Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What other parts should be upgraded when changing sway bars (C6)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:34 PM
thisismyusername
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What other parts should be upgraded when changing sway bars (C6)?

A little background... I have a stock 2005 with the F55 suspension. I do HPDE events, but it's not a dedicated track car. This is not a daily driver. I just replaced the OEM tires with Firehawk Wide Ovals (run flats). I want to make some modifications to the suspension to help with the handing when at HPDE road course events.

So I was looking at changing the sway bars to the Z51 sway bars or the Pfadt Street sway bars (leaning towards the Pfadt's). This brings me to some questions:

Are there other parts or components that should be upgraded when you change the sway bars? If you just change the sways and leave everything else the same, will this cause extra wear on the other components and cause them to prematurely fail?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:11 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thisismyusername
A little background... I have a stock 2005 with the F55 suspension. I do HPDE events, but it's not a dedicated track car. This is not a daily driver. I just replaced the OEM tires with Firehawk Wide Ovals (run flats). I want to make some modifications to the suspension to help with the handing when at HPDE road course events.

So I was looking at changing the sway bars to the Z51 sway bars or the Pfadt Street sway bars (leaning towards the Pfadt's). This brings me to some questions:

Are there other parts or components that should be upgraded when you change the sway bars? If you just change the sways and leave everything else the same, will this cause extra wear on the other components and cause them to prematurely fail?

Thanks!
This will not cause anything else to fail prematurely. With those active shocks, I'm not sure how much you'll notice a sway bar upgrade. IMHO, the Pfadt is more bar than you'd need (especially with street tires). Definitely don't mess with the rear, you'll have trouble putting down the power.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:17 PM
thisismyusername
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avizandum
This will not cause anything else to fail prematurely. With those active shocks, I'm not sure how much you'll notice a sway bar upgrade. IMHO, the Pfadt is more bar than you'd need (especially with street tires). Definitely don't mess with the rear, you'll have trouble putting down the power.
Thanks. If I change the shocks and change to the Pfadt sways, will I be able to notice the difference with my street tires? If not, perhaps I'll go with the Z51 sways.

Last edited by thisismyusername; 05-31-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:48 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want better handling you really need to get z06 springs shocks and sways at the same time. I don't know what f55 suspension consists of, but I'm sure one or both of your springs could stand to be upgraded. The difference is very noticeable even with just street tires, especially in the 'esses' of any track.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by avizandum
The Pfadt swaybars may be the best swaybars out there for your vette, but don't let their superior design and features dissuade you from installing them. The Pfadt bars are light and strong through their design and use of materials like 4130 Chromoly steel tube and 7000 series aluminum for the arms, but what can matter most is the rates.

We design our 'Street' bars to be a huge upgrade for any C5 and C6 Corvette. The rates are suited to an upgrade of anything from a base suspension car to a ZR1. We focus on proper balance, giving the proper amount of understeer/oversteer to maximize your cornering and the increase in overall stiffness will translate to improved cornering response which you will feel immediately. One of the great things about a sway bar upgrade is that there is very little impact on ride quality. Because swaybars only act in roll, the effects of the bars are minimal when you are not cornering. It makes a bar upgrade a no-brainer. It is also why you see GM keep upping the ante as it were with swaybar sizes on newer models. Jump ahead of the curve with some Pfadt Race Engineering swaybars.

Feel free to e-mail or call with any questions on our bars!

-Aaron

Get notified of new replies

To What other parts should be upgraded when changing sway bars (C6)?

Quick Reply: What other parts should be upgraded when changing sway bars (C6)?