Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange cooling behavior

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:39 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange cooling behavior

I had some cooling issues Saturday at Hallett. The car would do fine for 5 or 6 laps and then temps would climb from 220 and go north of 235 fairly quickly. I could back off just a tad and it would drop back down to 220. Not what I was expecting after putting the Dewitts radiator in. Well I pulled the thermostat last night. You don't suppose this could be the culprit?

I'm expecting better results this weekend with a new 'stat installed.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:03 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I've seen that before with new radiators. Sometimes you just have some air in there that needs to be purged. Most of the time, just opening up the reservoir after a run and slowly adding water back in there (while the car is running) will cure the problem. I'd do that before pulling the thermostat.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:09 PM
johninar
Drifting

Chris, are you working somewhere that blocks photobucket? I'm guessing you didn't see the attached photo?

Also, does it matter what brand of 160 thermostat? I have to order one anyway because no locals stock it.
TIA,

John
Old 06-10-2010, 01:15 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by johninar
Chris, are you working somewhere that blocks photobucket? I'm guessing you didn't see the attached photo?

Also, does it matter what brand of 160 thermostat? I have to order one anyway because no locals stock it.
TIA,

John
Yeah, I can't see any photos here.

To be honest, unless you are drag racing, I'm not convinced that a lower temp thermostat really does anything. On track, we're always over 210, so the fact that the thermostat opens up earlier is basically useless. We just run the 190 thermostat in virtually all the cars. At the end of the warm up lap, I'm always over 190.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:37 PM
johninar
Drifting

My local guy insists that the t-stat along with reprogramming the fans helps. I argued that when you are running on the track that won't matter much if any. I do think it may help just driving around town, where the fans are more involved with cooling. Anyway the pic shows the internal seal of the tstat has come apart and it's in the spring.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:59 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I've seen that before with new radiators. Sometimes you just have some air in there that needs to be purged. Most of the time, just opening up the reservoir after a run and slowly adding water back in there (while the car is running) will cure the problem. I'd do that before pulling the thermostat.
I agree, had same issue when I got my cam installed on my C5 with Dewitts, there was air in the system. It would shoot from 170-230, back and forth.

I parked the car,opened up the resivour cap and ran the car for 10-15 minutes to purge the air. It worked and the car ran great ever since.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Sherminator
Racer

Do any of you guys clean out the a/c condenser when chasing down overheating issues? You'd be surprised how many times a packed up condenser will make people run around chasing an overheating problem. I blow them out all the time and get a floor covered in sand and bugs everytime.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 PM
johninar
Drifting

I sure do. Being bottom feeders they collect like a vacuum.
I really got it cleaned out when I pulled the radiator.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar
My local guy insists that the t-stat along with reprogramming the fans helps. I argued that when you are running on the track that won't matter much if any. I do think it may help just driving around town, where the fans are more involved with cooling. Anyway the pic shows the internal seal of the tstat has come apart and it's in the spring.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange cooling behavior

Quick Reply: Strange cooling behavior