Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the pos. trac diff in our stock c5's/c6's.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:11 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Question about the pos. trac diff in our stock c5's/c6's.

I'm finally watching the ALMS in Sebring that I recorded a while back, and I just watched the #17 Porsche lose a rear tire. He ended up doing it twice so far that I've seen. That's probably a frustrating day at the races, especially considering that he was running in the top 2.

Anyway, both times that he lost tires in the rear, rr to be exact, he drove miles around the track to get back to the pits. Is the positive traction differential in our vettes strong enough to move our ~3100 lb vettes around a race track and back to the pits with just one tire on the rear? The diff in my old '68 mustang certainly wasn't. It may have been a tad wore out though. I dunno. Vette rear: +10k'ish miles, Stang rear: +200k'ish miles.

Does anyone know? Guesses are acceptable as well.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:21 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
I'm finally watching the ALMS in Sebring that I recorded a while back, and I just watched the #17 Porsche lose a rear tire. He ended up doing it twice so far that I've seen. That's probably a frustrating day at the races, especially considering that he was running in the top 2.

Anyway, both times that he lost tires in the rear, rr to be exact, he drove miles around the track to get back to the pits. Is the positive traction differential in our vettes strong enough to move our ~3100 lb vettes around a race track and back to the pits with just one tire on the rear? The diff in my old '68 mustang certainly wasn't. It may have been a tad wore out though. I dunno. Vette rear: +10k'ish miles, Stang rear: +200k'ish miles.

Does anyone know? Guesses are acceptable as well.
Our stock diff won't supply that kind of torque to move the car like that.
usually when you see this happening it's a different type of differential.
A Quaffe Diff in our vettes will definatly do that with no problem.
It's one real nice peice of equipment as it supplys the power to the wheel with the least traction. and has a forever warrantee
Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Our stock diff won't supply that kind of torque to move the car like that.
usually when you see this happening it's a different type of differential.
A Quaffe Diff in our vettes will definatly do that with no problem.
It's one real nice peice of equipment as it supplys the power to the wheel with the least traction. and has a forever warrantee
Louis says that the Quaife differential makes Lou's LGM Corvette push, so, although it's a great diff, you might want to consider how it changes the way your car drives.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks for the answer.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about the pos. trac diff in our stock c5's/c6's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about the pos. trac diff in our stock c5's/c6's.