Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

use for C5 chassis

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:01 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default use for C5 chassis

I totalled my 1999 Corvette coupe about a month ago during an open road race. Left rear tire went down doing about 130 mph - tread seperated - and we ended up going off the road through a barbed wire fence and into the mesquite.

Every body panel and the windshield are screwed. The body shop guy looked at it and said "the only thing left that's good is this (pointing at the back window)". The insurance company reluctantly covered it but weren't real happy since I had gutted the interior and had a full cage installed in February this year.

I bought the car back from the insurance company and am in the process of moving all the drivetrain, suspension, etc into another C5.

I'm keeping the new car's engine, trans, and diff for spares.

I have a C5 body with cage installed and trying to decide what to do with it. I don't think there was any structural damage.

I've thought about putting a race body on it someday but I know I'll never get around to doing it. I could sell some of the remaining parts off it - namely the headlights, taillights, side windows.

Do you guys think there is a market for the chassis?
If so, where to start.

Don't have any good pictures right now.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:24 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a C5Z that was a T1 car I went nuts on modifying, C6 World Challenge body(for sale now and new cage, etc.....then decided I did not want to race a $125k car and maintain it.

Now the chassis is getting stretched and we bought a 53 Studebaker Starliner body for it, going to be pro tour built, licensed, touring, cruising, drag it once or twice, some HPDE and maybe TT then open road events and my wife and I plan to eventually take it to 200 at Bonneville, really

Just a thought of what you can do with the chassis, build something truly unique

(we looked at early Vette bodies, Camaro, kit car bodies as well before deciding on the Studevette project and no time line, this might take a few years but we are fine with that)

Good luck on the sale if you do so.

Rick
Old 05-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Put a C3 body on it.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:04 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by SS Racing
I totalled my 1999 Corvette coupe about a month ago during an open road race. Left rear tire went down doing about 130 mph - tread seperated - and we ended up going off the road through a barbed wire fence and into the mesquite.

Every body panel and the windshield are screwed. The body shop guy looked at it and said "the only thing left that's good is this (pointing at the back window)". The insurance company reluctantly covered it but weren't real happy since I had gutted the interior and had a full cage installed in February this year.

I bought the car back from the insurance company and am in the process of moving all the drivetrain, suspension, etc into another C5.

I'm keeping the new car's engine, trans, and diff for spares.

I have a C5 body with cage installed and trying to decide what to do with it. I don't think there was any structural damage.

I've thought about putting a race body on it someday but I know I'll never get around to doing it. I could sell some of the remaining parts off it - namely the headlights, taillights, side windows.

Do you guys think there is a market for the chassis?
If so, where to start.

Don't have any good pictures right now.
If the frame is straight there are a bunch of drag racers, etc ... that will probably buy it for about $1.5 - $2K. I just recently parted out one of my project cars and sold the frame for $2K.

Get notified of new replies

To use for C5 chassis

Quick Reply: use for C5 chassis