Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front & rear glass removal for roll cage??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front & rear glass removal for roll cage??

Hey Guys--

Can someone in the know tell me if front and rear glass removal is necessary for installation of a roll cage in a C5 FRC/Z06? I prepped/stripped my car to the installer's instructions, and he never mentioned anything about the front/rear glass. Now he's saying it's gotta come out, and I am less than thrilled to be hearing this after the job has already started. So, can someone tell me whether or not this is necessary?

Thx,
Fred
Old 05-19-2010, 07:03 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fhturner
Hey Guys--

Can someone in the know tell me if front and rear glass removal is necessary for installation of a roll cage in a C5 FRC/Z06? I prepped/stripped my car to the installer's instructions, and he never mentioned anything about the front/rear glass. Now he's saying it's gotta come out, and I am less than thrilled to be hearing this after the job has already started. So, can someone tell me whether or not this is necessary?

Thx,
Fred
Front, definately. You might get away with keeping the rear. Best to get a good local glass guy to remove and install. It's not that expensive and well worth having a pro do it.

(Don't ask how I know...)

Old 05-19-2010, 07:12 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

not necessarily, but if you trust your guy to do the cage, then I'd trust is need for access. btw, they will almost certainly brake the glass in the process.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Also depends a bit on the cage. I'd ask the company you bought it from.

Or post on the specific cage brand for other owners for installation advice :-)

Never reinvent the wheel!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:19 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I assumed they were BUILDING the cage....... If it's pre-built, I would assume the glass can remain.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:42 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

My cage builder just installed the front portion of my custom fab cage and did not remove the windshield. He did pull out the fuel tanks to correctly weld the main hoop to the frame though.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:21 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
not necessarily, but if you trust your guy to do the cage, then I'd trust is need for access. btw, they will almost certainly brake the glass in the process.
Exactly the damned reason I don't want the glass removed! Grrrrrr....

And yes, this cage is being custom-built, not pre-built. I feel like this builder (who has done other C5s) ought to have mentioned glass removal previously, or find a way to adjust things *slightly* so that glass removal isn't necessary...not just spring it on me in the middle of the project.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:03 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Front and back both came out of mine-glass pro did the R&R no breakage and you can't tell they have ever been out. You should be fine
Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm not sure why you'd remove the rear glass unless you are thinking about putting in lexan. If the cage builder wants access just pull the hardtop. It takes a little time and patience but I took a small reciprocating saw and ground the blade down so it was more knifelike and used a lot of silicone spray. I also used a floor jack and a 4x4 to help push it out. Like I said it takes some time but that way he doesn't have to work around the top.
The windshield is also removed with the saw (I used a sawzall with a knifelike blade and silicone spray).

Joel

Get notified of new replies

To Front & rear glass removal for roll cage??

Quick Reply: Front & rear glass removal for roll cage??