the R's may be at a slight disadvantage.

My 65km events consist of the following:-
2.55km lap
12 laps practice followed by 12 laps practice followed by 2 x 2lap time trial.
Start pressures 33/33 and hot 41/41

My 230 km session is a track day:-
5.1km lap
9 laps x 5 times = 45 laps
Start 30/30 finish again at 41/41

All my corvette competition is using R's so I thought I would have an advantage with the A's. We'll see

It appears for the 5.1km fast track (more straights and sweepers) that the MPSCs are the best bet and they last considerably longer although cost about twice as much

John
Old 05-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

5.1km lap

All my corvette competition is using R's so I thought I would have an advantage with the A's. We'll see

John
From my limited experience MPSC heat cycle quickly, too.

You will have a lap time advantage of a second per mile of track I predict.

Don't go by the Hoosier tire pressures. In my opinion they are all too high in their recommendations. I am trying higher pressures after talking with Hoosier at my last race, but I am not sold on it.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oli
although, I was fine with the R's. In my experience, the overall useful life of the tire is the same (for me) and the A's are faster. The main added "feature" of the A's is they are available the first turn on the start. I also noticed no difference at the end of the race either. If it is hot out, both will get a little slick.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:24 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Looks like I am/will be the test case then as I am going to do both A's and R's back to back. Although as the air temps increase the R's may be at a slight disadvantage.

My 65km events consist of the following:-
2.55km lap
12 laps practice followed by 12 laps practice followed by 2 x 2lap time trial.

5.1km lap

It appears for the 5.1km fast track (more straights and sweepers) that the MPSCs are the best bet and they last considerably longer although cost about twice as much

John
John, why don't you try either Goodyear or Hoosier SLICKS? Does your sanctioning organization require Dot R tires? I would call both Hoosier and Goodyear and discuss specifics of your track and temperatures needs and go witht their recommendations. Race tires are made for EACH track, let alone time zone and temperature. Work the phones, the reps will help you find hat you need.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

John
Don't go by the Hoosier tire pressures. In my opinion they are all too high in their recommendations.

41 hot is way too high. I start with 23 cold. You have to go hard the first lap and get them up to temp which takes a quick hand but it's well worth it. Give it a try.

Mike
Old 05-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
John, why don't you try either Goodyear or Hoosier SLICKS? Does your sanctioning organization require Dot R tires? I would call both Hoosier and Goodyear and discuss specifics of your track and temperatures needs and go witht their recommendations. Race tires are made for EACH track, let alone time zone and temperature. Work the phones, the reps will help you find hat you need.
Slicks would offer more grip but I think you'd be wasting a good portion of the tire without an alignment to maximize their benefit. Throwing on slicks requires more camber and the stock cam bolts don't offer it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st impressions of the A6s on the circuit

Old 05-09-2010, 11:47 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Slicks would offer more grip but I think you'd be wasting a good portion of the tire without an alignment to maximize their benefit. Throwing on slicks requires more camber and the stock cam bolts don't offer it.
This is absolutely 100% true. It didn't bother me at the time, because I just chalked it up to "you gotta pay to play". Now the more I look at the corded tires in my garage, the more I think "look at how much rubber is still useable on those tires" and it makes me sick.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Coldmale
Racer

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
Now the more I look at the corded tires in my garage, the more I think "look at how much rubber is still useable on those tires" and it makes me sick.
Too true

The tires as a whole are not shot, but the inside on the fronts is. I run -3deg at the front with 4min total toe out. On the MPSCs i used 2.5deg and 4min and they also ripped the rubber on the inside front edges. The rest of the tire is only half worn

The rears are evenly worn to about 50% but they dont have the grip they did on that first outing.

Slicks are permitted but I dont really want to go that far just yet.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:57 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Too true

The tires as a whole are not shot, but the inside on the fronts is. I run -3deg at the front with 4min total toe out. On the MPSCs i used 2.5deg and 4min and they also ripped the rubber on the inside front edges. The rest of the tire is only half worn

The rears are evenly worn to about 50% but they dont have the grip they did on that first outing.

Slicks are permitted but I dont really want to go that far just yet.
My case was not enough camber (1.75* on driver front) and mine corded repeatedly on the driver front outside of the tire. My toe of 3/8" didn't help either.

I've since corrected the toe, and I just rotate my tires much more often now, but I'll probably add more camber before my next event.

Quick Reply: 1st impressions of the A6s on the circuit