Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling really smart guys like GeeRookie

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:00 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Calling really smart guys like GeeRookie

Hey do you guys know about $6 aka "mode6"? Mode 6 is a hexadecimal code that is manufacturer specific that tests obd2 feedback for drive cycles used prior to emission testing. The bottom line is that with an obd2 scanner that can be put into the $6 mode you can report failure codes that do not show up as check engine light codes. Why is this important at all? Well lets say you gotta weird idle or something at the track. Right now most of use hunt around for loose vacuum hoses and just look and pray that we find the problem. Fast forward to $6 and you could plug your scanner in and "instantly" find the problem because $6 gives you more system detail and is finer than waiting for a check engine light code to appear. I guess if the feds are going to make us have obd2 we may as well get our money's worth out of it.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 AM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think it would be easier to set all relevant codes to first fail CEL trip in your tuning software. If I understand what you are asking correctly. This will give you a CEL immediately and the ability to check for the DTC through the DIC or with a scan tool.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:11 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE C
I would think it would be easier to set all relevant codes to first fail CEL trip in your tuning software. If I understand what you are asking correctly. This will give you a CEL immediately and the ability to check for the DTC through the DIC or with a scan tool.
I did not know you could set the sensitivity of the CEL fail with tuner software like perhaps HPTuners. But still I don't think that is as fine as obd2 can give. You could for example have a slow 02 sensor that can be picked up in $6 that will not trigger a standard Pxxxx code because $6 will interpret between a failed dead sensor for example and a slow to respond sensor. So if we are hunting for drivability ghosts for example the $6 will give more diagnostic resolution if I understand $6 correctly.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

We have been using Mode 6 for a while in my automotive repair business. It really comes in handy on Fords especially-mainly for missfire diagnostics. The missfires are very relaxed on most fords and it takes for ever to set a code. By using Mode 6 we can look at the individual cylinders missfires. It will show us the amount of missfires that have occured on each cylinder. It also shows us how many missfires will have to occur before it will actually set a code.
This way we can find that missing cylinder faster and easier with out having to wait on a trouble code.
As you mentioned it will also show other areas that are failing but have yet to set a code.
We mainly use a Mastertech scanner for mode 6 interpretation, other scanners are also capable of this.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:25 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

good question, I know that HPTuners will read a ton of codes - seemingly everything the ECM will spit out (IME). You should email them directly - great support and they will answer your question within a day.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Your aftermarket OEM software like EASE/Tech2 have modules that will read all the codes in your car computers. You can modulate everything from OEM operating systems to bleeding the ABS to finding problems with power windows, etc. While most of us think in terms of TCM and PCM systems the manufactures put in as many as 16 systems.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I did not know you could set the sensitivity of the CEL fail with tuner software like perhaps HPTuners. But still I don't think that is as fine as obd2 can give. You could for example have a slow 02 sensor that can be picked up in $6 that will not trigger a standard Pxxxx code because $6 will interpret between a failed dead sensor for example and a slow to respond sensor. So if we are hunting for drivability ghosts for example the $6 will give more diagnostic resolution if I understand $6 correctly.
All of this can be read with the HP Tuners Scanner. You can also data log it real time if wanted. To bad you aren't close to the right coast we could get together and I would show you. Give me a call tomorrow.
I PM'd my number.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

EFIlive does the same.

Get notified of new replies

To Calling really smart guys like GeeRookie

Quick Reply: Calling really smart guys like GeeRookie