Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging racers with B&B PRT's...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:49 AM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Default Paging racers with B&B PRT's...

I've been getting warnings lately at sound monitored events that I'm over the decibel limits (my last infraction was at 103) . Haven't had alot of problems with this in the past, but most groups I run with now are really cracking down on excessive noise...

I love the PRT set up and know that this muffler is advertised to give you a mellow sound at cruising speeds and a "sport" note - allowing true straight through exhaust passage under aggressive driving conditions...read LOUD .

What, if anything, are you using to quiet the exhaust noise when driving "aggressively" ?? I know you can purchase cones (costing over $200) to cut down on the noise, but I'm concerned that using these over and over at autocross events will eventually cause back pressure problems...

any suggestions - (besides get a different muffler )
Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ERND IT
I've been getting warnings lately at sound monitored events that I'm over the decibel limits (my last infraction was at 103) . Haven't had alot of problems with this in the past, but most groups I run with now are really cracking down on excessive noise...

I love the PRT set up and know that this muffler is advertised to give you a mellow sound at cruising speeds and a "sport" note - allowing true straight through exhaust passage under aggressive driving conditions...read LOUD .

What, if anything, are you using to quiet the exhaust noise when driving "aggressively" ?? I know you can purchase cones (costing over $200) to cut down on the noise, but I'm concerned that using these over and over at autocross events will eventually cause back pressure problems...

we installed turn downs that clamp on exhaust tips. We turn them away from sound station (e.g., Roebling) or down if it is generic sound data.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:53 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a suggestion...just letting you know that YES Donna, your car is noticeably loud. I didn't need any Db Meter to tell me that...lol. That's why i'm sticking with the OEM Titanium muffler set-up.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:06 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by varkwso
we installed turn downs that clamp on exhaust tips. We turn them away from sound station (e.g., Roebling) or down if it is generic sound data.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by thehammer69
Not a suggestion...just letting you know that YES Donna, your car is noticeably loud. I didn't need any Db Meter to tell me that...lol. That's why i'm sticking with the OEM Titanium muffler set-up.
I actually like the way it sounds ... BUT I don't want to get DQ'd for going over the dB limit with no remedy...I think going back to a Ti Z exhaust is probably what I'm going to have to do...
Old 06-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Before you spend the money to change the exhaust, try the turn downs. ANy muffler shop can make them for you>>>CHEAP!!!!
Now when you go to an event, if you blow sound, slip the turndowns over the tail pipes(I just drilled holes thru the turndown and exhaust tips and ran a sheet metal screw thru both holes to secure) and you should be good to go. You can take them back off after the event!!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by Racer-38
Before you spend the money to change the exhaust, try the turn downs. ANy muffler shop can make them for you>>>CHEAP!!!!
Now when you go to an event, if you blow sound, slip the turndowns over the tail pipes(I just drilled holes thru the turndown and exhaust tips and ran a sheet metal screw thru both holes to secure) and you should be good to go. You can take them back off after the event!!
Thanks, Bob - sounds like it's definitely worth a try... i have a muffler shop nearby... do I just measure the length of the current tailpipe tips to slip them over? how long is enough to do the job?

Last edited by ERND IT; 06-09-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:23 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Thanks, Bob - sounds like it's definitely worth a try... i have a muffler shop nearby... do I just measure the length of the current tailpipe tips to slip them over? how long is enough to do the job?

Most hot rod shops/muffler shops should have mandrel bent 90 degree pieces (14-18 inches long) in 3 to 4 inch sizes (not sure of B&B tip size). Took about 5 minutes and ~$70 for the tips to fit over the T1 car exhaust - they expanded them a bit to slip on outside of the tailpipes. I use exhaust clamps to hold on instead of screws - but both work fine.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by varkwso
most hot rod shops/muffler shops should have mandrel bent 90 degree pieces (14-18 inches long) in 3 to 4 inch sizes (not sure of b&b tip size). Took about 5 minutes and ~$70 for the tips to fit over the t1 car exhaust - they expanded them a bit to slip on outside of the tailpipes. I use exhaust clamps to hold on instead of screws - but both work fine.
awesome! Thank you
Old 06-12-2010, 11:56 PM
airspeed247
Instructor

Are you guys facing the turndowns in towards eachother or down? I know sometimes with turndowns facing down you get a loud echo off the ground but didn't know if that would be effected by the db readers. I am about to run into the same sound issues.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:59 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by airspeed247
Are you guys facing the turndowns in towards eachother or down? I know sometimes with turndowns facing down you get a loud echo off the ground but didn't know if that would be effected by the db readers. I am about to run into the same sound issues.
Ours are turned to the right to out noise away from db meter at Roebling. Not sure if it will make quiet hours at Rd ATL though.

Get notified of new replies

To Paging racers with B&B PRT's...

Quick Reply: Paging racers with B&B PRT's...