Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feed back on 1 piece rotors: Centric premium & Brembo

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:06 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Feed back on 1 piece rotors: Centric premium & Brembo

Hi,

Thinking about getting some more spare front rotors. Going back over old threads, I'd like to get more feed back on how the Centric Premium & Brembo 1 piece non-slotted (plain-Jane) rotors hold up (I run Wilwood H pads--kinda hard on rotors--I get 2-3 days before the cracks look close enough that they might crack through).

Is there any reason to think that the Centric Premimum or Brembo 1 piece would out last the GM Brazilian rotors? I see the Centric is still made in Asia and the 1 feed back here was that they had bad runout ( unacceptable).

Any more feed back guys?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't think there is three corners difference in how long one piece rotors last on the track. ATE, NAPA, Centrix, even Brembo all go away about as fast. (OK, I feel better now)
Old 05-28-2010, 03:27 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Last C5
I don't think there is three corners difference in how long one piece rotors last on the track. ATE, NAPA, Centrix, even Brembo all go away about as fast. (OK, I feel better now)
It would be a no-brainer to use NAPA in that case. However, I've heard a lot of lousy things about them cracking through inside 1 weekend. My GM's won't do that--they last through and if I take a chance I might get day 3 out. It depends on the track--I think I might get 4 out of the GM's at VIR but maybe 2.5 days at Summit Main. But I figure if I miss a session, that cost is double what the day 3 rotor savings.

I read in a searc here that there was bad run out on the ATE--.030"--so bad the shop wouldn't even turn them--new. No issues w/the GM.

I'd go Centric premium if I knew they lasted at least as long as GM--I just don't want to go backwards.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:34 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The old Canadian made NAPA's were a great rotor for the price.

Now they are chinese pot metal like the rest, they all pop fairly frequently. The OEM ones last a bit longer on my car/driving style anyway.

Last edited by drivinhard; 05-28-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
But I figure if I miss a session, that cost is double what the day 3 rotor savings.
GOOD POINT!!! I'm going to start including at least some of that value in my decision to go to some Stoptech DRK two piece rotors. I'm getting tired of wrenching when everybody else is driving.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I've had good luck with the Centric rotors, free shipping from racepages.com
Old 05-28-2010, 04:50 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

GOOD POINT!!! I'm going to start including at least some of that value in my decision to go to some Stoptech DRK two piece rotors. I'm getting tired of wrenching when everybody else is driving.
Yeah--figure for 6 sessions w/event cost $300 that's $50/session. If the rotors cost $100 /pair and you miss day 3--you're out $33 by pitching them.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:14 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a 2 piece rotor available for the C6 Z06. We use Coleman Racing rings and machine the hats ourselves in our cnc machine shop. Our rotors are 100% made in the USA, direct bolt in replacement, directional - correctly vented, slotted only - no holes, and weigh 16 pounds each, that is more then 10 pounds lighter then the stock rotor! The fronts are $385 each and are in stock now. Replacement rings when needed are $196 each. We also have a 2 piece rotor available for the rear with or without the parking brake.

Give us a call if interested or if you have any further questions.

Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
815-254-2631
Old 05-28-2010, 06:31 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I would definatly use Centric premiums, we have 2 piece rotors for the front of the car and run centrics on the rear.
If I used NAPA or Raybestos I would crack a rotor in a weekend, we get 2 to 3 weekends out of Centric rears.
This is on a T1 car that we run with NASA and we are not easy on the brakes. We are running Hawk DTC-70's on the car which are easier on rotors than you Wilwood H's.

Joel
Old 05-28-2010, 09:12 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I cracked centric ones as fast as chinese napas
Old 05-30-2010, 05:10 PM
02impactblue
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get 2 days out of the centrics at Summit, Watkins and 3 days at vir and NJMP on average. I hate losing track time changing rotors and will be going stoptech or brembo very soon! I need to burn off the 3 sets of pads and 6 pairs of rotors first. Also, I did have some issues with a batch of centrics early last year with bad runout. Tried Brembo cheapie 1 piece and cracked them after 5 sessions at summit.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:02 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 02impactblue
I get 2 days out of the centrics at Summit, Watkins and 3 days at vir and NJMP on average. I hate losing track time changing rotors and will be going stoptech or brembo very soon! I need to burn off the 3 sets of pads and 6 pairs of rotors first. Also, I did have some issues with a batch of centrics early last year with bad runout. Tried Brembo cheapie 1 piece and cracked them after 5 sessions at summit.
That's great info! The only info. I've seen on Brembos. I'd be interested to see how long the GM OE rotors lasted for comparison--do you think they're any better?

Have your subsequent batches of Centrics been better or did you stop using them? Did anyone have this problem with Centrics this year?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:58 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
That's great info! The only info. I've seen on Brembos. I'd be interested to see how long the GM OE rotors lasted for comparison--do you think they're any better?

Have your subsequent batches of Centrics been better or did you stop using them? Did anyone have this problem with Centrics this year?

Thanks!
I have uses a couple sets of Centrics. They have been good to me. They look like they are as well made as the GM ones from a casting and machining standpoint. You can get the GM ones from Gene Cully at GMPartshouse.com for a good price. I just takes a while to get them.

Chris
Old 06-01-2010, 05:07 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by autoxer6
I have uses a couple sets of Centrics. They have been good to me. They look like they are as well made as the GM ones from a casting and machining standpoint. You can get the GM ones from Gene Cully at GMPartshouse.com for a good price. I just takes a while to get them.

Chris
Yeah I'm concerned about the time involved to get them from Gene. Thought I'd try something new if it's at least not a known step backwards.

Has anyone cracked through both the Centrics and the GM rotors so can compare? These seem to be the best 2 options for 1 piece rotors...curious if they are on par or if one lasts any longer.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

If anyone needs the Centric rotors, please contact me. We are picking up the StopTech/Centric replacement disc product line. I know a lot about them as well...since I've been selling them for the past 7 or so years!

Also a note on the quality of the Centric Premium discs...they are very good. Nobody here would want their 121.X line of discs for a track car, but their 120.X Premium line is excellent. I've had countless customers over the years running track days on these, on just about everything under the sun (vettes, stangs, evos, STI, Audi's, etc.). I almost never had any returns or problems. They are good quality castings, and they take a nice beating. I run them on all of my personal cars, including my vette.

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 06-03-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-03-2010, 12:58 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Default GM vs Centric premium

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
If anyone needs the Centric rotors, please contact me. We are picking up the StopTech/Centric replacement disc product line. I know a lot about them as well...since I've been selling them for the past 7 or so years!

Also a note on the quality of the Centric Premium discs...they are very good. Nobody here would want their 121.X line of discs for a track car, but their 120.X Premium line is excellent. I've had countless customers over the years running track days on these, on just about everything under the sun (vettes, stangs, evos, STI, Audi's, etc.). I almost never had any returns or problems. They are good quality castings, and they take a nice beating. I run them on all of my personal cars, including my vette.
JRitt,

Are you planning to attend the NCM VIR at the end of June? If so please bring some matching sets with you. I like free shipping.

I'd still like to see a head-to-head comparision of the crack growth time on the Centric Premiums vs the GM's. But I just ordered some Centrics to try out at VIR.

Thanks Everyone!
Old 06-03-2010, 01:32 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

sothpaw,
I am not planning on attending that event. Sorry!

Get notified of new replies

To Feed back on 1 piece rotors: Centric premium & Brembo

Quick Reply: Feed back on 1 piece rotors: Centric premium & Brembo