Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHeel for HPDE Z51 2008 track once a month at leat

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:30 AM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default WHeel for HPDE Z51 2008 track once a month at leat

I have been tracking on HPDE monthly or more for the last 6 months.. ready to start considering r compounds...
I have Iforged 18x 9.5or 10's in front and 19 x 11 in the rear w/ Yoko's advantage for now.. 255/35 R18 front and 305x 30 in the rear

would like to get a set of wheels for a 4 wheel tire change for the track.

should i stay w/ 18 and 19s?
should i get a scratched set of Z06 wheels?
should i get a road rashed set of stock c6's or do i have brake issues w/ stock C6 wheels?
what about the things i don't even know to ask?

these are weighty decissions and don't want to make too many mistakes.

I like the "what i have learned at the track" feed, and want to learn more.

I chased a few z06's around the harris hill course in san marcos, tx last weekend and was jelous of the cornering grip.

I am going to Cresson this weekend for another weekend ( wife is wonderful.. did tell yall that)..

I know everyone has opinions but would love the dialog.

so its wheels and tires..
read the TSP threads and will likely get seperate TSP and a programmer so i can change them at the track..
Old 05-13-2010, 12:58 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My first time on track, I went with repro z06 'motorsport' wheels and brand new Hoosier slicks. $16-1700 total.

If I were doing it all over, I would have bought OEM z06 wheels, or ccw classics (17's all the way around and use the same tire front and back), with used tires from this forum, and another set of spare tires, also used from this forum.

The best thing to do is really probably get a 4 square set up, so you can really utilize your tires and have a spare for any corner. The 17&18" combos really complicate things.

As it stands now, I have 2 sets of stock wagon wheels (one set ruined from Hawk pads), 2 sets of z06 wheels (one set is repro, junk, and I will probably clean up and sell for dirt cheap), and one set of square ccw classics, and tons of used tires. I don't buy many new tires anymore. I'm not going 10/10ths, so I take advantage of the folks who sell their race scrubs and whatnot.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:59 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

p.s. wth is a tsp programmer? Do you mean a magnet? lol.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:10 AM
rag1998
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please dont get the repros.

I saw C6 with Z06 repro wheels go plowing through the track, mud & water, when a repro wheel gave off, all the lug nuts & the center of the wheel where still attached to the studs & the hub but the remaining wheel just tore offf through a high speed turn, I wish I had a picture of the cracked wheel.

The poor guy did order some CCW wheels but he wasnt able to get them on time for the event. Luckily not much visual damage was done to the car, but there could be some suspension damage as the rotor went plowing through the track & mud. This event occurred at the Drivers Edge event @ Houston MotorSports Ranch last month.

As soon as I came back from the event I ordered CCW wheels & they came in today

Are you going to the Drivers Edge @ Cresson this week. Ohh boy I wish I could make it, it looks I registered late & the group I am running with reached its limit

See you next month in San Marcos.

Last edited by rag1998; 05-13-2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: removed quotes
Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 AM
rag1998
Racer

Hey wait I think I met you @ HMSR last month, I recognize your profile picture, if I remember correctly you & your wife where sharing the same car, black C6 with black wheels, you were running in blue, your wife in green & you were wearing a Flamingo Automotive t-shirt on Sunday.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:31 AM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep that are I.... Was at houston and saw the repro blow apart....
had too much fun at H2R last week.. barely made it to the gas station at the end of the day... did not know the tank held more than 15 gallons of fuel.. i put in 16.5 gallons and drifted back to austin on a post run high.. Life is Better than drugs..

I'm leaving in the morning for Cresson. I registered for June H2R, but may end up in Chicago on a vendors nickle for a 3 day CEU program.. hard call.

You are running 17in or OEM 19/20 Z06 wheels.. i got confused.

I am thinking some scrubed OEM 18/19 stock c6.. but they are not as wide as the Iforged i have on now... or OEM 19/20 Z06 wheels that are wider.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:19 AM
rag1998
Racer

I ran with my stock 08 18/19 Gumby wheels @ HMSR last month.

After the event, ordered 18" CCW wheels all around & they came in yesterday, waiting for my Toyo RA1's now. I wanted to stick with 18's because of tire options. There are a lot of forum members selling 3-4 heat cycled tires for about 400$ including shipping, thats really hard to pass

Have a blast & be safe @ the track, if you get a chance say hi to my instructor Chuck

Old 05-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

depends on if you want to run street tires at the track or r comps. Slicks?

If you are fine with you street tires then one set all teh time is fine. The rims will get dirty and might get some nicks.

If you want r comps or slicks you need a separate set of rims and tires / street become your rain set.

How much do you want to spend on this hobby? you can get crazy quick.

I see you read my thread :-)
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html

Thats why I do it, just trying to pay it forward a bit.

once you hit the advanced run groups the $$ outlay on this hobby gets bad quick. Anything you can do to contain costs and keep your car running well.. keep yourself safe is the way to go.

used rims make great track rims, but they often can have issues. getting s set of stocker rims from a guy who just bought pretty wheels and is trying to recoup costs is a nice way to go. there is always a set of rims for sale out there if you are lookign for them. also check craigslist for local sales.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:35 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
p.s. wth is a tsp programmer? Do you mean a magnet? lol.
Doesn't work for a C6. If you want tire pressure sensors to work you need a real programmer and to use the C6 sensors.

Four 18x10.5 C5 Z06 rear wheels would be an inexpensive way in. You could fit something like 18x10.5 + 18x12 CCW C10s if you wanted to spend a bit more and go for a wider wheel.

I had 18x11+18x11 C140s on my car and had some rub on the front... ended up dropping back to an 18x10 and still had a bit of rub. Turned out the camber plates I had that locked the lower control arm at max track pushed the wheel out too far even with -2deg camber... back to eccentrics and the wheel sucks in nice, wish I'd kept the 11s...

I was running 295/30r18+305/35r18 Toyo R888s on the 11s, and now 275/35r18+305/35r18 with the 10in wide front wheels.

Lots of options out there, it really depends on your budget...
Old 05-14-2010, 12:41 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

BTW, that isn't to say camber plates aren't good, but you may need to ask for some less aggressive ones to fit real wheels and tires on the front of a C6 non-Z...
Old 05-14-2010, 01:26 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Doesn't work for a C6. If you want tire pressure sensors to work you need a real programmer and to use the C6 sensors.

Four 18x10.5 C5 Z06 rear wheels would be an inexpensive way in. You could fit something like 18x10.5 + 18x12 CCW C10s if you wanted to spend a bit more and go for a wider wheel.

I had 18x11+18x11 C140s on my car and had some rub on the front... ended up dropping back to an 18x10 and still had a bit of rub. Turned out the camber plates I had that locked the lower control arm at max track pushed the wheel out too far even with -2deg camber... back to eccentrics and the wheel sucks in nice, wish I'd kept the 11s...

I was running 295/30r18+305/35r18 Toyo R888s on the 11s, and now 275/35r18+305/35r18 with the 10in wide front wheels.

Lots of options out there, it really depends on your budget...
, except for one little thing.

The C5 Z06 rear wheels have about a 53 mm offset. The C6 and C6 Z51 have 56-58 mm offset in front , so the C5 Z06 wheels would be close enough for your front. However, the C6/C6 Z51 rear offset is 79 mm. The C5 Z06 wheels would PROBABLY have rubbing problems on your rear, and they might even have brake clearance issues. So the C5 Z06 wheels will not fit on your rear.

Now agreeing with gkmcready again...

Although it requires a large initial cost, 18x10 and 18x11 CCW C10s are your best option, because you can get the correct offsets, and then you can buy 18" tires. If you get 18" scrubs, you can save a fortune everytime you buy tires, and you'll probably recoup the cost of the CCW wheels in 12 to 18 months. In the long run, the CCW wheels will save you money.

CCW C14s and C140s are also great wheels, but the C10s are lightest and strongest. The C10s are also a little cheaper, because they are more about performance, less about appearance.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 05-14-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:30 PM
rag1998
Racer

Originally Posted by bobmoore2

Now agreeing with gkmcready again...

Although it requires a large initial cost, 18x10 and 18x11 CCW C10s are your best option, because you can get the correct offsets, and then you can buy 18" tires. If you get 18" scrubs, you can save a fortune everytime you buy tires, and you'll probably recoup the cost of the CCW wheels in 12 to 18 months. In the long run, the CCW wheels will save you money.

CCW C14s and C140s are also great wheels, but the C10s are lightest and strongest. The C10s are also a little cheaper, because they are more about performance, less about appearance.
Thanks to all the input on the forums, for that very reason of scrub tires I got 18" CCW's.

I did get C140's in Black
Old 05-14-2010, 02:21 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
The C5 Z06 rear wheels have about a 53 mm offset. The C6 and C6 Z51 have 56-58 mm offset in front , so the C5 Z06 wheels would be close enough for your front. However, the C6/C6 Z51 rear offset is 79 mm. The C5 Z06 wheels would PROBABLY have rubbing problems on your rear, and they might even have brake clearance issues. So the C5 Z06 wheels will not fit on your rear.
So, I agree with you, but there are *many* C6s and C6Zs running around on C5Z rear wheels at all four corners. I couldn't convince myself it would work which sent me to CCW but I have been watching what everybody is doing and I'm just seeing too many folks running them to say "they don't work" these days.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 AM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow for everyone haveing their own opinion y'all each are well versed and full of valuable facts that WILL guide me.

Zenak... ur thread is the best and mandatory for all of us.. I have saved buckets keeping your thread on my desktop.

Everyone else.. valuable.. forgot the whole offset stuff.. I am at Cresson MSR this weekend and IT'S DRY>>>>>>Hurray!... Rain will skirt the track today... I am so glad i sacrified that drink to the track gods last night..

Just kidding ... sober 5 plus yrs...

Time to go play.

C u at the track.

BTW for Austin members.. the crew at Champion chevy have bent over backwards to support my habit... the new management loves that I wash the car and park it on their lot often.. I have my pharmacy 4 blocks away and enjoy the walk.
They like the advertising..

Win/Win.

tomtom

Get notified of new replies

To WHeel for HPDE Z51 2008 track once a month at leat

Quick Reply: WHeel for HPDE Z51 2008 track once a month at leat