Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque tube?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default torque tube?

I purchsed a C5 12mm bolt torque tube that came up for sale locally so that someday I can upgrade mine. Does anyone know how to check these things to make sure they are straight? All I care about is the tube and not the guts, but the throwout bearing flange is boken around the center from the backside so I was able to pull out the sleeve part by hand and the input shaft looks just barely tweaked. I have not pulled it apart further so I don't know what it looks like inside. The bearings seem to be in good shape. The torque tube itself looks to be in great condition, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on a carbon shaft and new guts only to find out its bent.
thanks,
-V
Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Does anyone know if I can purchase just the input shaft new? I am not sure, but I'm assuming my current one will not work with the later model tube.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:32 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

they list the parts individually, but who knows if they are actually available.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pieces are available individually although the prices are higher for C5's than C6's for some stupid reason...

If the shaft is straight, put two aluminum couplers in it and let it eat, you'll have no problems ( as long as its straight with minimal runout on the entire assy )
Old 05-21-2010, 12:54 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. This thing will sit for probably a long time as I have no need to replace the one in my car. I just want to make sure it is usable so I don't install it later on and have problems. The throwout bearing is completely trashed (bearing gone and flange completely broken) so that is what raised my concern. Everything else looks great. My original is plenty strong for my power levels and I know for a fact it is straight, but I figure this one was available and a good deal so I got it.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:43 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

They don't last forever, planning ahead is a good thing. Aluminum donuts never helped in my experience
Old 05-21-2010, 03:07 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 70k miles and about 14 track days, this is what my stock 00 C5 tube looked like:

It blew up on track at TWS blowing a hole in the housing and making an awful racket. I dont have that much more power then stock and didn't really run on sticky tires before it blew. Those rubber bushings were originally made for BMW to use on their half shafts and turn at wheel rpm whereas ours turn at engine rpm. BMW guys call em "guibos" and if you ever need to replace them, they are cheaper at the BMW dealership.

Get notified of new replies

To torque tube?

Quick Reply: torque tube?