Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Height, Alignment, Corner Weight?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ride Height, Alignment, Corner Weight?

Is this the correct order? Ride Height, Alignment, then Corner Weight?

It seems like adjusting corner weight last, would change alignment settings.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:45 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Corner weighting (or cross weighting would change your alignment settings.

The correct order would be ride height, cross-weight, (I typically adjust the sway bar end links at this time as well), and alignment.

More often than not you are adjusting the cross-weight on these cars, unless you are physically moving weight around in the car to get the corner weights to come out. Not trying to be picky, just saying the differance between the two.

Joel
Old 05-26-2010, 10:21 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to David Farmer. He can set your car up however you want and at a very reasonable price.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:56 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I do alignment last
Old 05-26-2010, 11:01 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

This is the order in which a renowned shop set up my C6. It didn't make sense to me.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:54 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by z060ntrack
It didn't make sense to me.
Why not? You must set a base ride height; then get the corners right and then align it. You align it last because any change you make to the ride height alters the alignment (slightly or otherwise).
Old 05-26-2010, 01:11 PM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Why not? You must set a base ride height; then get the corners right and then align it. You align it last because any change you make to the ride height alters the alignment (slightly or otherwise).
It didn't make sense that they did the corner weight last, which is what they did.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:22 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Generally, I corner balance last. You have to decide which is the more aggressive of the changes you are making. Usually if I'm taking a car from stock to a racing alignment, then the movement caused by the concentrics is more severe than the slight spring adjustments. However, occasionally I'll find that I have to make a BIG weight adjustment change, then I'll go back and tweak the alignment.

If you KNOW your ride height/corner balance is totally screwed up (like you dissasembled your coil overs and have no clue how they go), then I would do the balance first.

Back to my original statement though, in general, I lower the car (symmetrically), align camber and castor, then corner balance. I set the toe at the very end, since on a C5/C6, changing the toe has no effect on any other adjustment.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:25 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

sorry, just let me reiterate. I've only seen a very few cars that needed enough "wedge" adjustment that it made an appreciable change in ride height/alignment. You are usually just redistributing the load, not moving anything enough to actually change the ride height.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:33 PM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Thanks Dave,

Following your method, I'll probably check / adjust toe only, and I need to adjust the tie rod to straighten the damn steering wheel, which won't affect anything.

I'll have the car on a 4 post platform lift in a couple of days and was just trying to put together a game plan without changing the corner weights. First and foremost, I want to make sure there isn't any pre load on the bars and then stiffen the rear bar.

Thanks Again
Old 05-27-2010, 11:08 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I did a car a few years ago that had 300LBS of wedge in it, some was bar pre-load and some was in the springs. Even correcting that mess made next to zero change in the alignment. Back to the bottom line, the order isn't usually important, but do the (expected) more extreme first.

Get notified of new replies

To Ride Height, Alignment, Corner Weight?

Quick Reply: Ride Height, Alignment, Corner Weight?