Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track wheels running without TPMS pros/cons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:38 PM
rag1998
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track wheels running without TPMS pros/cons?

Hey all,

Finally got around to mounting Toyo R888 tires on CCW wheels, decided not to go with the TPMS sensors as I heard from someone at the track that its OK to run without them. After mounting the wheels on the cars & few miles, saw a message on DIC saying something(cant remember the exact phrase) about the tire system,which I know is related to the missing sensors, got used to ignoring it & driving along.

Drove the car for about 100 street miles now without sensors, didnt notice any problems.

Now my questions:

Is the car trackable without sensors?

Will running without sensors affect any other system (TC, AH, Competitive Mode, ABS)

IS IT SAFE?

Thanks for your input
Old 06-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

If you drive too far without the sensors (25 or 50 miles, can't remember) the car shows XX for each tire pressure. At that point, you cannot turn off Active Handling, nor can you use Competition Mode.

This almost was a disaster for my co-driver this past Spring at the Dixie National Tour event.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

C5 / C6? This is very dependent on the generation. Also is this a C6 or a C6 Z also different answers. Details pweese.

I will say that in a C5 you are fine. the C5 Z06 has none. You can even with a GM tech II turn of the tpms all together.

with a CCW classic i have to say i am happy i have them. Have a seam leak in the 3piece rim once at WG and the TPMS went off on the track alerting me. I went right off the track, drove into town when I realized it was the rim leaking. did a quick dismount and remount over a lunch and only missed 1/2 a run session. if not for the TPS i would not have known this becasue i ahd my pressures stable at that point and wasnt chekcing like a hawk btwn runs
Old 06-11-2010, 03:38 PM
rag1998
Racer

Thanks for inputs,

08 C6 Z51
Old 06-11-2010, 04:10 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

C5 without

C6 with unless you can have a tuner reprogram the TPMS so it no longer works with any wheels, then without
Old 06-11-2010, 04:12 PM
rag1998
Racer

Thanks for the inputs guys, I started searching for used TPMS sensors, hope I find some very soon
Old 06-11-2010, 04:31 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Joe@Phoenix and talk to him about TPMS and the C6...
Old 06-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rag1998
Thanks for the inputs guys, I started searching for used TPMS sensors, hope I find some very soon
I'd love to sell you some sensors for your wheels but I have an 08 C6 Z51 that I run w/o the sensors on the track. All nannies can still be turned off. As stated by a previous poster you need to drive 20 minutes +/- and the system will set the pressures to xx. You would only have to do this once (unless you disconnect the battery). You will also get some DIC messages which you can clear by hitting the reset but. One of these messages will appear every time you start the car, just hit reset and it clears. The low tire pressure symbol will be highlighted continuously. HTH Goodluck.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 PM
rag1998
Racer

Just got back home & took the car for a drive. Soon as it turned on it gave me the "Tire Service Monitor" message, as usual hit reset & it cleared, like Webz pointed out the low pressure symbol was still highligted.

Was able to turn off TC & AH, able to use competitive mode, everything worked just normal, took the car for a quick spin through some high speed turns with Competitive mode enabled, nothing abnormal, though it might not be the same on track..

But just for my peace of mind I am still getting the TPMS Sensors.

Last edited by rag1998; 06-11-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:59 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, from experience running with the sensors... when one fails the car gets really stupid... if mine were a TT/racer versus HPDE I would very much want that programmed out or I would run with no sensors...
Old 06-12-2010, 04:26 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Datawiz
If you drive too far without the sensors (25 or 50 miles, can't remember) the car shows XX for each tire pressure. At that point, you cannot turn off Active Handling, nor can you use Competition Mode.

This almost was a disaster for my co-driver this past Spring at the Dixie National Tour event.
wut? that never happened to me in my '99.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:01 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I had 2 issues with no TPM in my 2006

1. If I disconnected the battery, I had to drive the car for 20 minutes of moving time for the KAM to reset.

2. I always had to start the car twice after that to be able to turn the Nanny's off

Since then, a shear genius of a gadget man has absolutely solved my problem via the Flux Capacitor in the rear of my car.

PM me if you want the full scoop on this.

I have no more issues since putting this device in my car. The car is no the wiser and thinks I have the TPMs installed in the tires.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:50 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
wut? that never happened to me in my '99.
Not in the C5. that is in the C6s

The C5s just hit the reset button.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This question come's up a lot, and quandered it myself when putting together a seperate track tire/wheel package for my C6. Decided to go with sensor's and program tool and never had any problem. The tool also work's on my other car's, so worth the investment.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:08 PM
rag1998
Racer

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
This question come's up a lot, and quandered it myself when putting together a seperate track tire/wheel package for my C6. Decided to go with sensor's and program tool and never had any problem. The tool also work's on my other car's, so worth the investment.
Can you share with you what tool you are using & your opinions on it..
Old 06-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Just had this issue last Saturday. Put on race wheels/tires/sensors but did NOT reset the TPS's. 1st session I was fine. 2nd session got warning messages, idiot light on the dash for tire pressure, & the Active Handling started applying the brakes on the warmup lap at 40 mph. Was embarrassing to say the least as I had to pit in. Tried all the tricks (shut off, disconnect battery cable,etc) & still happened. Lost an entire session trying to cure. Asked someone else & they had the reset tool. Did that & was good to go again. I just ordered one from tire rack for $105. I won't go thru that horror again! Seems you have to drive a bunch of miles until the computer has had enough. Never a problem with the rear DR's when drag racing though, but now I'm equipped for that too!
I have a C6Z06.

Ron
Old 06-17-2010, 12:43 AM
rag1998
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
Just had this issue last Saturday. Put on race wheels/tires/sensors but did NOT reset the TPS's. 1st session I was fine. 2nd session got warning messages, idiot light on the dash for tire pressure, & the Active Handling started applying the brakes on the warmup lap at 40 mph. Was embarrassing to say the least as I had to pit in. Tried all the tricks (shut off, disconnect battery cable,etc) & still happened. Lost an entire session trying to cure. Asked someone else & they had the reset tool. Did that & was good to go again. I just ordered one from tire rack for $105. I won't go thru that horror again! Seems you have to drive a bunch of miles until the computer has had enough. Never a problem with the rear DR's when drag racing though, but now I'm equipped for that too!
I have a C6Z06.

Ron
Thanks for the input much appreciated..Sensors should be here pretty soon, hopefully before the track event..
Old 06-17-2010, 01:03 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zenak
with a CCW classic i have to say i am happy i have them. Have a seam leak in the 3piece rim once at WG and the TPMS went off on the track alerting me. I went right off the track, drove into town when I realized it was the rim leaking. did a quick dismount and remount over a lunch and only missed 1/2 a run session. if not for the TPS i would not have known this becasue i ahd my pressures stable at that point and wasnt chekcing like a hawk btwn runs
how could a leaking seam be fixed by dismount/remount? you must mean a bad bead seat? to fix a bad seam you would have to take the wheels apart and reseal them.

anyway, i agree, i like having TPMS
Old 06-17-2010, 01:07 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WNeal
Since then, a shear genius of a gadget man has absolutely solved my problem via the Flux Capacitor in the rear of my car.
must be a set of sensors in a sealed pressurized PVC pipe? anyway that's a common solution.

Get notified of new replies

To Track wheels running without TPMS pros/cons?

Quick Reply: Track wheels running without TPMS pros/cons?