Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question/Pls. Confirm

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:16 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question/Pls. Confirm

In ALMS & only in ALMS; Is it true that this is the very first time that Porsche & Corvette race against each (meaning being in the same class)?

BTW, what's going on with C6r? 3 races over & still no wins against essentially several good privateer teams. In the beginning of the season, they were favorite to dominate (being the only manufacturer team) & yet here we are & still no wins.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 PM
FOXMO
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '09

I could be wrong about this, but I think that Corvette is new to this class. With that, they have a big learning curve. In the last race, one Vette took out the other in the pits...bad mistake.

LET'S GO FLYERS!!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

LG ran a Riley-built Corvette in GT2 2 years ago against Porsches. Porsche never ran in the current GT1 class that I can remember, so I would say LG's Vette was the first Vette vs Porsche competition in Modern ALMS Competition.

The Porsches are Factory built, and factory backed efforts. The cars are updated regulary, and Porsche has deep ties with ALMS. I do not consider the Porsche RSR's "privateer" teams, even though they may not be full factory teams.

And finally, GM has more car than the need, but have made some mistakes. Didn't the new GT2 Vette win at Mosport last year????

Last edited by davidfarmer; 05-24-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 AM
1stZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
LG ran a Riley-built Corvette in GT2 2 years ago against Porsches. Porsche never ran in the current GT1 class that I can remember, so I would say LG's Vette was the first Vette vs Porsche competition in Modern ALMS Competition.

The Porsches are Factory built, and factory backed efforts. The cars are updated regulary, and Porsche has deep ties with ALMS. I do not consider the Porsche RSR's "privateer" teams, even though they may not be full factory teams.

And finally, GM has more car than the need, but have made some mistakes. Didn't the new GT2 Vette win at Mosport last year????
I knew of LG 2 yrs ago. The LG I consider a privateer team but weren't competetive cuz it was their 1sf yr. & didn't really get a chance to learn their ways cuz of what GM decided to do. They (GM) weren't really what I would call supportive which I don't understand at all. Giving some support to LG would have been an inexpensive R&D for GM. Racing is expensive as it is. Plus, it's not like GM is doing great financially. Similar to what Porsche does. Porsche Has backed Alex Job teams, then it was Petersen White Lightning & now the Lizards. Yes Porsche backs a team but don't pay for the whole tab. According to my friends who's in the Porsche circle, all Porsche teams pretty much gets the same/nothing & all that they get is the ability to order "trick/race" parts directly from Porsche but those privateer team still had to buy the cars from Porsche pay for everything/all parts. The only way to tell which team Porsche backs in a particular year is by following where the Porsche "drivers" are. This year as mentioned above is the lizard. In addition, if you were to look at there entry form, it will say lizards unlike this current corvette team, I believe their entry form actually says Corvette entry. Yes, corvette won at mosport but that car was running a 6 liter rather than the 5.5L they were suppose to run. Also, the Ferrari's & Porsche was running on their old motor not the current one they have now. ALMS allowed them to run so they could get a head start on their development. So I would not look at the corvette team as a 1st year team. Especially since they came from the GT1 class.

So it seems that in the ALMS history (not counting the LG team), this is the 1st year corvette has run against Porsche. At any rate, do you actually look at or see this corvette team as a first year team?

Last edited by 1stZ; 05-25-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:22 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Considering that Porsche/Ferrari cars are developed by factory tuners, ready to roll...vettes are more like a first year team.
They have data from their GT1 cars, but I doubt it is too usable give the GT2 class rules.
A typical first year team is using a highly developed car to start with (from Michelotto or Stutgart), corvettes are in the process of doing their development. So, a little earlier on the learning curve for sure, but lots of talent and $ to speed things up. I would assume that racing is where most of the quality development occurs, so in that sense the vettes are still catching up with the platforms. Plus there is a lot of data to pull from the other cars (maybe 20 top tier Porsche teams around the world, 10+ Ferrari?).
Old 05-25-2010, 11:38 AM
1stZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Considering that Porsche/Ferrari cars are developed by factory tuners, ready to roll...vettes are more like a first year team.
They have data from their GT1 cars, but I doubt it is too usable give the GT2 class rules.
A typical first year team is using a highly developed car to start with (from Michelotto or Stutgart), corvettes are in the process of doing their development. So, a little earlier on the learning curve for sure, but lots of talent and $ to speed things up. I would assume that racing is where most of the quality development occurs, so in that sense the vettes are still catching up with the platforms. Plus there is a lot of data to pull from the other cars (maybe 20 top tier Porsche teams around the world, 10+ Ferrari?).
OK agreed. So we're in a assumption or giving consideration to the '10 corvette team as a first yr team. So we're giving them a little slack I guess for not winning immediately. I guess my expectation was too high. I do wish they would win a race soon. After last year's last race @ laguna plus all the talk from doug fehan & finally being the favorite in the paddock to "dominate", I'm very surprise to say the least that they've yet to win a race. I'm getting beat on like drum by my Porsche buddies everytime we get together (all just in fun of course). At any rate, hope they do well at le mans!

Get notified of new replies

To Question/Pls. Confirm

Quick Reply: Question/Pls. Confirm